Marvin Lewis: Replacement ref didn’t know defenseless receiver rule

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looked like there were bad calls on both sides of the ball, but the biggest thing is they ruined any flow to the game with their conferences after just about every play. At least the game moves faster with the real refs, good or bad.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
There were way more bad calls on the packers then the 49ers. The damn refs took the wind out of our sails several times. The calls were BS. The 49ers got away with 3 false starts that never got called, they got away with several holding calls, they got away with pass interference yet well get called on it...even offensive pass int when JJ was not even pushing off. All the ref saw was the WR put his hands up and BAM, we got nailed with a BS call.

Reaction score
Well it's not like the NFL can't afford to give these guys the pensions they want. They have enough to pay the Jamarcus Russels of the world. The refs make anywhere from 25-100k a year depending. Just another corporate holdout to make us believe the middle class is ******** them. If anyone is for the NFL on this one they're just plain stupid.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57509385/replacement-referees-give-seahawks-extra-timeout/

Replacement officials in Sunday's game between Arizona and Seattle made a mistake by awarding the Seahawks an extra timeout in the closing seconds.
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll called timeout with 30 seconds left, but the officials had announced two plays earlier Seattle used its last one when receiver Doug Baldwin was injured.

After huddling, then meeting with two different people from the sideline, the officials determined the previous stoppage had been on an incomplete pass, so the Seahawks were not charged with a timeout.

Under NFL rules, teams are required to use a timeout for an injured player in the final two minutes, whether the clock is running or not.

In New York, Bills defensive end Mario Williams - who was a non-factor against a Jets offensive line that protected mark Sanchez throughout and gave him plenty of time to throw - complained about the replacement officials after the game.

"Obviously, some of the officials on the field don't understand what constitutes an offsetting penalty, and that's disappointing," said Williams, who signed a six-year, $100 million deal in the offseason that is the biggest for a defensive player.

"Also, pass blocking doesn't include hands to the face. When someone tells the officials that and they just walk away, or they don't call it, that's disheartening."

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Last night it took them 6 1/2 minutes to determine that there was a penatly on a punt in the Vikings game. Over to the replay booth, finally they re-punted the ball, after a 5 yards penalty. 6 1/2 freaking minutes.

This, to me, is the worst part of the replacement refs. Some of those games yesterday took forever and it was just boring to sit around and wait and wait while they made up their mind. In one game they kept mis-spotting the ball, mismanaged the time clock, and kept getting overruled by the extra ref on the sideline.

The worst part about these refs right now is what they are letting teams get away with. Receivers are getting pummeled. The Eagles defenders were hanging on Ravens receivers all through the game. Detroit repeatedly threw illegal picks last night and not one was called. It's the sheer amount of non-calls that are endangering players.

The integrity of the NFL season is at risk if the league doesn't get this straightened out. Whichever team wins this season, even if it is the Packers, may have to have an asterisk placed after their name in the record book, because we can't be sure of any professional consistency. At least with the Professional refs there is a certain degree of consistency. Teams know when they are cracking down on interference calls, or which Ref squad has particular tendencies toward which calls. Just my opinion...

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This, to me, is the worst part of the replacement refs. Some of those games yesterday took forever and it was just boring to sit around and wait and wait while they made up their mind. In one game they kept mis-spotting the ball, mismanaged the time clock, and kept getting overruled by the extra ref on the sideline.

The worst part about these refs right now is what they are letting teams get away with. Receivers are getting pummeled. The Eagles defenders were hanging on Ravens receivers all through the game. Detroit repeatedly threw illegal picks last night and not one was called. It's the sheer amount of non-calls that are endangering players.

The integrity of the NFL season is at risk if the league doesn't get this straightened out. Whichever team wins this season, even if it is the Packers, may have to have an asterisk placed after their name in the record book, because we can't be sure of any professional consistency. At least with the Professional refs there is a certain degree of consistency. Teams know when they are cracking down on interference calls, or which Ref squad has particular tendencies toward which calls. Just my opinion...
This is becoming more surreal as the season goes on:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1338023-nfls-defense-of-replacement-referees-misses-the-mark
And also: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-embarrass-the-nfl-on-monday-night-football/

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I call BS regarding this "integrity of the game" nonsense. Most of these guys are doing just fine. Yes, 4 or 5 of the crews really stink. But there are 4 or 5 of these replacement crews who have been very good. They would be an instant upgrades over the likes of Jeff Triplette, Walt Coleman, Bill Levy and Pete Morelli and should be offered permanent jobs whenever the NFLRA comes to its senses.

If the NFLRA doesn't want to get their butts back to work by mid-season, I hope Roger Goodell goes all Ronald Reagan on their ***.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Gee, no bias there or anything :rolleyes:

You know how to recognize bias? Easy. They throw 120 officials all in one basket when one crew makes a mistake. The article should have said, "This crew is an embarrassment." not "the replacement officials are an embarrassment."

Let's say the NFLRA finally gets their heads out of their butts for a second. Do you think when Bill Levy or Walt Coleman's crew inevitably screws up you'll be reading articles that say, "The real refs are an embarrassment?" No, you won't. That wouldn't be fair, would it? Neither is the broad paintbrush they're using right now. And that is called BIAS.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gee, no bias there or anything :rolleyes:

You know how to recognize bias? Easy. They throw 120 officials all in one basket when one crew makes a mistake. The article should have said, "This crew is an embarrassment." not "the replacement officials are an embarrassment."

Let's say the NFLRA finally gets their heads out of their butts for a second. Do you think when Bill Levy or Walt Coleman's crew inevitably screws up you'll be reading articles that say, "The real refs are an embarrassment?" No, you won't. That wouldn't be fair, would it? Neither is the broad paintbrush they're using right now. And that is called BIAS.
Do you think Aaron Rodgers is a biased, pro-union schlub when he makes comments like these on the situation?:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Aaron-Rodgers-on-refs-You-have-to-understand-the-rules.html
Based on your previous comments in thread, I'm guessing "yes".

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tweet about tonight's game from ESPN's Rick Reilly: "NFL just announced small error in tonight’s officiating crew. Three guys are from Foot Locker."

H

HardRightEdge

IMO, the refs for the 49ers game were very bad. So inconsistent. What is pass interference? What is holding? etc. Anyone agree or disagree?

I've watched a few games, and parts of several others, and I think the crew that worked the GB/CHI game was the worst I've seen this year. However, I've seen the regular refs call equally bad games from time to time.

The crew that called the DAL/NYG game, for instance, did an outstanding job. Only one or two questionable calls there, and those were not black and white...much better than the average NFL game with regular refs.

As for the title of this thread, don't you guys remember the late QB hit penalty on Matthews early last year? I can't remember the game, but I sure remember the hit. Clean as a whistle...one step after the ball was gone, no head or neck contact, and he rolled him down instead of burying him...picture perfect...flag. Terrible call. The regular ref did not know the rules.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've watched a few games, and parts of several others, and I think the crew that worked the GB/CHI game was the worst I've seen this year. However, I've seen the regular refs call equally bad games from time to time.

The crew that called the DAL/NYG game, for instance, did an outstanding job. Only one or two questionable calls there, and those were not black and white...much better than the average NFL game with regular refs.

As for the title of this thread, don't you guys remember the late QB hit penalty on Matthews early last year? I can't remember the game, but I sure remember the hit. Clean as a whistle...one step after the ball was gone, no head or neck contact, and he rolled him down instead of burying him...picture perfect...flag. Terrible call. The regular ref did not know the rules.
Isolated blown calls during the course of a season are one thing, but the lack of control that some of these replacement crews have shown is shocking. And once again, after tonight's MNF game, the issue of player safety was brought up (by Steve Young, who was pretty adamant that the NFL doesn't care about that).
This is not a good situation. More and more players, coaches and fans are not satisfied with the job the replacements are doing. In some instances they are mistakenly instituting college rules when assessing penalties. That happened in tonight's game.
You'll see even more articles tomorrow about how badly these crews are doing, and how the NFL needs to solve this problem quickly.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dear god is this true?

A ref that did a NFL game this weekend, did a 7th grade game tonight?

LOL

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you think Aaron Rodgers is a biased, pro-union schlub when he makes comments like these on the situation?:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Aaron-Rodgers-on-refs-You-have-to-understand-the-rules.html
Based on your previous comments in thread, I'm guessing "yes".

Rodgers was talking about a specific call made on a specific play. (BTW, we've seen plenty of missed blocks like that with the "real refs"). Notice he didn't try to paint all 120+ officials with one broad stroke. He also didn't call them an "embarrassment." And nobody is saying the officials don't need to continue to fine-tune their understanding of the finer differences between pro and college rules. However, it's only the pro-union schlubs who are attempting to argue that they are incapable of continued improvement in that area. Here's an idea:

1. Issue a 3 day ultimatum to the NFLRA that either they report to work or they're fired.

2. Sign the replacements to individual full-time contracts.

3. At the end of the season, evaluate each official individually and weed out the chaff.

4. Offer the resulting openings to any of the old officials who are willing to work full-time and want a job.

With officials honing their skills 365 days a year, the benefits for the long run will be far more competent officiating than the NFL ever had with the old system. The fans won't stop watching. The players won't stop playing, and in due time the NFL will be better for it overall.

5. Profit.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Isolated blown calls during the course of a season are one thing, but the lack of control that some of these replacement crews have shown is shocking. And once again, after tonight's MNF game, the issue of player safety was brought up (by Steve Young, who was pretty adamant that the NFL doesn't care about that).
This is not a good situation. More and more players, coaches and fans are not satisfied with the job the replacements are doing. In some instances they are mistakenly instituting college rules when assessing penalties. That happened in tonight's game.
You'll see even more articles tomorrow about how badly these crews are doing, and how the NFL needs to solve this problem quickly.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

You're talking about Jim Core's crew. That crew has been solid both weeks. I like that he doesn't have the need to deliver a full speech every time he uses his microphone, ala Ed Hoculi. The shame of it all is that if the NFL ends up ultimately bringing back all of the NFLRA guys, then Walt Coleman will get his job back. If you want to talk about horrible officiating, he's the poster boy. And that's the problem with referee unions. They promote mediocrity. Each official should negotiate their own contract according to the value of their work.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Yikes

When Jon Gruden says a game of football is hard to watch, we've got a problem.

The perpetually positive, football-obsessed ESPN announcer couldn't take it anymore during the first half the Atlanta Falcons' win over the Denver Broncos on Monday night.

The half was filled with delays, overturned calls and a general lack of confidence from the officials.

"Honestly. It's embarrassing. The command and control of this game is gone," play-by-play man Mike Tirico said. This was early in the second quarter. The game already was 90 minutes old.

Some fighting went on at one point and players were touching the refs or bumping into them?

I thought that was an automatic kicked out of the game?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Last night might have been the straw to break the camel's back. Money wise what the Refs are asking for all total is less than a small fraction of what one premium QB makes.

This is a multi-billion dollar business. What's the big deal of paying them what is the equivalent of pocket change for the players.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The refs screwed the skins on Sunday and the refs lost control of the Monday night game as well. It's terrible.

I think I can count on one hand the number of games that have been run correctly and efficiently. It's not about a single missed call, it's about noticing every game multiple times the terrible job they are doing.

This has turned into a disaster.

If we did everything that Ronald Reagan did, we would be negotiating with terrorists and raising taxes as well.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems these guys are forgetting how mediocre the regular NFL officials are. I could easily see the regulars making the exact same calls these guys did. The replacements are doing fine and if anything, they're letting them play a little more, which I personally welcome. I simply have no sympathy for a bunch of part-time officials who make anywhere from $60-150/hour who are only marginally better than what we have now. I don't even fault them for the no-call on the deep pass to Nelson. Non-calls like that happen all the time in the NFL.

To me, it seems like a lot of the complainers are guys who have taken sides with the regulars.
Care to double down on these comments?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts