Marshall Newhouse at LT

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess who is one of the top 5 tackles in the league so far this season when it comes to pass blocking?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/17/snapshot-pbe-offensive-tackles/

We've been hearing that Newhouse has taken a big step forward. This pretty much confirms it. And who has taken a big step back? That's right, Bulaga is in the bottom 10. In all fairness to Bulaga, he has been battling tendenitis all season.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I knew Bulaga had taken a step backwards this year but Newhouse seemed to be the same old same old when doing the old eye test watching the games. I like the way PFF measures the positions that dont have a lot of "stats" and it was interesting to see Marshall Newhouse rated that high. Good for him. Here's hoping he keeps it up and bulaga catches back up :tup:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Newhouse is going to be fine. The day will come when we will talk about him the same way we spoke of Cliffie in his prime.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm.. I really like how Newhouse has performed so far in his 2nd year also. So what do we do when Sherrod comes back healthy? :unsure:

As I understand Sherrod has the higher upside. But it's hard to bench a player like Marshall.

OP
OP
ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm.. I really like how Newhouse has performed so far in his 2nd year also. So what do we do when Sherrod comes back healthy? :unsure:

As I understand Sherrod has the higher upside. But it's hard to bench a player like Marshall.

Sherrod is not even practicing yet. I'd be very surprised to see him at all this year. However, if Bulaga doesn't get out of his funk, maybe sometime in December Sherrod might get some playing time at RT?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah...I agree with everything here. The thing that we need to bear in mind is that Sherrod, through no fault of his own, hasn't shown anything. I don't think that anyone can speculate on what the guy can do until AFTER he goes through the growing pains that accompany the guy protecting QB1's blindside. It's inevitably going to be ugly at the git-go, and people like us will be blasting away at him while he learns the job ... yeah, when Sherrod gets back, he'll have to be head and shoulders above Newhouse to unseat him in my opinion. As the song goes: "You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind...". I believe that Newhouse keeps the job until such time that Sherrod proves that he's a verifiable upgrade by just walking onto the field. Thing is, Sherrod's rookie contract will be half-over before he sets a cleat on the surface -- that is when he starts learning the job. Unfortunately, learning the job at tackle involves getting your *** kicked regularly and everyone sees it because you're on an island, brother.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He has been a "lightswitch" player so far, in my opinion. On and off, on and off.....he got OWNED in seattle and at the bears and now against the Rams he didn't fair to well either. He has come a long way from what he was, but I still feel that he needs to be much better at protecting our MVP.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse is up and down so far. He is grading out well on the average but I'm sure the coaches are preaching consistency to him. If I were TT, I'd be watching this saga unfold throughout the season to see if Newhouse settles down as the season progresses. If so, great. If not then TT needs to decide if Sherod will take over or if he's got to acquire a new left tackle through draft/trade/FA.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The bad thing about sherod is: Will his off time have an adverse affect on his strength? Will he be limited on his movements? I know he will have lost tons of muscle in his leg(s) and that is his foundation. It make take him way to much time even after he is cleared to play to fully recover to palying level.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
With no off-season to speak of last year and only 3 weeks this year once hes cleared to practice, I dont see him replacing anyone sans injury.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts