Mark Murphy dodges questions on Rodgers' contract

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go quite that far. Why can't he be evaluated on the pieces he places around him? He can't be credited with building a team from the bottom up until Rodgers is gone, but that's not always the job.
Only Rodgers can evaluate him.. havent you learned anything???

seriously tho..

I am starting to wonder if the board is to blame.. 2 gms and the qb has issues how things are done?

I know for a fact bergstrom was.on the board and declared after bretts int in nfccg vs giants brett was done as a packer.

Could the board pulling strings??

Far far fetched ut common denominator is qb hate gm

D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree. He's already shown he has a lot of traits that make GM's better than others. Having a good QB helps, but then having a good QB doesn't always in it all either, it just means you have a good QB. While QB play can greatly influence the overall wining and losing, a QB by itself isn't the measure of a good GM either.

I agree that Gutekunst has made some excellent moves but in my opinion there's no way to fairly evaluate him until Rodgers won't make up for other shortcomings on the roster.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't go quite that far. Why can't he be evaluated on the pieces he places around him? He can't be credited with building a team from the bottom up until Rodgers is gone, but that's not always the job.
Yeah you're right. I didn't word it quite right. I was talking in terms of his legacy. What will be said about him once he's gone, meaning? A big part of that will be how he handles the QB position post-Rodgers. Of course, all of his decisions contribute to his legacy. So far, I'd say he's doing an above average job, after all he's got a super bowl contender. But he inherited Rodgers. He did fail in communicating with Rodgers, but Rodgers gets low grades for his own communication style.

It will be interesting to see how he handles the QB position. Hopefully he has the same success as Wolf and TT.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this to me is surprising that no one on the board recognizes Murphy to be part of the whole inept MM/TT/Capers good ol boys club for years. Yes - he is a problem.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this to me is surprising that no one on the board recognizes Murphy to be part of the whole inept MM/TT/Capers good ol boys club for years. Yes - he is a problem.

I think they know and don't care. I yearn for the days when we had an adult in charge--Bob Harlan. Now we are saddled with an incompetent boob.

D

Deleted member 6794

As I've mentioned repeatedly Murphy has been excellent in making sure the Packers continue to make a profit. He shouldn't be involved in football decisions though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned repeatedly Murphy has been excellent in making sure the Packers continue to make a profit. He shouldn't be involved in football decisions though.
That's true but I'm afraid he's a lot more involved in football decisions than he should be. I preferred Bob Harlan's style. As far as I can tell, he either wasn't involved in football decisions or ultimately deferred to the GM. Things just seemed to be smoother when Harlan was around.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true but I'm afraid he's a lot more involved in football decisions than he should be. I preferred Bob Harlan's style. As far as I can tell, he either wasn't involved in football decisions or ultimately deferred to the GM. Things just seemed to be smoother when Harlan was around.
Spot on...he got Ron Wolf and the rest is history...as for Murphy, he needs to be muzzled and if he refuses remove him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spot on...he got Ron Wolf and the rest is history...as for Murphy, he needs to be muzzled and if he refuses remove him.
Thanks Lambeau. I wish he'd just go back to that college where he was the administrator, I think. The best example of his massive ego was on display at the presser announcing MLF's appointment to HC. Murphy did almost all the talking, when the rest of us were interested in what MLF had to say.

It was a tone-deaf performance by Murphy, and it hasn't and won't get any better. Green Bay - the team, the city, and the fans deserve much better.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF looked and spoke like a freshman in a speech class with seniors for the first time doing public speaking in his life. Murphy was saving him lol

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome, then this California cry baby can make another team bow to his demands
Yeah I think the smart money is on Rodgers being gone next year. If he had made his intentions clear back in late February or March there would have been time to trade him before the draft. Once the draft was over, he was either going to play or sit out the year. He's wasn't going to toss away that much money so at the last minute he reported to TC.

But not before making the FO, his teammates, and - most important - the fans suffer with a "will he or won't he" scenario. Even Favre didn't pull that BS.

I look at it this way - he showed his true colors this year. He's a selfish little rich boy and now a part-time GM. I'll miss all the wins. I won't miss Rodgers. And after all these years, that's a shame.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did make his intentions clear and they blew him off for months. He didn't make any demands before the draft, that's when the media decided to make it a story. They called him a complicated fellow, because he is. It wasn't about the money, it wasn't about Love, it wasn't about any of it. It was about them not having enough respect to hear some concerns from their best employee.

I don't think Rodgers is or should be a GM. I don't think he should have a say in personnel other than maybe what might work best on the field for certain situations, but not for who is on the roster. But you bet your *** he deserves a seat at the table to have his concerns at least heard. every employee does and they blew him off.

It's funny, now that's it's over I don't think any of what he did was selfish. I think he did it for every other player on the team. I bet they rally their ***** off this year around him. You can see the respect and admiration just from the interactions on the sidelines between coaches and players alike towards Rodgers. I think this was anything but selfish and the guys that go to battle with him every week recognized and know that.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did make his intentions clear and they blew him off for months. He didn't make any demands before the draft, that's when the media decided to make it a story. They called him a complicated fellow, because he is. It wasn't about the money, it wasn't about Love, it wasn't about any of it. It was about them not having enough respect to hear some concerns from their best employee.

I don't think Rodgers is or should be a GM. I don't think he should have a say in personnel other than maybe what might work best on the field for certain situations, but not for who is on the roster. But you bet your *** he deserves a seat at the table to have his concerns at least heard. every employee does and they blew him off.

It's funny, now that's it's over I don't think any of what he did was selfish. I think he did it for every other player on the team. I bet they rally their ***** off this year around him. You can see the respect and admiration just from the interactions on the sidelines between coaches and players alike towards Rodgers. I think this was anything but selfish and the guys that go to battle with him every week recognized and know that.

This is exactly where I stand on this stuff. Especially because Rodgers *was* communicating, or attempting to, with management and teammates and did NOT take his beef to the media, as far as I can see. Of course, pretty hard to see from the outside how that Schefter story was massaged/planted/nourished, so who knows. But it doesn't smell like a Rodgers plant to me, and I think we would smell it if it were.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i haven't found a way to agree or "like" a post yet (i'm new), so i'll just say +1

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If this has been boiling up in Rodgers...and has been for some time, where is the common denominator?

1. Lafleur - nope just became coach 2 years ago
2. Gute - nope just became GM 3 years ago
3. Mark Murphy - DING DING DING DING....common denominator. He IS the problem

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If this has been boiling up in Rodgers...and has been for some time, where is the common denominator?

1. Lafleur - nope just became coach 2 years ago
2. Gute - nope just became GM 3 years ago
3. Mark Murphy - DING DING DING DING....common denominator. He IS the problem
Also Board of directors, where Mark Murphy is the secretary.

Murphy been pres since Dec 2007 so that means he helped get a SB

Brett had similar issues before Mark was the pres.

Everyone keep dissing the notion the BOD has input.

But I would be more surprised if it was known they had no input on players

Members online

Latest posts