1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Making new friends

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by all about da packers, Sep 5, 2006.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm young, and going to a uni tomorrow.

I'm friggin worried as heck about making new friends, as bad and corny that sounds. I don't know, I'm not like the guy who goesup and introduces himself and is then all energetic, etc.

Just worried about making new best friends, and not sure how to go about. :-?

2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    kneepads

3. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    That's how Z2C keeps all his "guy friends" around he has worn through quite a few pairs over the years.

4. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Say what you want, but you keep coming over again and again and again... and again.

5. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Er.............

Yeah.........

Um.........

I'm hetro thanks.

BTW - you guys are gggrrrreeeeaaaattt as easing my worries..... :roll: :p

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    You know what? Just be yourself! I know, sounds corny, but it's true! You made friends so far in your life, right? I KNOW it's scary. I went to college in 1989, and talk about nervous! But i was just my normal (as "normal" as i get!) self, and within a few days you would have thought these people had known me for years! Even in college i was the "class clown." I just was being "me", and i figured that was the best way to be. Not to try to be something i'm not.
    You will do FINE I'm SURE! :D

7. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks cheesy.

I figure joining clubs would be another great way to get to know people, so I joined a few. Guess the friends in my lectures will just come naturally. If all else fails, I'll just grow out my hair, develop man boobs, and start up with the jokes! :wink:

8. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Cheesey, this is DP we talkin about.

BE SOMEONE ELSE NOT YOURSELF!! :p

Have no worries. Jus be calm relaxed and dont TRY to be funny. That ... no one likes.

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    This is true.......of course, i never had to TRY to be funny......i just AM!!! :wink: :lol:

Clubs can be good, as you get involved with people that have similar interests."
    If all else fails, I'll just grow out my hair, develop man boobs, and start up with the jokes! "
    Hey........it worked for me! Don't knock it! :wink: :lol:

10. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Alan, got a picture of your graduation....don't ask me whom I got it from...you know...x-files. Now that was easy to be funny, huh?

[​IMG]
    (you know, I'm j/k you)

But Cheesey's right, aadp, be yourself and don't waste energy trying to be someone else. You won't be the only one with that 'hoping-to-find-friends-asap-feeling'. As we elder men say sometimes: time will tell.

On the other hand....beware, that your new friends are bleeding green and gold! :wink:

11. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    AADP....I dropped my son off a few weeks ago and the only thing you can really say is that everybody is in the same boat. All freshman are starting over and most of them feel the exact same way that you do. Just be yourself and enjoy the experience. It will be the shortest 4 years of your life. I can't believe my daughter will graduate in May.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I did NOT graduate from CLOWN SCHOOL Harald!!!!.................(i was the TEACHER!)LOLOLOL@!!! :lol:

13. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, wrong picture... :oops:

[​IMG]

:wink: :lol: :lol:

14. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have found that being a Vikings Fan and going to a Packer Forum works well
    :shock:

Seriously, as many of the others have said, be yourself. People like you the way you are or not. Be true to yourself, the rest will come.
    Tis better to have a few real friends than many "good time Charlies"
    Dance to the beat of your own drum

BTW, what's your major?

15. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    what school you going to?

O and for the advice, I got none. I am a very unsocial person.

16. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    you'll be just fine, kiddo. you'll be surprised how many people you DO meet in lecture halls. aren't any of your friends going to the same uni as you?? best advice i have...do NOT go home every weekend! make new friends & live the college experience to its fullest.

17. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    get some roofies and stuff. it helps.

18. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Little different up here than in the US though. Here, not everyone lives in the dorms. AADP, I lived with my parents during my first degree and it was a struggle, but over time I found a few people I liked spending time with and we're friends to this day (can't say that about anyone I went to high school with). I would echo what DePack said though. It'll go by far too quickly so enjoy every minute of it.

19. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He said he's starting tomorrow. The first day as a frosh would be pretty early to declare a major no?

20. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    he's majoring in law, last time i checked that is. :)

21. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Simple question as to what he wants to do, you read way too much into it.

22. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What you need to do is go out and meet people. Sounds simple, but it's true. If you're a new student, go to the new student events, get to know the people in your dorm or on your floor. Talk to people in your classes. Go out to parties early in the year. The earlier, and the more, the better. Not necessarily to get hammered, just to meet people. The more people you meet, the better chance of finding people you'll beccome friends with.

23. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry man, it comes easy to some, others it doesn't, but it will come. Just be outgoing, be yourself and you'll make some great friends. Last but not least, rep the Pack... haha

24. 4thand26

4thand26 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    AADP - This is VERY sound advice. You will meet people, go out and do things, and then meet more people. College is a fun time.

25. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help!

DePack, I am so eager to start, highschool life went by fast, and I can only imagine the new twists and turns of university life. I can honestly see myself looking back at graduation and remembering this moment of being nervous and saying "I could have sworn that was just yesterday".

TO, actually the way they have it set up now is that you apply to the faculty you are most interested in, for example the faculty of Arts, Sciences, Fine Arts, etc. Then about amonth after school ends, they have to decide on a specific major, or a combination.

4pack, my Major isn't law yet. I'm doing a double major in criminology and psychology, and law was something I wanted to do quick time, but it looks as if I will complete 120 credits more before I think about law school. The courses available at the Senior levels and even Masters levels really help a ton with law. In the end I'll still play it by ear, but it looks as if law will be delayed for a while longer (subject to change!)

YER, I am stoked about the parties. I've joined football, basketball, ball hockey, volleyball, broomball, and dodgeball leagues. I've already got a list of parties starting in about 2 weeks. I seriously can't wait. Plus the university I am going to was ranked #2 by playboy in terms of having the hottest gals around.... :twisted:

4pack that is the thing though, I know I will meet a ton of people in my lecture halls, but the problem is being able to converse with them inside the lexture halls, since I am not sure we will see each other outside of lecture halls much (60,000 students on campus). For the first week or so I think I'm gonna have the "deer in the headlights" look.