Making the best of a bad situation in regards to our RB's

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, so like a few of you I spend the first part of my day pissed because we basically passed on Marshawn Lynch. Then I started thinking, we, the public, don't really know the in's and out's of the deal and what transpired on the phone and behind closed doors. Maybe if we had the whole story we would have agreed with TT on passing on Lynch... Maybe not... I don't know.

I do know that once the details came out recently about the "Randy Moss" situation from back in 07 that most of us went, "Oh, now I understand why TT didn't close the deal with Moss, it makes sense now..." I know that I at least can't be mad at TT for actually wanting to SIGN the player as opposed to RENTING him. Just because the Seahawks got Lynch for a 4th and a conditional 2012 pick, doesn't mean that's what we would have gotten him for....

But enough about Lynch, it's a done deal...

So here's what we're left with, let's make the best of a bad situation and support the team...

Keep in mind that the RB position is really about the easiest position in the NFL to backfill as long as the O-Line is acceptable (That's another issue...)

Dimitri Nance: The Packers signed this guy VERY quickly after Grant went down. So they for sure had their eye on him before Grant's injury and they were very encouraged with what they saw.

Also, Atlanta did not want to let him go... from their practice squad... so they apparently saw a lot of upside in him as well.

If two organizations have that high of an opinion on a guy, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt... Yes, he's taking a while to learn the playbook, but let's be real, it's been two weeks and from what I understand, it's an ENTIRELY different system, so...

James Starks: This guy has an injury history, which is never good, but..

The guy looks impressive to me on tape and I'm not sure if many know this but Mel Kiper had him as a 2nd round prospect before missing his senior year due to injury. Kiper was VERY high on him. Here's the scout on him:

Latest: University of Buffalo running back James Starks will miss the entire 2009-10 season due to a shoulder injury. An all-around athlete who combines size (6’2, 211), to go along with quick burst and acceleration, Starks has quite a bit of upside considering his past durability. The converted quarterback has also flashed the ability to throw and catch the ball during his Bulls career.
Skinny: Starks has great size and acceleration for a running back at 6’2, 205 and near 4.4-timed speed. Entering his senior campaign, the Niagara Falls native has an opportunity to post some big time numbers, coming off a year in which he accumulated 1,333 rushing yards, caught 52 passes for 361 yards and scored 17 total touchdowns. Could Starks be this year’s Donald Brown who skyrockets up the draft board because of his ability to not only run the football, but also catch it?

Starks is built similarly to Grant — both are relatively tall for the position, Grant at 6-foot-1 and Starks at 6-2, and weigh in the 220-pound range. At least in nonpadded practices, Starks also looks the more agile and athletic of the two, but toughness and power are crucial to success for an NFL back, and the Packers won’t get a sense until the preseason games whether Starks comes close to measuring up to Grant in those areas.

(Starks) is explosive, that’s what jumps out more than anything else,” Edgar Bennett said. “Has tremendous read, very good change of direction. And he has good hands coming out of the backfield. Just like any young guy coming into our system, it takes time.

Again, apparently TT was high on this guy, as he used one of his coveted draft picks on him. So I'll trust in him until he proves to me that he's worthless. The guy has been attending all of the RB meetings and film studies so he should be pretty well versed in the playbook.

TT has proven to be a pretty good evaluator of talent and we've got two chances here in Nance and Starks. Will either of them be a C. Johnson or A. Peterson? Hell no... But we don't need them to be. Grant wasn't either. We just need them to be able to relieve the pressure from our passing game and be able to pound the ball when the weather sucks at Lambeau. Like Grant did. I could be way off here, and they very well could come out and completely suck donkey balls. But until they do, I'm going to keep the faith and support my team! It'll be a cold day in hell when I act like one of those damn bandwagon jumping fans that we have to the immediate South and to the West! :chisux::viksux:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate you finding the silver lining and keeping it positive on here.
We need more posts like this.

So where are these guys?
When are they going to play?

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they give Nance a shot SOON. Im so sick of watching Brandon Jackson do nothing. Kuhn is getting a hell of a lot more done than Brandon. And I have a friend who is a Falcons fan and he seemed pretty pissed that they let Nance go.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate you finding the silver lining and keeping it positive on here.
We need more posts like this.

So where are these guys?
When are they going to play?

Nance is still learning the system. He's been in on limited specials teams plays thus far...

Starks started the season on the PUP. He should be ready to go after week 6 against the Dolphins (I'll be at that game BTW!!)

There was an article in either JSOnline or GBPressGazette about Starks, Bigby and Harris like last week I think outlining their progress. It said that Starks was the closest to 100%. He was running at full speed and was fine.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nance is still learning the system. He's been in on limited specials teams plays thus far...

Starks started the season on the PUP. He should be ready to go after week 6 against the Dolphins (I'll be at that game BTW!!)

There was an article in either JSOnline or GBPressGazette about Starks, Bigby and Harris like last week I think outlining their progress. It said that Starks was the closest to 100%. He was running at full speed and was fine.
Thanx for the reply.

What is PUP?

GreenBayTheOnlyWay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanx for the reply.

What is PUP?

Physically Unable to Perform list. It is where players are off the roster through six games due to injury. Then after six games, the team will either put them on season ending Injured Reserve if they are still unable to play, or they will create roster spots to add players back onto the team.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I wasn't worried about Lynch as of 98redbird's reason that we do have back up. Now yes our back up isn't playing right now and both have limitations, but until we get a running game going, just work on our passing game. We can do that very well. Nance is taking some time learning our playbook and nothing is wrong with that, would you rather have a RB who knows what the play calls for or one that gets shut down because he didn't learn first.

Starks and Harris are the two players I have been looking forward to see play again. I understand if Harris is sloppy, but Starks has a lot to prove yet is given a huge opportunity this year and I hope he does great. If he does I really would't mind having Starks and Kuhn as our real running backs. Kuhn has shown that he can do something, although slow he is powerful.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree in that I'm liking what Nance & Starks are going to bring to the table. For one Atlanta was as deep in RB's as Green Bay was a TE or WR. They do a good job of evaluating hard tough nosed RB's and if this guy was on their practice squad because they saw something in him. He has to learn the playbook but as you have seen GB needs to have a RB that knows how to finish off their runs by moving the pile or falling forward and not backwards like Brandon Jackson. Starks is another story. This guy might be a real diamond in the rough for GB. Coming into Training Camp people were already referring to the fact that he could supplant Jackson as our 3rd down RB because Grant was the Starter. One thing is for sure, a RB can make an impact as a Rookie. Now we have two young ones that have potential who really need to understand the pass blocking schemes more then anything because I believe they both can run the ball.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Grant was traded to the Pack Sept 1st of 07, he only had 3 carries up until the 8th week, then he had 22

He started the 9th week

Took him almost 9 weeks to get going Oct 29th

Packers got Nance on Sept 14th..So that could mean week 13th :( if he was anything like Grant

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant was traded to the Pack Sept 1st of 07, he only had 3 carries up until the 8th week, then he had 22

He started the 9th week

Took him almost 9 weeks to get going Oct 29th

Packers got Nance on Sept 14th..So that could mean week 13th :( if he was anything like Grant

Well time will tell, but one thing is for sure they will get their chance as the weather gets bad and teams dare GB to run the ball. We know Jackson isn't the answer and even though Kuhn has been extremely effective he might be more suited for FB. So then comes Nance and Starks(week#7) an infusion of Young talent. The opportunity will be there. Also does anyone know what the status of Will Blackmon is? He was released on a two week injury settlement after training camp and wasn't eligible to re-sign with the Packers until week 7.

I believe that with Bishop getting his chance to start finally, also with Harris & Bigby coming back by week #7 TT is gambling that he'll have the necessary replacements. However they have to get by the next 2 weeks which will not be an easy task.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Will Blackmon cant be signed by the Packers? Something about injury settlement rules..I could be wrong

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct!!

Green Bay Packers cut Will Blackmon, Chris Bryan, Spencer Havner | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

The Packers were hoping Blackmon would come back from Oct. 29 knee-reconstruction surgery to reclaim the job but decided that his persistently sore knee would not allow him to make it through the season healthy. He missed almost two weeks of training camp when the knee flared up in early August, and was out again the last week of camp.

Paul Lawrence, Blackmon’s agent, said the injury settlement will pay Blackmon for “a couple weeks,” after which his client can sign with any team but the Packers. He can’t re-sign with the Packers until six weeks after the injury settlement runs out.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts