Mark Murphy announced his retirement date

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder when people will start clamoring for Elliott Wolf again, this time for team president!

Buggy may have been Mark Murphy's schoolmarm? :roflmao:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder when people will start clamoring for Elliott Wolf again, this time for team president!

Buggy may have been Mark Murphy's schoolmarm? :roflmao:
Speaking of Elliot Wolf, what is he doing now? I know he went to Cleveland a few years ago. As far as team prez? He'd make a better GM I think. The prep wears a lot of hats, but I think focuses most of his time on the business, and of course selection of the GM, Dir. of Football Operations, and the HC. (Personally, I'd rather have the GM pick the HC.)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Speaking of Elliot Wolf, what is he doing now? I know he went to Cleveland a few years ago. As far as team prez? He'd make a better GM I think. The prep wears a lot of hats, but I think focuses most of his time on the business, and of course selection of the GM, Dir. of Football Operations, and the HC. (Personally, I'd rather have the GM pick the HC.)
He is in New England and currently is their Director of Scouting. I think Elliot's last name provides him with more open doors than many get, but not enough to open too big of a door. Not saying he isn't a good football guy, but he supposedly has been on a very short list of "Next up for a GM job", since 2018, when the Packers hired Gute instead. Maybe with more experience to fill out his resume with more than just "Ron Wolf's Son", he will get there eventually.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is in New England and currently is their Director of Scouting. I think Elliot's last name provides him with more open doors than many get, but not enough to open too big of a door. Not saying he isn't a good football guy, but he supposedly has been on a very short list of "Next up for a GM job", since 2018, when the Packers hired Gute instead. Maybe with more experience to fill out his resume with more than just "Ron Wolf's Son", he will get there eventually.
Thanks and agreed. It doesn't hurt that he's Ron Wolf's son, but he has to prove himself. Sounds like he's in the right position to do that. But IMO his next move will be as a GM, not a team president. Obviously the Packers didn't think he was ready, but that was 4 or 5 years ago.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The short-list probably starts with the current VP's...
Ed Policy - COO & General Counsel (will be 53 when Murph retires)
Craig Benzel - VP Sales & Business Development (will be 60 when Murph retires)
Paul Baniel - VP of Finance & Administration (62 when Murph retires)
... and of course Aaron Rodgers should he choose to hang 'em up by then. ;)

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The short-list probably starts with the current VP's...
Ed Policy - COO & General Counsel (will be 53 when Murph retires)
Craig Benzel - VP Sales & Business Development (will be 60 when Murph retires)
Paul Baniel - VP of Finance & Administration (62 when Murph retires)
... and of course Aaron Rodgers should he choose to hang 'em up by then. ;)
OMG, Rodgers as team president...... Not gonna happen, he likes Malibu too much, and who can blame him? The other guys make sense, although I'd prefer they go outside the organization. It's time for some new ideas. The last 30 years have been great, but there will be some big challenges once Rodgers leaves.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's time for some new ideas. The last 30 years have been great, but there will be some big challenges once Rodgers leaves.
Yeah let's change what's been working. 22 playoff appearances in the past 30 years as opposed to 2 in the previous 25. Something just isn't right and we've gotta snuff it out. We need to find a fan that knows it's a business. Experience in the game as a player or coach/admin would help. We DON'T need "the first _____ team president" just because it is time. If it happens that the fill in the blank is the best candidate great.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OMG, Rodgers as team president...... Not gonna happen, he likes Malibu too much, and who can blame him?
I was stirring the pot with the AR comment... he's not qualified in any way for that position.

Read the brief resumes of each of the current VP's... very impressive, IMHO.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah let's change what's been working. 22 playoff appearances in the past 30 years as opposed to 2 in the previous 25. Something just isn't right and we've gotta snuff it out. We need to find a fan that knows it's a business. Experience in the game as a player or coach/admin would help. We DON'T need "the first _____ team president" just because it is time. If it happens that the fill in the blank is the best candidate great.
Hang on there Poppa. The search can include current employees and candidates outside the organization. To do less is just bad management, and we had plenty of that in the 70s and the 80s. It's a different position, but Ron Wolf was an outside candidate. Should management have taken a pass on him because of that? Wolf got the Packers out of their lousy hiring practices, at least in the football operation.

And yeah, the last 30 years have been great. That doesn't mean a thing for the future.

Hire the best candidate available. That seems kinda obvious. Certainly the guys in the organization should be interviewed. As Pkrjones noted, they have good resumes.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're confusing roles. Ron Wolf was the GM and we are talking about the president. If you want to stay on the Ron Wolf thing, he was hired by Bob Harlan who was ironically a long-time internal candidate.

I think that we all agree that you look inside and out for the next president. I think that Poppa zeroed in on your statement of 'preferring an outside guy', which didn't seem to strike the balance that your subsequent post espoused.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're confusing roles. Ron Wolf was the GM and we are talking about the president. If you want to stay on the Ron Wolf thing, he was hired by Bob Harlan who was ironically a long-time internal candidate.

I think that we all agree that you look inside and out for the next president. I think that Poppa zeroed in on your statement of 'preferring an outside guy', which didn't seem to strike the balance that your subsequent post espoused.
You're right El Guapo. I shouldn't have used the word "prefer" and it isn't what I meant. I meant it's healthy to look inside and outside. My bad.

I know Ron wolf was a GM, not a president. I only used it to highlight that outside hires can be good, or in Wolf's case, great. And some of my comments are colored by the 70s and 80s, which I lived through, when the Packers seemed to only rely on internal candidates - esp. HCs - Bengston, Starr (9 years), Gregg, Rhodes - it just wasn't healthy.

Anyway, yeah we all can agree, I think, that internal and outside candidates for president should be considered.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And I don't want the job, I'm retired, so Poker it is!
"Thank you...thank you...my first action as President will be to get rid of those drab green uniforms and replace them with deer hunting orange and camouflage brown. Second, a wrecking crew is currently on its way to tear down that antiquated stadium called Lambeau. It will be replaced by...."
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Thank you...thank you...my first action as President will be to get rid of those drab green uniforms and replace them with deer hunting orange and camouflage brown. Second, a wrecking crew is currently on its way to tear down that antiquated stadium called Lambeu. It will be replaced by...."
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Dude, you're a lock for the job.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just what we need. A Brat that likes to gamble. :laugh:

Ah What the hellmuth. You got my vote Poker :tup:
Well Poker I'll be waiting on the report from your Tom Silverstein interview in the JS. I just hope Rodgers approves, or is at least consulted. We know how those things go.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't forget that Murphy was elected as president from outside the organization in 2008 as well. Therefore I agree with Heyjoe that the team should look both inside and outside for his replacement.

It's interesting to note that actually John Jones, who had worked with the Packers since 1999, was assumed to take over as the team's president in 2007 but had to take an indefinite leave of absence because of a medical issue in May and the team officially cut ties with him in December.

Members online

Latest posts