Marviel Underwood getting cut

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety Underwood to be cut
The Packers plan to release safety Marviel Underwood on Tuesday, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice tonight.

Underwood suffered a season-ending knee injury in training camp last year and never appeared to be back to full speed in training camp.

McCarthy cited the Packers' depth at the position and a desire to give Underwood a chance to land with another team as reasons for the timing of the release.

Guessing we'll keep 4 safeties... Collins, Manual, Rouse and Bigby

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now just get rid of manuel, i think he is just another ahmad caroll, different position maybe but same quality.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
We have depth at the position? I missed that.

Can we hide Underwood on the Practice Squad?

I'd hate to lose him while keeping Manuel without giving him the customary full year after recovery to re-establish himself.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only 1st and 2nd year players can be put on the practice squad. So it was either the 53 man roster for Marviel or bust, and it looks like the latter right now.

It's to bad because he was showing a lot of promise. Now watch and after we cut him, he latches on with another team and become their starter and a really good safety. :p

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The 05 draft class for the Pack is getting thinner and thinner....

Two starters and a third soon... Not a bad class but doesn't look outstanding either.

1 24 Aaron Rodgers QB
2 51 Nick Collins FS

2 58 Terrence Murphy WR (Injury)
4 115 Marviel Underwood DB
4 125 Brady Poppinga LB
5 143 Junius Coston C

5 167 Mike Hawkins DB
6 180 Mike Montgomery DT
6 195 Craig Bragg WR
7 245 Kurt Campbell CB
7 246 Will Whitticker G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he has had his chances.

Actually, he hasn't. In his second season, he was beginning to emerge in training camp as a possible starter, which is good for a fourth round pick, then he suffered the devastating knee injury. He was really behind the eight ball in training camp this year because it generally takes two years to fully recover from that injury. He looked very stiff out on the field, and he didn't have enough game experience to compensate for his restricted movement.

That's what's sad about this. He never really had a chance.

If Bigby beats out Manuel, it's not out of the question that Manuel might be cut, because I don't think he would take the demotion well and Thompson would rather keep a younger player with more upside. What needs to happen is for Culver or Peprah to make a case for being on the roster. Culver has had a very quiet training camp, after showing some promise last year, although personally I thought he was a bit overrated. Peprah got an interception against Seattle, so maybe he'll get a chance to prove himself with the second string this week.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had his chances. I like the move in that it gives the others more playing time in the pre-season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was inevitable. He didn't seem like the same player. If he had made that INT against the Steelers like he could of, he would not be in this position right now. I think he could end up as a pretty good player on another team if he recovers but once Rouse was drafted, and Bigby stepped up, Underwood's fate was sealed.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I with we would have put him on IR for on the PUP. He obviously came back too soon from his injury. I wish him good luck in th efuture and hope he latches on with another team. LET'S GO ATARI!!!

Members online

Latest posts