1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Martellus Bennett on Trade Block

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by KyraReppe5, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyraReppe5

KyraReppe5 "We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."

Ratings:
    +105
    According to Adam Schefter, Martellus Bennett is looking to be traded. I think this would be the best possible option for the Packers depending on the trade offer.

2. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    I read some on this a while back. Da bearz apparently seen a decline. I wouldnt hate the idea of a solid big veteran TE to solidify the corps. But i wont be happy unless we get a speedier TE too.

The double negative is basicly a "yea, but..."

3. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,931
    No thanks on Bennett, unless he has had an attitude change. Have read too much negative stuff on the guy in the way of whining and not being a good teammate. Not worth shelling that kind of money out for a "me me me" guy.

Not to mention the fact that becoming a trade partner with the Bears would be a long shot at best.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jrock645

jrock645 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +64
    A couple years ago I might've been interested. It says a lot that the Bears don't really want to keep him. Also, seems we'd have to give up a draft pick to get the guy, and giving a division rival picks is probably not a good thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,630
    Bennett was one of only a few tight ends averaging even less yards per catch than Rodgers. No, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. UpDownEndAround

UpDownEndAround Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    If he has animosity towards the Bears and gets cut, it could be a very good signing for us. I'm sure TT would reach out to #56 if he was considering picking him up.

With that being said, Rodgers is a similar TE with a lot more football in front of him, and I think we need a speedier complement. Green seems like the ideal fit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    Even if Ted did want him, I have a hard time believing the Bears would trade him within the division. And if they did it would be at a premium price. I'd give him a look if he is released but I don't see it via trade.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. C-Lee

C-Lee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +367
    Pass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. CashInFist

CashInFist Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +68
    Damn near impossible, imo.

10. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    He would have to have Gronk-like ability to be worth the headache of his personality. He doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
  12. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    I like Bennett as a player. If he's released, he should definitely be considered. He averages 10.3 yards a catch and still has 2-4 good years in him. He plays well when he's happy.

13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,630
    While an average of 10.3 yards per reception is better than Rodgers' abysmal one last season it isn't something to get excited about either.

14. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +327
    And he's a me-first, spoiled little kid cancer in the locker room when he's NOT happy... no thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Dougherty wrote a column a couple of days ago stating the obvious, "Packers should seek TE on market". He notes how rare it is for a rookie TE to immediately contribute and then lists some TEs available like Green, Davis (?), Allen, Cook, and Fleener. He writes Bennett is one of the most complete TEs and has 50+ catches in each of the past four years, but:
    http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ackers-should-seek-tight-end-market/81212004/

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. CashInFist

CashInFist Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +68
    /thread LOL

17. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    Agreed. I just think he has good football left in him. He'll probably have a good season for the Bill or somebody else next season.

18. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    I heard a 3rd pick suggested, but I think it should be at least a 2nd. We will take Bennet if the Bears also give us a 2nd round pick.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,726
    Bennett has a $6.3 mil cap number for 2016. I doubt anybody will trade for that. The Bears will release him to pick up the $5 mil in cap savings once there are no takers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,630
    I'm not interested in Vernon Davis for obvious reasons or Dwayne Allen who doesn't fit the Packers need of an athletic tight end. As I've said repeatedly I would prefer to get Ladarius Green, be fine with Coby Fleener and only moderately excited about Jared Cook.

21. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    Jared Cook is the classic looks likes Tarzan, plays like Jane guy. He has every skill in the world, but for some reason hasn't had a breakout season; however, I'm intrigued with what he could possibly do in a competent offense with an exceptional quarterback. He has been lingering with the Titans and Rams for way too long.

22. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Aaron's Brother Luke saying the Packers have interest in Bennett, did he get this from AR or just speculating?

https://twitter.com/thelukerodgers/status/707286909970735104

I just don't see this trade happening.

Seems like the Packers would have to pay a premium for the Bears to make the trade to a division rival AND the Packers better be darn sure that the change in location will be motivation for Bennett to have an attitude adjustment. Given what the Colts just paid out to Allen, Bennett's salary for this year could look like a bargain if he performs well, but he would also be a UFA at the end of 2016 unless the Packers redo his contract.

This article is probably more accurate:

http://showtimesports.sportsblog.com/posts/13781298/report--packers-want-martellus-bennett.html

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    Not a chance a deal is done with the Bears. First of all, the Bears wouldn't give us a player that could help us. Secondly, what if whatever pick we give them becomes a perennial Pro Bowl player and hurts us for years?

Plus, there's a chance he'll be cut anyway and can be signed.

A trade is not going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    If the trade is right, and its their best offer, believe me, the Bears would do it. I have seen plenty of divisional rivals trade draft picks before mid draft to move up/down etc.

25. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    Everything that I read is that trade rumors were unfounded. However, some expect the Bears to cut Bennett. If that is the case and he's willing to sign a cap-friendly deal with an attitude adjustment, I'd be in favor. The guy has talent. However, this is one of the reasons why Ted gets bashed. He would rather suffer through a good locker room with less talent than grab the guy with more high risk/high reward/high salary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.