Martin Ready As No. 2 WR; Jennings Game-Time Decision

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Packers.com

If Greg Jennings is unable to play on Sunday, Ruvell Martin will be elevated to No. 2 receiver, but the extra workload is nothing the first-year player is going to get worked up about.

After all, he actually got his first NFL start last week, when the Packers opened in a three-receiver set. And he played the second half last week as the No. 2 receiver, when Jennings left at halftime with an ankle injury.

"I got experience the second half of the Miami game, so it's definitely something I got to do then," said Martin, who had his first two NFL receptions against the Dolphins. "I think once you start getting in the flow of the game and things start going the same way they've been going in practice up to that point, you start to get used to it."

McCarthy said he was hopeful Jennings would be able to practice Friday, but he did not after running on the ankle Thursday and experiencing soreness. McCarthy said they will have Jennings go through a pre-game workout on Sunday, and his availability will be a game-time decision.

Meanwhile Martin will take the same level-headed approach that landed him on the roster as a longshot and has moved him up as injuries and other circumstances have warranted. He's not going to let himself get too excited, but at the same time he's going to communicate with and listen to the veteran players on the offense to pick up as much as he can.

"It's one of those things where you learn maybe on the run," he said. "As things happen, you go over it on the sidelines, figure out what's going on, and you make the appropriate adjustments. But for the most part, it's playing football. We're expected to make common sense plays, like knowing where to go as far as scrambles and stuff like that.

"The comfort level is there, and definitely last week helped going through it."

Added value
Ahman Green's 70-yard fourth-quarter touchdown run last Sunday provided the Packers far more than just six points at a critical moment in a game.

It has given the entire offense the ideal picture of what a perfectly blocked zone-scheme play looks like. Offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said earlier this week it was the most perfectly blocked play he has ever seen, and anytime he's going to teach the zone scheme with film, that's the first play he'll show.

"As far as the confidence we are able to pull from that game as a football team, the confidence we are able to pull for our run-blocking unit from that play, there are a number of things from that game that we'll be able to draw from," McCarthy said.

Injury update
Defensive tackle Corey Williams (questionable, knee) and Green (probable, knee) both returned to practice Thursday and Friday and are expected to play.

Tight end Tory Humphrey was added to the injury report Friday after tweaking his ankle on Thursday. He did practice on Friday but is listed as questionable.

Local pilot
At the end of the national anthem on Sunday, two U.S. Navy F/A-18 Super Hornets will fly by Lambeau Field. The lead pilot, Cmdr. Stuart Baker, is a Green Bay native. The aircraft originate from Naval Air Station Lemoore in California.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good God, can we go one year without being hit by key injuries?

jennings = key injury

at least we get to see what martin\francies have. I think a lot of us like Ruvell Martin(i like his first name) but practice\preseason is different from playing on Sundays, but I hope he does well.

Advice to Martin: Catch the first pass, otherwise Favre WILL be hesitant to throw to you(and rightfully so, he likes to throw to guys who usually catch his passes).

go packers!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Advice to Martin: Catch the first pass, otherwise Favre WILL be hesitant to throw to you(and rightfully so/quote]

Question?

Did Brett complete his first pass?

As an old firend use to say to me... "The Thing Of The Thing Is."

"The thing of the thing is".... Brett needs to remember when he was learning the speed of the game as a rookie. Your right Trom, Your words.... Brett tends to do that and that is not a good thing from a leader.

Every person in the Hall of fame has failed at one time, they blew a coverage, dropped a pass, did not set their feet right on the OL and got blown away, or took too much time in the pocket. If they did not fail they would not have succeeded.

Show me a person who fails the fastest and learns from it and I will show you a person who is in the hall of fame.

Brett needs to go back to his roots some times and not expect perfection from kid's when he was not perfect as a kid.

R.P.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they do well to...has anyone heard anything on how Chad Clifton is doing?? Will he play on Sunday?

Im sure he will the reason he didnt play last week was because he got sick the night before. He isnt on the injury report or anything.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can R.P. change his name to "The Philosopher" or maybe "The Philosophizer" ?

hehehe

but yeah i dont expect the young WRs to be lights out, but at least get a rhythm with #4 before you struggle, otherwise you might as well not be out there, cuz favre is a creature of habit, he likes guys who catch his passes, and if you disappoint him a couple times early...you should just get off the field.

but Martin and Francies looked solid last week(1 had a sideline catch, and 1 had a 4th down conversion) and probably instilled some faith from #4 into them, but can they man up for 60 minutes? we'll see in a couple days.

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone remember last year, when our receiving corps was made up of Donald Driver and a bunch of castoffs and practice squad players? Players that, by the way, didn't exactly earn a spot on this year's team?

I'm glad we've moved beyond that debacle. I'd hate to have that one become a recurring nightmare.

Oh, wait....

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Jennings can play but would like to see Martin come in and get some good receptions, having Green a good thing to have because it takes presure off Favre and the receivers and Green is looking good enough to do that. As for DD/Jennings/Martin I wouldn't mind seeing some luck come there way.

Members online

Latest posts