Making sense of our picks

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like Cobb, Montgomery can line up at RB too. In fact, he did that a lot at Stanford. If you notice the hurry up-no huddle teams in College, they don't substitute and they'll line a WR up in the backfield with the QB so that they don't have to substitute when they are in the ZERO spread formation (meaning no backs in the backfield, just the lone QB) and have a defense back on its heels. So instead of subbing in a RB, they motion a WR into the backfield with the QB. Baylor and TCU do this a lot to defenses and its becoming a new trend that is pissing off defensive coordinators around the nation. We all know how Rodgers and CM like to go Up-Tempo/No-Huddle at times against certain defenses.......plus we saw a new wrinkle in our offense late last year where Cobb was lining up a lot in the backfield (more than usual) when we were running No Huddle-Up Tempo - So maybe this Montgomery pick is kind of playing off of that? And we are about to expand on that new wrinkle?

Maybe this is our line of thinking here? Drafting guys who can play in multiple positions depending on the scheme/set we are doing at that given time? Randall for example, our first rounder, can play any position in the secondary.

I see this draft so far as us drafting players who are position flexible. In other words, none of them are one trick ponies.

Not to mention, Randall, Montgomery and Rollins were all special team demons in College and don't mind doing the dirty work. Randall and Rollins were both gunners and Montgomery was a elite returner and also played on special teams coverage units. Montgomery also LOVES to block.

....anyway, just throwing these thoughts out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D so far IMO.... I was fine with the 1st pick but these other ones so far don't impress me...

Yeah, the other two picks were head scratchers for me too. They are/were good players in College, but yeah, I'd rather we went ILB and DT....but hey, fans needs and the front office needs are two different things I guess.

Anyway, I am just brainstorming here and figuring out why we drafted the way we have so far. There is always a method and a strategy, no matter how little sense it makes to the fans.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one of those things where I want to trust in ted but his defensive drafting has been a but suspect so it is difficult.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one of those things where I want to trust in ted but his defensive drafting has been a but suspect so it is difficult.

To be fair, Ted has been good at drafting DB's and WR's. Luckily DB's and WR's are all we have drafted so far I guess? LOL

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, I hope we draft a LB, DL and a TE with three of our last six picks.

Honestly, there will be good talent on the board into the 5th round. This draft is deep.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't say I'm excited about these picks yet, b/c I don't see them impacting as much this season. I was really hoping we would get an outstanding tackler like Perryman, b/c he would help us immediately...but, he wasn't there. I do feel these first 3 picks will be contributors, just not too much this year

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't say I'm excited about these picks yet, b/c I don't see them impacting as much this season. I was really hoping we would get an outstanding tackler like Perryman, b/c he would help us immediately...but, he wasn't there. I do feel these first 3 picks will be contributors, just not too much this year

More or less the way I feel. Williams and House were replaced with CBs that have good potential but need work. A big strong WR was added who could compete for the #4 spot and looks like a promising kick returner. All three will look to help our sorry STs improve.

Last year, Clinton-Dix and Davante Adams were immediate impact players and likely starters. Thornton in round 3 was a disappointment but TT atoned for that with Linsley in round 4. This year's group so far isn't going to have that kind of impact. We're still missing an ILB and with Peppers leaving after this year, OLB is also a near-future need. TE could use an upgrade as well.

The only big need met was CB, which certainly isn't nothing in today's NFL, but up the middle our defense is still the same as it was last year--not good.

There are still some LBs out there, Ramik Wilson, Ryan from Mich, Kwon Alexander. Will any of them be there when the Packers are on the board?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thornton didn't even play last year. His grade is incomplete IMO

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see why everyone is dissapointed we didn't get an ILB. I know I was. But where did we struggle last year? Defense and special teams. 2/3 picks were on defense. 3/3 can help our special teams. Not that surprised with how the overall flow of the draft has went for the Packers in that regard.

Hopefully this means Matthews is back at ILB next year which helps us put more of our best players out on the field at one time. That coupled with possible improvements from some guys like Carl Bradford and Joe Thomas as well as a possible addition of a day three guy for additional competition and depth could save the position for the year IMO.

Ted's got six day three picks tomorrow, and just like a fine wine he drafts better as the days and rounds go by compared to his peers so I think we will still likely see a couple contributors added to the roster yet. My guess is Ted drafts to fill the trenches now. He's never gone a year without drafting an offensive lineman and it helps to have a constant influx of youth at a position if you can't get one of the guys signed once their contracts start running out after 2017 or just for depth purposes. We could use depth on the defensive line as well. My hopes are that he goes in this direction, but I've learned to trust him in whatever direction he goes in the draft. Posters here will always point out the negatives he's had drafting but everyone has had negatives. His positives have ranked up there with just about anybody as far as talent acquisition through the draft goes, before even recognizing how late in the draft they consistently are picking from.

Reaction score
All I know about Montgomery is that he has suspect hands and I HATE receivers that can't catch. Rollins was a guy I wanted before the draft, though, so I'm happy with that and I like Randall's speed and ball skills. Did we need both of them, though?

I just can't understand why Ted didn't take an ILB. Everyone was still on the board at 30, there were a few left at 62 and even at 94 Paul Dawson was available. I get that Ted doesn't pick for need but when need is so glaring, surely you can allow yourself a little flexibility, especially at the bottom of the third. We'll address it on day three apparently, but how many day three guys come in and make an instant impact in the NFL? I hate seeing our best OLB stuck inside because of weaknesses in the roster but it looks like that's the plan going into this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why is everyone so unhappy that CMIII might be on the inside a lot next year? He was a productive as he's ever been last year. The guy was everywhere doing everything. I have no issues with how they use him, in reality, I grew a little tired of seeing him fly off the edge right past the qb on 50% of his plays prior to last year.

I don't know all our picks, but they all look to be pretty good football players with a lot of upside. I'm not surprised at all that CB was picked before ILB, It's been my thought all along that the value at DB was better early than that of ILB. Beyond Perryman, Kendricks and Anthony, who I didn't think any were really 1st rounders, I think the rest are the same as guys you'll get in 4-7. Why does everyone want an ILB with 5th round talent in the 2nd?

We were thin at DB, we wouldn't even have fielded a dime defense going into the draft, now it appears we 2 pretty good options. I'm guessing they know what we have at LB options and have a plan. There are still 4 rounds of the draft to go, there will be camp cuts and there are still some FA will be available before camp. I feel a lot better knowing we have quality DB's coming into camp in a league that is heavily skewed towards passing.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll have a hell of a pick-up basketball team, and the softball team should be markedly improved. But TT studies these things a little bit more than I.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why is everyone so unhappy that CMIII might be on the inside a lot next year? He was a productive as he's ever been last year. The guy was everywhere doing everything. I have no issues with how they use him, in reality, I grew a little tired of seeing him fly off the edge right past the qb on 50% of his plays prior to last year.

Not sure about others but my main concern with playing Matthews inside for the entire season is that I doubt he holds up.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now it looks like the defense will have plenty of corners that can watch good teams run the ball for five yards a clip. How many people remember Seattle running for over five yards a carry in the playoffs? Nothing this off-season has corrected that problem.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins will eventually help but probably not this year. It's asking too much of a guy to go from playing basketball to jump to the NFL and play CB with one year of MAC competition. Montgomery had better improve his hands in a hurry otherwise he will land in MM's doghouse. I can see him playing an H back position taking handoffs, fly sweeps and bubble screens. Speed is overrated for punt returners but his lack of lateral quickness could mean that all he may be able to do is take it straight up field which is usually to best option anyway. He could contribute but I don't see him as a 3rd round talent. He's the kind of guy you get in the 4th or 5th rounds.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if Barrington gets hurt, who are we realistically throwing in at ILB? Are we planning to use one of these guys as a ILB/SS hybrid? I'm trying to be ok with this draft and I know I'm not anywhere as knowledgable as good ol' Ted, but I don't see how we really improved our huge weakness. I know rookies don't always come in and contribute right away, but there is far less of a chance that a 4th round ILB is going to help this team right now.

I know we have Bradford that might be moved to ILB, but again that's shifting a player and hoping it works out. Honest question, how are we going to shore up this middle?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, Ted has been good at drafting DB's and WR's. Luckily DB's and WR's are all we have drafted so far I guess? LOL

I'd say he's been very good at finding DBs in the low rounds or off the street and WRs pretty much in the 2nd round. Eliminate those, and the success rate drops significantly. This year, so far, we have DBs in the high rounds and a 3rd round WR. Time will tell if the tendencies change.

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews has stated to a lot of people close to him that he doesn't want to play inside anymore. While he maybe doesn't get his wish his production could drop being unhappy.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's not much to make sense of. TT takes value into account before need. Therefore, the guys he picked were better players to TT than the ILBs.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's not much to make sense of. TT takes value into account before need. Therefore, the guys he picked were better players to TT than the ILBs.

I can accept that he places value over need, but I have a harder time believing that Demarious Randall was anywhere near being the best value at 30.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can accept that he places value over need, but I have a harder time believing that Demarious Randall was anywhere near being the best value at 30.

TT definitly has a different board than most people.

Although, Randall was thought to go at 20 to the Eagles by an ESPN analyst and Kiper had him ranked at 31.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts