Majik "deserves" Hall bid

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's fer sure. I still remember the Cincy game when he went down. Favre came in and the rest is history. You have to think that the Majik man had a little to do with Favre's success. I mean, a young #4 sat and watched the Majik man come from behind 5 different times in '89 to lead the Pack to one point victories. I think they were referred to as the "Cardiac Pack" that year. Awesome!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved watching the Majik man. 89 was one of the most fun seasons after watching so many losing seasons before that, but for as much as I liked the guy, I don't really think a guy with a 73.5 QB rating deserves to be in the Packer Hall of Fame.

I don't have the stats to back me up, but I think he had more interceptions than TDs for his career, and I think he had more losses than wins for his career. He had one heckavu year in 89, but other than that he really didn't do much. I loved watching the guy play, but to be honest I don't really think he was that good outside of 89. The thing we'll never know is how much that shoulder injury really affected him. Could he have accumulated more seasons like 89 if he didn't hurt his throwing shoulder? We'll never know, but based on what he did accomplish, I didn't think he did enough to earn a trip to the Packer hall of Fame. That said though, I still tip my cap to the guy and give him congrats for making the Packer Hall of Fame.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ND,

Young #4 had to have been watching the highlights on TV... He wasn't even IN the NFL, much less Green bay...

Majik WAS the antithesisto the prototype QB. On the move, athletic, tough and unpredictable!

He MAY have been the prototype of the NEW age of QBs... A la Vick, culpepper...

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
ND,

Young #4 had to have been watching the highlights on TV... He wasn't even IN the NFL, much less Green bay...

Majik WAS the antithesisto the prototype QB. On the move, athletic, tough and unpredictable!

He MAY have been the prototype of the NEW age of QBs... A la Vick, culpepper...
OBI nails this one - finally someone with some insight....

Way to go - '89 was "the" year.... I won so much money from the football pools, it wasn't even funny, damn near a grand total.... all thanks to the Majik Man. Only thing that ruined it was the Bears crying over spilt milk with the instant replay. Geez, what crybabies they were that year.

Totally on the money - Majik Man "was" the prototype.
BTW - who was that guy that came in and saved the game in County Stadium when Majik went down. I was there, but pretty lit - I know the score was close.... I had the Bob Uechre seats behind the steel eye beam..LOL!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean THE Anthony Dilweg.....son of former Green Bay Packer Lavie Dilweg?

Damn, I remember that pick....had the same scared eyes as Randy Wright......who always looked like he was squeezing one out when he saw the pass rush coming....which was often!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved watching Magic in his come backs, but usually the comebacks were a result of his boneheaded plays that got them in trouble in the first place. He was an exciting player to watch, a gunslinger for sure, but without the talent level of Brett Favre. I'm not sure I'd put him in Packer Hall of Fame category, but then again there are probably others in there too that weren't really great players. Congrats Magic.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As someone said earlier...that was one of the most exciting seasons that I have had as a lifelong Packer fan. What I also remember is a couple players and wives/girlfriends hanging at Brian Noble's house watching the game on TV that would determine whether or not the Pack got in the playoffs. Let's just say the booze appeared to be flowing and Brian's wife made some saucy comment/facial gesture referring to the microphone in her face as somehow similar to a male falis...pretty friggin' entertaining stuff!

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, if we had the same O-Line that Brett's had thru the years - I think Majik Man would cause Brett to sit down as the No.2 QB - ol' Don was a very versatile player... Ya gotta admit Brett's done his share of getting the Offense into trouble... Remember 1993?

The underground thing I have heard is Don can drink with the best of 'em...
SO watch yerself if ya run into him.... they may have to carry YOU out and call a cab! LOL

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
| Passing | Rushing |
+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |
| 1987 gnb | 7 | 55 127 43.3 875 6.9 5 3 | 15 127 0 |
| 1988 gnb | 13 | 178 336 53.0 2119 6.3 9 11 | 47 225 1 |
| 1989 gnb | 16 | 353 599 58.9 4318 7.2 27 20 | 75 358 5 |
| 1990 gnb | 9 | 150 264 56.8 1925 7.3 10 12 | 29 186 1 |
| 1991 gnb | 9 | 115 226 50.9 1362 6.0 3 8 | 25 108 2 |
| 1992 gnb | 14 | 38 55 69.1 271 4.9 2 2 | 8 33 0 |
| 1993 ind | 3 | 13 24 54.2 105 4.4 0 1 | 2 4 0 |
| 1994 ind | 9 | 84 152 55.3 1010 6.6 6 7 | 24 34 3 |
| 1995 det | 8 | 15 20 75.0 161 8.1 1 0 | 9 1 0 |
| 1996 det | 5 | 55 102 53.9 554 5.4 3 3 | 14 38 0 |
| TOTAL | 93 | 1056 1905 55.4 12700 6.7 66 67 | 248 1114 12 |
+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------

WOW, '89 really was impressive!!! 4.8 yard rushing average...led the league in p. yds, 3rd in p TDs!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it is questionable whether Majic should be in the PHOF. But I would sooner see a couple of extra guys get in than some guys that are deserving not get in.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are joking about this right? There is only one hall of fame and this guy will get in when he pays admission at the door.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you kidding me..those of you who think that Majik shouldn't be in the PHOF?

Look at the team and the coach he had at the time. Geez, the man had done it almost singlehandedly. His o-line and RB's sure didn't help.

It didn't hurt that he was throwing to Sharpe and Query though..man that Query was a burner!

must have weighed all of 140 lbs....

That was the beginning of the Pack's rise to prominence...not long after..Wolfe was hired...then Holmgren..and the rest is history!

Too bad his career ended the way it did..but Majik was integral in bringing the Pack back, damnit!

I'll never forget that SI issue with him on the cover and inside he was dunking a basketball...

before Majik came along there was 30 years of oblivion....so cut the guy some slack, will ya?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my favorite dry jokes of all time (pun intended)...

2 guys walk into a bar is a classic set-up for a joke, so when you first read it, "bar" is intended to be interpreted as a tavern.

However, the joke is that the bar is really meant to be a metal or plastic bar, or something like that, and to avoid whacking himself on the head, the third guy ducks underneath it.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Are you kidding me..those of you who think that Majik shouldn't be in the PHOF?

Look at the team and the coach he had at the time. Geez, the man had done it almost singlehandedly. His o-line and RB's sure didn't help.

Sterling Sharpe and Brent Fullwood made the ProBowl in 89, along with Tim Harris on defense, so Majkowski must have had some help.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sterling Sharpe and Brent Fullwood made the ProBowl in 89, along with Tim Harris on defense, so Majkowski must have had some help.

He had some other all-time legends to throw to as well such as Clint Didier and Perry Kemp :D But seriously, like AZ said, it's not as if he was playing w/ Pop Warner caliber players...the 2 he listed were very solid players.

chickpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Majik was an exciting player and the 1989 season was truly one of his best.

He was however, based on personal experience full so full of himself that he essentially would try to buy girlfriends away from boyfriends by offering them autographs.

Classy.....

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
You are joking about this right? There is only one hall of fame and this guy will get in when he pays admission at the door.
I wholly expected to hear this type of comment from the Bear's fan crowd... totally!
I remember what it was like in the tri-county area along the Wisconsin border there by Twin Lakes, and Lake Geneva... every Chicago type was screamin to kill the instant replay after Majik Man beat the Bears in BOTH regular season games.... Oh... you shoulda heard em! They'll most likely never get over it either.... and then they have the audacity (I've had it said to my face) that the Packers had no beef with the Niners when RICE "dropped/fumbled" the ball in that Playoff game in 1998 - remember? TO had just come into the NFL at that time.... ludicrous nonsense!

MAJIK MAN "did" bring the Packers out of the funk they were in - and after that it started being 'in vogue' so to speak with the Players in the NFL and College - doing a double take with maybe actually playing in Green Bay instead of worrying about NOT coming to Lambeau.... like it was imperative.

Number 7 will always have fans for his great deeds and with half of an offense that Brett has enjoyed in his career to boot! Can you just imagine..... think about it!

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
Man, how I remember ol' six guns... that was the move!
I hated to see Tim leave... he should have remained a Packer, forever!

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
One of my favorite dry jokes of all time (pun intended)...

2 guys walk into a bar is a classic set-up for a joke, so when you first read it, "bar" is intended to be interpreted as a tavern.

However, the joke is that the bar is really meant to be a metal or plastic bar, or something like that, and to avoid whacking himself on the head, the third guy ducks underneath it.

awww muscy, thats real cool. real cool :lol:

ricky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite simply, he was a mediocre player on a bad team. Yes, he could be exciting, but only because the team was so bad he had to improvise. Why? Because the offensive line was a sieve, and the Packers were playing from behind so many games (I believe this was the era where the defense was respectable, and the offense lagged behind). Majkowski in the Packer HOF? With Tobin Rote and Bart Starr? Sorry. I don't buy it. Personally, I think the guy was an exciting QB, but this is tantamount to putting Bill Mazeroski in the Baseball Hall of Fame (and yes, I understand the difference between individual teams' HOF and leagues HOF's- I think the teams' HOF's should be more careful in their selections). One or two flashes, then gone. :roll:

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Ricky - but by the way the Fans cheered at the Home Opener last year during halftime -- you're already out voted!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts