Mark Roman wants OUT of Green Bay

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JSOnline:

Roman stuck in position
Safety unhappy, wants release

Roman wasn't specific about his complaint with the Packers, but according to a source, Roman felt the signals he was receiving from the club just before the Manuel signing were that he was going to be one of the leaders on defense. Soon after a discussion with the coaches about his position, he found out about the addition of Manuel.

Roman said he felt he deserved an explanation from general manager Ted Thompson about the mixed signals.

"Just the way it was handled," Roman said. "It was handled very poorly. There was a huge lack of communication. It was a situation where you think you've put in enough time with the organization that you've earned a certain amount of respect and to be completely disrespected. . . "

Roman, whose contract voids after this season, has not been attending off-season workouts at the Packers facility because he said he was mad with the way he was treated. Immediately after Manuel was signed, he asked the team for his release and they refused. He was told he would be in the mix for a starting job.

Thompson did not return a phone message seeking comment, but Roman said he had not heard any developments.

At the start of the mandatory minicamp, Roman was in the starting lineup. However, Manuel was on the sideline with a groin injury he suffered in the Super Bowl playing for Seattle, and it's unclear whether he'll be inserted with the No. 1 defense.

Roman admitted he asked for his release.

"I did," Roman said. "They said, no, basically. Then it was yeah, well. . . . It was handled badly. I don't know (if it will happen). While I'm up here all I can do is just play as hard as I can, whatever else happens happens."

Roman has started 31 of 32 games with the Packers since signing as a free agent in 2004 and has 190 tackles, 3½ sacks and two interceptions. He beat third-round pick Marques Anderson for the starting job in '04 and veterans Earl Little and Arturo Freeman in '05.

In his two years as a starter, Roman has not made many big plays and has given up nine touchdowns, a pretty high number for a safety. The Packers signed Manuel, a backup behind Roman in Cincinnati in 2002 and '03, to a five-year, $10 million deal that included a $1.5 million signing bonus.

Manuel was a backup with the Seahawks last season but was thrust into a starting role after Ken Hamlin suffered an off-the-field head injury. Manuel started in Super Bowl XL against Pittsburgh and has a good shot at starting opposite second-year pro Nick Collins.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he has sensed no problems with Roman on the field.

"He's practiced well," McCarthy said. "Had a short conversation with him. It's been good."

In the doghouse: Many people thought the Packers reached when they selected Clemson defensive tackle Donnell Washington in the third round of the 2004 draft.

It turns out they were right.

After two seasons of inactivity, the 6-foot-6, 328-pound Washington committed what could be career suicide by reporting to minicamp in such bad condition that Thompson would not put him on the field. Washington has watched all three of the practices from the sideline with injured players.

"It's not a positive," McCarthy said. "(He's) just not where he needs to be right now."

Up and running: Offensive lineman Kevin Barry's excessive weight might have allowed second-year pro Junius Coston to get a leg up on the starting right guard job.

Neither McCarthy nor offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski would say directly that Coston got the nod as the starter this weekend because Barry weighed in about 25 pounds over his goal, but they certainly didn't hesitate to get a look at the young Coston.

"I wanted to see him compete," Jagodzinski said. "He's the kind of guy who fits this system. That's what he's built for. He has the feet and the athleticism. He just needs to be consistent. (The coaches) are working his (butt) off."

As for Barry, Jagodzinski made it clear his weight is unacceptable.

"He knows what's expected of him," he said of the 340-pound Barry. "He's got an opportunity to be a starting guard. If I'm a guy from Racine, Wis., and I know I have a chance to play for the Green Bay Packers, you would think I'd get it done.

"He can still do it. He just needs to lose two pounds a week until the start of training camp. That will put him where he needs to be."

Sideline view: Offensive tackle Adrian Klemm suffered a sprained posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, according to McCarthy, and will be sidelined indefinitely.

Klemm was hurt in practice Friday and won't be available for the final practice today. McCarthy wasn't sure if Klemm would be available for the minicamp in two weeks.

Among those also sitting out were: cornerback Al Harris (back spasms), defensive tackle Tim McGill (knee), defensive lineman Kenny Peterson (ankle) and defensive tackle Johnny Jolly (ankle).

Short yardage: Cornerback Mike Hawkins said he put on 10 pounds and has his weight up to 188 while still maintaining 3.5% body fat. . . . Cornerback Charles Woodson is applying to the NFL to wear No. 2, the number he wore at Michigan, but the NFL is expected to reject his request. . . . Linebacker Ben Taylor lined up as the starter on the strong side a day after Roy Manning lined up there.
--------------------
Adios, Mark!

"In his two years as a starter, Roman has not made many big plays and has given up nine touchdowns, a pretty high number for a safety."

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he means, he wants out of the NFL?

So he doesn't like competition? He thinks he is just going to be handed the job? what a jerk.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers have a chance to trade Roman and a draft pick to the Cowboys for Julius Jones, like the rumor scout person has said, it should totally be done. Roman is worthless and Julius Jones is a very good running back.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate when players play the "Disrespected me" card. That's such ********. But what do THEY say when THEY hold out or do slimey stuff like that. "Oh, it's just business."

Bye Mark.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Package Roman\Carroll for a 7th rounder.

TT knows how to draft, our 7th round DE got an interception off of A-Rod yesterday! TTs previous 7th rounder started at RG mostly last year! go 7th rounders! Yay!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets not over-value julius jones here, after a breakout 2004...he really struggled at times in 2005, and it looks like marion barber could be the starter before long

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be different if the guy had SHOWN some ability. But Roman has done little to have the "they dissed me" attitude. He should REALIZE that he had a chance to cement himself into the position, and he didn't take advantage of it.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cowboys have been going hardcore after Safties lately. If they think that Roman can help them out and can get a draft pick as well they may go for it. Parcells like Marion Barber better anyway, so he would see it as trading a backup running back for a starting safety and a draft choice. I kind of doubt it will happen but it would be nice. Julius Jones was hurt last year, he didn't do that bad in games he actually played in.

Reaction score
While I admit the trade is unlikly, Parcells does have Jones in his doghouse, and is in need of a Safety opposite Williams. Their S on the roster are pathetic:

Justin Beriault
Marcus Coleman
Keith Davis
Abram Elam
Willie Pile
Pat Watkins
Roy Williams

There is not a single person who you can honestly say has done anything other than Roy Williams. That is why perhaps Parcells has targetted Roman, but regardless it is a long shot.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the story on Roman. Simply put he was another of many bad signings by Sherman. He wasn't a player in Cincinatti and he's not a player here. The fact that the Packers picked up another free agent safety should be sending Roman the biggest message of all; "you're not playing well, you can't cover, you can't tackle." As for disrespect, my gosh what does this guy think? He's fortunate to still have a roster spot. If he wants to play in front of the newly signed free agent, all he has to do is outplay him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
can we cut him june 1st?

Can you change your name you Denver Bronco fan!! :)

We should trade Roman (underacheiver) to the Cowboys for J. Jones (overacheiver)!

J. Jones
2004 as a rookie amassed 819 yards in 8 games (16 games would be 1600+)
2004 as a second year back amassed 993 yards in 13 games (16 games would be 1200+)

He also has 12 TD's in his two years. 7 as a rookie 5 in his second year.

You can see Jones for Roman is a good trade. For both teams. Cowboys need a third string Safety and the Packers need a young promising RB. Throw in a ... wtf am i kidding ... theres no way this is a possible trade.

I'll gladly GLADLY eat my words if this trade does go down lol and the cowboys will be me second favorite team :p

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course the Cowboys wouldn't trade Julius Jones for Mark Roman straight up, they would make us add a 2nd round pick or something like that.

I would definitely trade Roman and a 2nd round pick for Julius Jones.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
Of course the Cowboys wouldn't trade Julius Jones for Mark Roman straight up, they would make us add a 2nd round pick or something like that.

I would definitely trade Roman and a 2nd round pick for Julius Jones.

Eeek ... I dunno. I like Jones a lot but I don't know if i'd give up a 2nd err 3, 4 and 5th rounder for him.

The Cowboys do like that barber kid a lot ... who knows

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 2nd rounder would be pricey, I could understand throwing in a 4th or 5th pick in.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember hearing that Sherman didn't communicate very well with his players when he was GM, or other coaches for that matter. I was hoping this would change under TT. At least McCarthy indicated he should have called Roman, but that should be TT's phone call.

He can't please every player I am sure but I sure hope the Pack starts communicating their intentions a little better. I hear the other coaches say that, with McCarthy, "You know here you stand". I'd like to hear that about TT more often.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 3rd rounder and Roman for Julius Jones should be a no hesitation. DEAL! He's a underachieving back really. He was a 2nd round pick.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
A 3rd rounder and Roman for Julius Jones should be a no hesitation. DEAL! He's a underachieving back really. He was a 2nd round pick.
Seven TD's rushing as a rookie while compiling over 800 yards in just eight games, five TD's rushing as a second year back (splitting time with Barber) while totalling 993 yards in 13 games. Underacheiving?

He's started 15 (played in 17) games and has over 1,800 yards rushing. Underacheiving?

Per game the kid is averaging roughly 106 yards per game. Underacheiving?

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

How is that underacheiving?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Just the way it was handled," Roman said. "It was handled very poorly. There was a huge lack of communication. It was a situation where you think you've put in enough time with the organization that you've earned a certain amount of respect and to be completely disrespected. . . "

Sounds like J.W. and M.M.

This is going to happen every time you have a cancer in the locker room. Cancer spreads... I see it in companies in every city I fly into.

T.T. Must clean house.

Did any of you see Walkers interview on ESPN tonight.

This is just the Legacy Walker left the Packers.

RP

Members online

Latest posts