Marvin Lewis: Replacement ref didn’t know defenseless receiver rule

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Granted, I haven't followed it all that much. But I heard on the radio tonight that the Refs and League are $45M dollars apart. Seems like a money grab by the refs. Nobody goes to the game to watch the Refs. I bet they can find guys to ref the games for free if they had too. So we will have bad calls.... it will even out over time. Heck, maybe GB may win a game because of a bad call on the other team. I'm not too worried about it. My only concern is it maybe distracting to watch a game and hear about the replacement officials on every call.

There will be league officials up in the booth. Hopefully they'll be able to step in and correct horrendous calls.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do your own google search. Complaints about the officiating has gone up in recent years. Part of that might be attributable to the annual rule changes in recent years.

To quote you, "Can you cite something to back that up?"

OR... it could be that the NFLRA is worried about not getting paid at all this year and eventually being replaced permanently. There's two sides to every coin.

"To my chagrin"? I personally don't care if they make any concessions or not. Although I would expect some from the NFLRA as well. Regulars... replacements... in the end it won't make much difference either way.

BTW, the NFL's offer is already pretty damn generous according to the following:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/30/breaking-down-the-divide-in-the-nfl-nflra-disput/

average pay for NFL officials last season was $149,000. (Not bad for a hobby.) Under the NFL’s most recent (and perhaps final) proposal, the average official would earn $189,000 by 2018.

When you consider that they put in about 1/4 of the time NBA and NHL officials do and 1/6 of the time that MLB officials do, you can plainly see that they are by far the highest paid officials in the world on a per hour basis. I see no reason to sympathize with their "plight." The last paragraph of the article I cited sums it up perfectly.
Can I cite something to back that up? I think I can:http://wap.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000056673/roger-goodell-stresses-need-for-negotiations-with-nflra/
Or perhaps I should just say "Do your own google search".

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Last night it took them 6 1/2 minutes to determine that there was a penatly on a punt in the Vikings game. Over to the replay booth, finally they re-punted the ball, after a 5 yards penalty. 6 1/2 freaking minutes.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can I cite something to back that up? I think I can:http://wap.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000056673/roger-goodell-stresses-need-for-negotiations-with-nflra/
Or perhaps I should just say "Do your own google search".

Oh, I see. You're confused. Goodell said never said the NFL wouldn't be fine with replacements for now. That's what we call a leap of logic. He said there was a need for NEGOTIATIONS. BTW, it takes two to do that. But I understand. You're obviously pro-union and think the NFLRA should get every thing it wants. Unfortunately for them, I think as the replacemenst continue to improve each week. The part-timers become more and more expendible.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last night it took them 6 1/2 minutes to determine that there was a penatly on a punt in the Vikings game. Over to the replay booth, finally they re-punted the ball, after a 5 yards penalty. 6 1/2 freaking minutes.

Are you telling me you've never seen the part-timers take an inordinate amount of time to make calls? They do it all the time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There will be league officials up in the booth. Hopefully they'll be able to step in and correct horrendous calls.

They are there, but they are not allowed to make any decisions

I posted a link stating it

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ben Roethlisberger had a near mirror image of that play either last year or 2010 except the result was a first down on 4th and 1.

If you go look at the replay (instead of a still shot) it is clear that this is the exact same situation..

So your saying because one ref make a call a certain way that is the end all be all way of handling similar situations?

I looked at replay..I TOOK the still to show where the ball and feet were

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you telling me you've never seen the part-timers take an inordinate amount of time to make calls? They do it all the time.

Um... I think only you can answer that question, but I would guess that you do.

You claim the reg refs do it all the time..So I like to see..

Meaning you have a video, or a article, or we have to just trust your word?

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe you'll get the incredibly persuasive "Do your own google search" line, too!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So your saying because one ref make a call a certain way that is the end all be all way of handling similar situations?

I looked at replay..I TOOK the still to show where the ball and feet were

Okay, did you play it long enough to see him get clobbered by 3 guys? You wanna know why there was no personal foul? Because the slide was too late. As such, it was invalid. As such, the ball gets spotted as normal, per Mike Periera. But you know better than him, so I'll defer to your wisdom on the subject.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

You do realize for every truth there is not necessarily an article or video, right? The mighty Internet isn't the end all and be all of everything. I'm beginning to wonder if you even watch the games now, or whether you're capable of making your own judgments. And no, I couldn't find any specific news stories outlining any occurrance, you know why? Because it's such a common thing that it simply isn't news worthy.

BTW, you want to talk about officials affecting the outcome of games? Do you happen to remember the Packers/Cardinals playoff game 2.5 years ago?

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, did you play it long enough to see him get clobbered by 3 guys? You wanna know why there was no personal foul? Because the slide was too late. As such, it was invalid. As such, the ball gets spotted as normal, per Mike Periera. But you know better than him, so I'll defer to your wisdom on the subject.
A majority of NFL players sampled in a recent Sporting News poll feel the game will be impacted to some degree with replacement refs. Only 14 of 146 polled think it will be business as usual with replacements.
Is this because most of the players are pro-union?
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...sporting-news-player-poll-players-fear-effect

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A majority of NFL players sampled in a recent Sporting News poll feel the game will be impacted to some degree with replacement refs. Only 14 of 146 polled think it will be business as usual with replacements.
Is this because most of the players are pro-union?
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...sporting-news-player-poll-players-fear-effect

Given that the results are so far skewed to one direction, I would say it's clear there is some bias. So yes, a good portion of those guys are likely saying that because they're pro-union. Why wouldn't they?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You do realize for every truth there is not necessarily an article or video, right? The mighty Internet isn't the end all and be all of everything. I'm beginning to wonder if you even watch the games now, or whether you're capable of making your own judgments. And no, I couldn't find any specific news stories outlining any occurrance, you know why? Because it's such a common thing that it simply isn't news worthy.

BTW, you want to talk about officials affecting the outcome of games? Do you happen to remember the Packers/Cardinals playoff game 2.5 years ago?

I give up

Have fun

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in what is going on with this, Peter king has a nice write up in this weeks MMQB.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in what is going on with this, Peter king has a nice write up in this weeks MMQB.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/02/mmqb/index.html

Another story showcasing these fine, upstanding men in the striped pajamas, aka the replacement officials: I cannot say which game this story happened in, but I can tell you it did happen. Final preseason game for two teams. Official calls defensive pass-interference in front of the penalized team's bench. Head coach lambastes the official. Official picks up the flag, tells the coach he's not going to make the call. Coach is stunned.

If I read it all correctly, this is what I understand

Official want $4 million in salary and retirement (it would make them have a better retirement than full time employees of the NFL, refs are part timers

League will give $1 million

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So.....................

Refs just as good as last year?

Not by a long shot..

Not to mention the Seattle game they just blew a RULE...not a call but the 10 sec rule when a player is hurt under 2 mins to go..

They didnt run 10 secs off the clock is what I heard the announcers say

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
IMO, the refs for the 49ers game were very bad. So inconsistent. What is pass interference? What is holding? etc. Anyone agree or disagree?

Latest posts