Make or Break season for Flynn?

asshalo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alex Tallitsch's recent post at PackersLounge got me thinking about Matt Flynn and his performance in 2010. Alex basically said Flynn needed to show the coaches something this preseason game to prove he is a viable back-up (read it here: It’s Showtime for Matt Flynn | Packers Lounge). It really got me thinking how significant this season could be for Flynn.

Alex was concerned about Flynn's recent showing at last week's Family Night-- particularly the Sam Shields pick-six. Flynn's Interception against Arizona in week 17 was somewhat of a concern as they were playing vanilla D. But, Rodgers and Favre have all thrown INTs in Family Nights past. Though the throw was bad, I can’t put too much stock into it.

Year three was the time Rodgers' career where he made a noticeable jump, which is the same year Flynn is entering now. Flynn performed very similiar to Rodgers in their first two preseasons (3 Tds, 0-1 INTs). From a preseason stats standpoint, Flynn even seems to be somewhat ahead of Rodgers in progression (see gamelog links below). Though Flynn had more to work with and the preseason, of course, doesn’t correlate much to regular season.

Flynn Game Logs: http://www.nfl.com/players/mat.....eason=2008

Rodgers Game Logs: http://www.nfl.com/players/aar.....eason=2007

Their Regular Season Stats in year’s one and two are also almost identical. Yes, the sample size is small both in games and snaps. My point is (finally), a break-out game by Flynn in the regular season wouldn’t surprise me at all. Imagine if Flynn had a game like Rodgers at Dallas in 2007.

Call it a pipe dream, but Mike McCarthy's track record of developing QBs speaks for itself. Three years on the bench seemed to have benefitted Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo. Why not Flynn too? Supposedly Flynn already has trade value. I got to believe that would land GB a top 60 pick if such a performance were to occur (they’ll need it with the amount of free agents coming up in this off-season).

Don't get me wrong, these comparison's can only be taken with a grain of salt as a string of games in the regular season will be the ultimate decider for Flynn. And comparing the two is a disservice to Rodgers who has truly made the transition from back-up to Elite QB. Just don't be surprised if Matt Flynn is a starting QB somewhere in the NFL in week one of the 2011 season.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont put too much stock in family night. The time I did I came away thinking TT was an idiot and Aaron Rodgers wasnt going to do anything in the NFL. Actually I would say that was the worst I have ever seen him play.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The West Coast Offense takes 3 years to be learned completely.

This is the make or break season for Flynn, indeed. He needs to show in the preseason games that the game has slowed down for him, that he has mastered the playbook and can make every throw.

And he was, after all, a winner in college.

OP
OP
asshalo

asshalo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see how this is a make or break season for Flynn, It would only be make or break if Rodgers gets injured

I tend to agree with RS. He's had time to sit on the sidelines, learn the offense and rework his mechanics. He should be judged to a higher standard this year. It's time to show what he's learned. He's a free agent after the 2011 season and I have to believe management is generally going to know what they want to do with him before this time next year.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Make or break what? he's the backup, not much pressure on him, if he ever plays no one will expect anything from him. He is a mobile quarterback with not a very big arm, but there is a reason why we let brian brohm go, he is a gamer. But the only thing flynn has to gain here is that we might trade him to seattle where he can start ;)

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make or break what? he's the backup, not much pressure on him, if he ever plays no one will expect anything from him. He is a mobile quarterback with not a very big arm, but there is a reason why we let brian brohm go, he is a gamer. But the only thing flynn has to gain here is that we might trade him to seattle where he can start ;)

Exactly my thoughts

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard for a guy who never sees the field to have a "make or break season". Flynn is an adequate backup. Just like any other backup QB in the league, he's a HUGE downgrade from the starter. Flynn should just keep learning and practicing.

Hopefully he never sees the field.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talk of trading our only decent backup QB is insanity. He knows the playbook and he is getting better. You wouldn't put liability insurance on a Ferarri would you? QB's get hurt all the time. If Rodgers goes down their would be a drop off in our QB play but if he did go down for 4 weeks and Flynn pulled out 2 games we would be lucky. 3 would be a gift from God.

Alot of people were saying before Favre left that Rodgers has shown nothing. That was up until he had to step in for Favre when we were playing Dallas. After that game everyone jumped on the Rodgers bandwagan. Years before that we had a guy no one ever heard of and we cut him. Ohhh......and his name was Kurt Warner. Drew Bledsoe went down and guess who stepped in. Wasn't it Tom Brady? No one knew who he was either.

What if Rodgers went down for the season and Flynn took us to a Superbowl win? It probably wouldn't happen but you never know.

JerseyAl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Flynn possessing an NFL starter's arm. Although he did earn points for not bailing out and absorbing some big hits the other night...

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree, I am not sure why this is a big argument. No one ever considered him a potential starter, just a strong backup with a great winning history. That's all teams wanted, just someone who wasn't the best at all but knew how to control the game if need be.

Members online

Latest posts