Martellus Bennett on Trade Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
According to Adam Schefter, Martellus Bennett is looking to be traded. I think this would be the best possible option for the Packers depending on the trade offer.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read some on this a while back. Da bearz apparently seen a decline. I wouldnt hate the idea of a solid big veteran TE to solidify the corps. But i wont be happy unless we get a speedier TE too.

The double negative is basicly a "yea, but..."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No thanks on Bennett, unless he has had an attitude change. Have read too much negative stuff on the guy in the way of whining and not being a good teammate. Not worth shelling that kind of money out for a "me me me" guy.

Not to mention the fact that becoming a trade partner with the Bears would be a long shot at best.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple years ago I might've been interested. It says a lot that the Bears don't really want to keep him. Also, seems we'd have to give up a draft pick to get the guy, and giving a division rival picks is probably not a good thing to do.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Adam Schefter, Martellus Bennett is looking to be traded. I think this would be the best possible option for the Packers depending on the trade offer.

Bennett was one of only a few tight ends averaging even less yards per catch than Rodgers. No, thanks.

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he has animosity towards the Bears and gets cut, it could be a very good signing for us. I'm sure TT would reach out to #56 if he was considering picking him up.

With that being said, Rodgers is a similar TE with a lot more football in front of him, and I think we need a speedier complement. Green seems like the ideal fit.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Even if Ted did want him, I have a hard time believing the Bears would trade him within the division. And if they did it would be at a premium price. I'd give him a look if he is released but I don't see it via trade.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Ted did want him, I have a hard time believing the Bears would trade him within the division. And if they did it would be at a premium price. I'd give him a look if he is released but I don't see it via trade.
Damn near impossible, imo.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would have to have Gronk-like ability to be worth the headache of his personality. He doesn't.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Bennett as a player. If he's released, he should definitely be considered. He averages 10.3 yards a catch and still has 2-4 good years in him. He plays well when he's happy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like Bennett as a player. If he's released, he should definitely be considered. He averages 10.3 yards a catch and still has 2-4 good years in him. He plays well when he's happy.

While an average of 10.3 yards per reception is better than Rodgers' abysmal one last season it isn't something to get excited about either.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Dougherty wrote a column a couple of days ago stating the obvious, "Packers should seek TE on market". He notes how rare it is for a rookie TE to immediately contribute and then lists some TEs available like Green, Davis (?), Allen, Cook, and Fleener. He writes Bennett is one of the most complete TEs and has 50+ catches in each of the past four years, but:
He didn’t make the trip for Chicago’s Thanksgiving night win over the Packers last season after carping about his undersized role in the game plan at practice that week. He skipped all voluntary work last offseason because he wanted a pay raise. And in 2014 he was fined and suspended during training camp for slamming a teammate to the ground during a fight in practice. ... “Knowing some people back there in Chicago, he’s a real high-maintenance guy,” the scout said. “I think they’re going to move on from that. You’re looking at the scale, does that counterbalance what he’s doing for them on the field? And I think their thoughts at this point are no. “It’s a mixture of attitude and ‘I can’t play this week because of this,’ and then he wants the ball more..."
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ackers-should-seek-tight-end-market/81212004/

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While an average of 10.3 yards per reception is better than Rodgers' abysmal one last season it isn't something to get excited about either.

Agreed. I just think he has good football left in him. He'll probably have a good season for the Bill or somebody else next season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard a 3rd pick suggested, but I think it should be at least a 2nd. We will take Bennet if the Bears also give us a 2nd round pick.

H

HardRightEdge

Bennett has a $6.3 mil cap number for 2016. I doubt anybody will trade for that. The Bears will release him to pick up the $5 mil in cap savings once there are no takers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dougherty wrote a column a couple of days ago stating the obvious, "Packers should seek TE on market". He notes how rare it is for a rookie TE to immediately contribute and then lists some TEs available like Green, Davis (?), Allen, Cook, and Fleener. He writes Bennett is one of the most complete TEs and has 50+ catches in each of the past four years.

I'm not interested in Vernon Davis for obvious reasons or Dwayne Allen who doesn't fit the Packers need of an athletic tight end. As I've said repeatedly I would prefer to get Ladarius Green, be fine with Coby Fleener and only moderately excited about Jared Cook.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not interested in Vernon Davis for obvious reasons or Dwayne Allen who doesn't fit the Packers need of an athletic tight end. As I've said repeatedly I would prefer to get Ladarius Green, be fine with Coby Fleener and only moderately excited about Jared Cook.

Jared Cook is the classic looks likes Tarzan, plays like Jane guy. He has every skill in the world, but for some reason hasn't had a breakout season; however, I'm intrigued with what he could possibly do in a competent offense with an exceptional quarterback. He has been lingering with the Titans and Rams for way too long.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Aaron's Brother Luke saying the Packers have interest in Bennett, did he get this from AR or just speculating?

https://twitter.com/thelukerodgers/status/707286909970735104

I just don't see this trade happening.

Seems like the Packers would have to pay a premium for the Bears to make the trade to a division rival AND the Packers better be darn sure that the change in location will be motivation for Bennett to have an attitude adjustment. Given what the Colts just paid out to Allen, Bennett's salary for this year could look like a bargain if he performs well, but he would also be a UFA at the end of 2016 unless the Packers redo his contract.

This article is probably more accurate:

http://showtimesports.sportsblog.com/posts/13781298/report--packers-want-martellus-bennett.html

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a chance a deal is done with the Bears. First of all, the Bears wouldn't give us a player that could help us. Secondly, what if whatever pick we give them becomes a perennial Pro Bowl player and hurts us for years?

Plus, there's a chance he'll be cut anyway and can be signed.

A trade is not going to happen.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a chance a deal is done with the Bears. First of all, the Bears wouldn't give us a player that could help us. Secondly, what if whatever pick we give them becomes a perennial Pro Bowl player and hurts us for years?

Plus, there's a chance he'll be cut anyway and can be signed.

A trade is not going to happen.

If the trade is right, and its their best offer, believe me, the Bears would do it. I have seen plenty of divisional rivals trade draft picks before mid draft to move up/down etc.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything that I read is that trade rumors were unfounded. However, some expect the Bears to cut Bennett. If that is the case and he's willing to sign a cap-friendly deal with an attitude adjustment, I'd be in favor. The guy has talent. However, this is one of the reasons why Ted gets bashed. He would rather suffer through a good locker room with less talent than grab the guy with more high risk/high reward/high salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts