Mark Roman Cut!! Also Ingle Martin Signs

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the eve of training camp, the Green Bay Packers Thursday signed draft choices Daryn Colledge and Ingle Martin, and released safety Mark Roman. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the transactions.

Colledge, a 6-foot-4, 299-pound guard/tackle out of Boise State, was the Packers' first of two selections in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft. The 47th overall selection and sixth offensive lineman chosen, Colledge helped Boise State to a 45-7 record from 2002-05. During Colledge's career, the Broncos were 31-1 in the Western Athletic Conference en route to four straight conference championships. Along the way, he set the school records for consecutive games played and started (both 52). Listed on Green Bay's first depth chart as the starter at left guard, Colledge hails from North Pole, Alaska.

Martin, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound quarterback from Furman, was Green Bay's first of two choices in the fifth round (148th overall, eighth quarterback). He set career records at Furman for passing yards (5,751), passing touchdowns (42) and total offense (6,277) despite playing only two seasons. Martin had transferred to Furman in 2004 after spending his redshirt year plus two seasons at Florida, where he was recruited by Steve Spurrier. With the Gators, he served as backup to Rex Grossman as a freshman, then started at QB for four games as a sophomore before new coach Ron Zook replaced him with prized freshman Chris Leak.

Roman had signed with the Packers as an unrestricted free agent from Cincinnati prior to the 2004 season.

Colledge and Martin join defensive end Dave Tollefson (June 23), defensive tackle Johnny Jolly (July 7), safety Tyrone Culver (July 11), cornerback Will Blackmon (July 14), tackle/guard Tony Moll (18th), wide receiver Greg Jennings (Monday), wide receiver/kick returner Cory Rodgers (Tuesday) and guard/center Jason Spitz (Wednesday) among the 10 draft choices who have signed contracts. Just two of Green Bay's NFL-leading 12 draft choices - first-rounder A.J. Hawk and third-rounder Abdul Hodge, both linebackers - remain unsigned.

Why would They Cut Mark Roman now? Didnt he have even a little trade value? That solved one problem who is going to be our starting Strong Safety.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here come the draft\trade experts, that think they work within the NFL, but are sitting in front of a computer screen...

I wont let that bring me down! Roman is...OUTTA HERE!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Releasing Roman at this point was doing him a favor. He wouldn't have made the final roster anyway and he now can sign with another team in time to attend their training camp.

As to Martin, good to see him signed. We needed a QB to run the scout team.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eastcoastpacker said:
The article goes on to say that coach McCarthy expects to have Hawk in camp before tomorrow first practice.Doesn't say much about Hodge.

If Hodge is the only one who misses time in training camp, both he and his agent are idiots.

Maybe that's why he fell as far as he did in the draft.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first off.... trom if you dont quit dressing your dog up... ill be highly disappointed in you.

secondly SEE YA ROMAN. weve moved on. what we had was special, and at times i even enjoyed it. but honestly your just not what we need. we need someone who cares about what we want, and about our feelings. someone who isnt selfish. And after this, we cant be friends.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with some atop of me. We definitly should have traded Roman. Yeah, he wasnt the greatest, but he wasn't the worst. We could have gotten a little somthing for him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
I agree with some atop of me. We definitly should have traded Roman. Yeah, he wasnt the greatest, but he wasn't the worst. We could have gotten a little somthing for him.

Ya know this kind of comment amazes me. Some call Ted snakey then when he cuts a guy early so he can find another team he's called out for not getting something, anything for him?

Face it, Roman sucked. Ted did him a favor. End of story.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would have been nice if you could have at least gotten somting for Roman, but the truth is, sometimes teams know you're going to cut him so why give something up. The guy isn't a very good football player. If you've watched him play the last three years you would all know that. It is no loss to us that he is gone. But sometimes those 7th round picks that you'd hope to get for a bumm like Roman can turn into players.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes just what you said packed You never know who could possibily become a half way decent player. For example Tom Brady/Donald Driver...

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing the Vikings are already on the phone with Roman and his agent. As an ex-Packer he meets their #1 critieria in evaluating a player.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Queens would have signed Roman if they wouldnt have gotten dwight smith, Hell they may still sign him just because they try to sign like everyone

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
I'm guessing the Vikings are already on the phone with Roman and his agent. As an ex-Packer he meets their #1 critieria in evaluating a player.
Boy I hope so! I will miss Mark Roman just about as much as Mike Hawthorne. Yeah, this guy was an NFL starter by default. He'll be picked I'm sure, but I highly doubt any general manager was going to give much more than a couple cases of beer for him.

Aren't any of you sick to death of having strong safeties with TNS (Tiny Nut Syndrome). We have not had an eigth man in the box safety since the Great Leroy Butler shattered his shoulder blade.

I am going to enjoy watching Manuel and Underwood laying wood out there. The freeway up the middle of Green Bay's is getting closed. Bye, bye Mark.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Collins, Collins, COLLINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He Was Laying Some Nice Hits On Chad Johnson Last Year.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
Dude

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Collins, Collins, COLLINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He Was Laying Some Nice Hits On Chad Johnson Last Year.
Collins is the free safety, didn't I say strong safety with TNS.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O ya you did sorry. Anywho the Queens Were to busy signing another damn player.

SportsTicker reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent WR Dez White (Falcons) to a contract. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the scout heard right on that one...
1. Mark Roman could be released

Roman could possibly be released if Green Bay feels safe with Marvel Underwood as the top backup. Roman is unhappy in Green Bay and the Packers are looking to get younger all over. If Underwood impresses the coaches enough, it could mean the end of Roman as a Packer. Word is Underwood had a solid mini camp.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
O ya you did sorry. Anywho the Queens Were to busy signing another damn player.

SportsTicker reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent WR Dez White (Falcons) to a contract. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
No problem PL, I expect to be getting some crap the usual suspects shortly.

Collins has a very bright future in Green and Gold. I bet Jim Bates kind of regrets his decision not to continue being the DC. The talent level has improved exponentially over the last 2 years.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Roman could possibly be released if Green Bay feels safe with Marvel Underwood as the top backup. Roman is unhappy in Green Bay and the Packers are looking to get younger all over. If Underwood impresses the coaches enough, it could mean the end of Roman as a Packer. Word is Underwood had a solid mini camp.

Many people said he could/would be released. If that's the type of information our 'insider' is gonna throw to us, we might as well find a new one. ;)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

Many people said he could/would be released. If that's the type of information our 'insider' is gonna throw to us, we might as well find a new one. ;)

I agree perhaps we should find someone else.

Members online

Latest posts