Mark Roman Cut!! Also Ingle Martin Signs

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers | Team waited for other safeties to step up before releasing Roman
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:53:31 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said the team wanted to see some other safeties on the roster prove themselves before they could release S Mark Roman, which they did Thursday, July 27. However, after watching several young prospects perform during recent minicamps and organized team activities, Thompson decided it was best to release Roman. "As we're signing our rookies we had two more guys than we can go to training camp with," Thompson said. "We like the look of some our young guys and we felt that Mark did a good job here, but letting him go now allows him to hook on with another team and get a job." Asked why the Packers didn't just release him when he asked so he would have an even better chance of landing with another team, Thompson said, "We hadn't made that determination yet. With any of these things, we'll do things at the right time, but we'll do them after we've carefully considered all the other options."

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's face it...if there were a DEMAND for a player like Roman, we would have gotten something for him. There apparently was no demand for the guy. He will sign on with someone...which means that the demand is limited to being a free pick-up...nothing worth throwing a pick (even a 7th) at.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What exactly is this guys value? He is too slow to play FS, he can't even cover a tight end, and he thinks he's Tarzan and hits like Jane. Somebody please explain to me what value Roman has.

The sad fact of the matter is that he will be picked up by another team, and possibly start. I think the Rams and Vikings always look to Green Bays rejects.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:
Looks like the scout heard right on that one...
1. Mark Roman could be released

Roman could possibly be released if Green Bay feels safe with Marvel Underwood as the top backup. Roman is unhappy in Green Bay and the Packers are looking to get younger all over. If Underwood impresses the coaches enough, it could mean the end of Roman as a Packer. Word is Underwood had a solid mini camp.

Many people said he could/would be released. If that's the type of information our 'insider' is gonna throw to us, we might as well find a new one. ;)

I agree perhaps we should find someone else.

I think its silly to bring up scouts accuracy on such an obvious an presumed statementl.

Mark Roman could be released <-- Nothing solid with that at all. 'Could' is the key word. Anyone who watched the Packers knew he 'could' be cut ... we all threw beer at the tv when Roman wiffed a tackle :)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we even expending energy over this move. Whether we got something or not, the team is better with him gone as the young guys have begun to step up.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Why are we even expending energy over this move. Whether we got something or not, the team is better with him gone as the young guys have begun to step up.

Energy? ****, I'm at work on a conf call jus listening. This posting stuff can be done while sleeping! (an reading some of my posts i would have to say i was sleeping during a few)

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
So it is written, so shall it be done.

Digs, whose the next Nancy boy on the hit list? It seems that most of them have been weeded out, but I have faith that you can come up with another.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Dakota....(I like that name...it reminds me of the faithful cowboy sidekick...."Why, I'm sherriff Roscoe Pendleton...and this here's my deputy, Dakota.")...there are severlal that come to mind.

First and most obvious.....BJ Sander...no more needs to be said.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Zac Alcorn will win out the 3rd TE spot, pushing Donald Lee to #2, and pushing David Martin and Tory Humphrey out the door. Once again Martin is having a good early showing, but I think TT will favor Alcorn's blue-collar toughness and great hands over Martins littany of nicks and bruises and inconsistent in-season performance throughout his career. TT first and foremost likes toughness and Alcorn is a tough and talented kid...perfect to develop at #3.

Another tough minded youngster, Josh Bourke will ride Adrian Klemm right on outta town. Klemm is a tackle option only to remain on the Packers roster...he will not be here as a guard as we have much youth and committment to that spot....plus he sucked miserably at guard last year. Bourke is tough, smart and athletic...and will be groomed at tackle. By-by Adrian.

Any others come to mind to you?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Well, Dakota....(I like that name...it reminds me of the faithful cowboy sidekick...."Why, I'm sherriff Roscoe Pendleton...and this here's my deputy, Dakota.")...there are severlal that come to mind.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Zac Alcorn will win out the 3rd TE spot, pushing Donald Lee to #2, and pushing David Martin and Tory Humphrey out the door. Once again Martin is having a good early showing, but I think TT will favor Alcorn's blue-collar toughness and great hands over Martins littany of nicks and bruises and inconsistent in-season performance throughout his career. TT first and foremost likes toughness and Alcorn is a tough and talented kid...perfect to develop at #3.

Another tough minded youngster, Josh Bourke will ride Adrian Klemm right on outta town. Klemm is a tackle option only to remain on the Packers roster...he will not be here as a guard as we have much youth and committment to that spot....plus he sucked miserably at guard last year. Bourke is tough, smart and athletic...and will be groomed at tackle. By-by Adrian.

Your thoroughness is why you are Sherriff, and I am only the duputy, but I would think William (starter by default because we didn't have any money in the piggy bank to sign another OG that didn't suck) Whittaker may be toast. The only reason this guy makes our team is because Barry got hurt already as the backup RT.

Can we please just refer to David Martin in the future as Tyrone the second.

Ferguson might be gone as well, but he may make the team because his downfield blocking is superb. I always had his back until the alligator arms showed up last year. Can't hardly blame the guy for hearing footsteps though. The Darius clothesline/decappitation attempt would have ended a lot of careers.

Our roster is starting to resemble a brotherhood of football players again.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Our roster is starting to resemble a brotherhood of football players again."

Good call Dakota....no room for Nancies on THIS team. ****, we had become as soft as a warm marshmallow over the last 5 years.....very nearly matching the softness of the Rams at their peak....a benchmark for the measure of softness in the NFL.

Hell, when "The Matador" (Mark Roman) is your starting safety....waving his cape and spinning to avoid the contact....you kow you are soft.

This will be a HARD and TOUGH team whom opponents will regret bumping into in the very near future.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
"Our roster is starting to resemble a brotherhood of football players again."

Good call Dakota....no room for Nancies on THIS team. ****, we had become as soft as a warm marshmallow over the last 5 years.....very nearly matching the softness of the Rams at their peak....a benchmark for the measure of softness in the NFL.

Hell, when "The Matador" (Mark Roman) is your starting safety....waving his cape and spinning to avoid the contact....you kow you are soft.

This will be a HARD and TOUGH team whom opponents will regret bumping into in the very near future.
I always thought Darlene Sharpier was the Matador.

Remember 04's secondary, Harris - Sharper - Roman - Hawkins/Carroll/Thomas. Poor Al. The game at the RCA Dome was absolutely painful to watch.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I remember about that game is the abject unwillingness to pull Michael Hawthorne out of the game when it was abundantly clear he could not even run with their receivers, let alone cover them.

Classic MS move.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
What I remember about that game is the abject unwillingness to pull Michael Hawthorne out of the game when it was abundantly clear he could not even run with their receivers, let alone cover them.

Classic MS move.
How about staying in a base defense until halftime expecting Barnett to cover the slot receiver 30 Yards downfield. That Slowick was one Defensive Guru.

We better quit now before Pro (I'm not allowed to say his name) crowd comes and gives us a lecture on humanism.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

You may be right about Bourke but JJ wanted Klemm in Atlanta last year as a Tackle not Guard but he signed with GB for more $. If he shows he can contribute at tackle in this scheme he may make it as a backup. Jago said bringing him in to play guard last year was a mistake which it was. He stunk there.
We also need a few players along the line with some prior PT. Especially after Barry went down. That also plays in Klemm's favor to keep a spot.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Please, Zero, keep up! What the hell have been arguing about for the last six months. The other side just hasn't chimed in yet!
What the hell have been arguing about? Who or what?

I'm at work, don't confuse me!! :)

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
DakotaT said:
Please, Zero, keep up! What the hell have been arguing about for the last six months. The other side just hasn't chimed in yet!

I'm at work, don't confuse me!! )
Out or respect for my man Depack, I will not use HIS name in vain ever again.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Zero2Cool said:
DakotaT said:

I'm at work, don't confuse me!! )
Out or respect for my man Depack, I will not use HIS name in vain ever again.

His? What? I thought DePack was DeGirl? :p