Marshall Newhouse worries me

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Finally, it's TOTALLY RIDICULOUS to imply that he's so bad that he got Sherrod injured. Injuries happen all the time on the field and you can't pick one guy and put it on him. What's sad is that Sherrod was having by far his best game against KC, and if/when he's back I expect him to push Newhouse hard for the starting spot. It'd be really nice to have Newhouse as a backup at both tackles.
Its just being trite, as far as I know nobody actually believes Newhouse did anything intentional to get Sherrod Injured. Its a good natured sarcastic jest. I don't expect Sherrod to push Newhouse until next year (Sherrod 2013) And as great as a back-up Newhouse would be, just think of the trade bait/compensatory we could get for him!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The closest thing to a pancake Newhouse got last year was probably a trip to IHOP. I don't want to bash the guy but he looks more like a right tackle who was plugged in at LT because we didn't really have any other options..wait i think that really happened now that i think about it:eek: ???? Anyways he got worked against athletic d-ends last year so what should we expect from him this season?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about you answer my question: Who, right now, today, is available and is an upgrade at the position?

I don't recall anyone saying there was a better option, just that Newhouse is not a good option. He simply is a below average left tackle, adequate against average competition, incompetent against the elite pass rushers. We all need to hope for Sherrod to be ready to begin practicing soon, and be able to beat out Newhouse in the next few weeks. Sherrod has so much more physical talent, it's just a question of when he's able to contribute.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to you guys, the Packers' defensive line must suck terribly. Newhouse posted a 14-2-2 record in 1-on-1 drills during camp this year. It's unbelievable how quick you all jump over a guy who never even suited up for a game until last season.He's essentially a second year player with two training camps under his belt and a handful of starts last season. We can all lay down our pitchforks and give the guy some time to develop. Left tackles are lot more like QBs than most positions, where except for the rare player they need time to learn, develop, and mold into a solid player.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I say we just start letting newhouse use anabolic steroids.....when it comes test time, just let mason crosby **** in the bottle for him. Problem solved. lol........just a joke for those that can't catch them.

W

wxman2003

I remember all the whining with Bulaga the first half of his first year as a starter. Now he is pro bowl caliber. LT is not as important when you have a qb that rolls out to the right. Newhouse's main job will be to slow the rusher down so AR can roll out to the right, not to keep the pocket open for 4 seconds.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never like to openly bash any player on this team but I'm not sure about Newhouse. But to give him credit he was only a part of why the O-Line was so unstable not the reason itself.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Newhouse was horrible against the better pass rushers in the regular season; the last two games he played much better. I have no idea which one will be around next season but the idea of Rodgers having him to protect his blind side still scares me.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's your suggested/projected lineup?

Sherrod - Newhouse - Lang - Sitton - Bulaga?
Hard to say about Sherrod. Even Bulaga concerns me. I liked the way Barclay came on. Hadn't thought of Lang at center but that is intriguing. Yes Newhouse and Sitton at guard.

In summary our tackle situation to me needs improvement. Thee's going to be a lot of free agent tackles available btw.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True but I think all of our money goes to our own free agents. Bulaga had a rough year even before the injury. I expect him to bounce back. And it's gonna be tough to not give Sherrod a chance to lock down LT next season.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he needs to get a try there. Just not sure he's the answer. We've seen so little of him to just say he is going to be able to hold down the position.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll never see him at guard. He's just not a good enough run blocker and a lot of his faults result in him not being a finisher. Both of those things are more important things to have in a guard.

Some people are just mental guards, some tackles. Whale was a 'tackle' that had the brain of a guard. Same with Lang. Guard is sudden, tackle is patient. You're sudden and lunge, you get beat around the edge. If you're patient and wait for the DT to make his move, you get walked back.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's your suggested/projected lineup?

Sherrod - Newhouse - Lang - Sitton - Bulaga?
I think that's a great dream.
I am, sadly, not holding my breath that Sherrod will ever be as good as we hoped he'd be, because of that horrific injury.

I thought Newhouse was much better as a pass blocker this year, and according to this from PFF, he was. But he was one of.... http://packersinsider.com/?p=5239

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think that's a great dream.
I am, sadly, not holding my breath that Sherrod will ever be as good as we hoped he'd be, because of that horrific injury.

I thought Newhouse was much better as a pass blocker this year, and according to this from PFF, he was. But he was one of.... http://packersinsider.com/?p=5239
It's just a broken leg. He'll need to get back into football shape and regain his speed, lot of lower atrophy, but that's about all. It's a completely recoverable injury that actually has a pretty high recoup rate.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article is from when he was in college. The physical specs foe G and T are different, and we've definitely invested in making Newhouse the latter. Had we committed to him as a G early on I'd say you would be right, but we built him into a swing tackle.

Then we failed. He hasn't played well at tackle. He has had trouble with speed rushers just like they said he would coming out of college. We need to change the investment and work to where he can play best. Maybe the Packer staff tried to put a square peg in a round hole.

The bio may have been from college but it made good points about his best position in the pros. Just about every pre draft report projected him to be a guard in the pros. I can pull up numerous scouting reports saying that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts