Majik "deserves" Hall bid

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil is all good kids. He is a bears fan, he has a non packer point of view that some people can't quite see so it's nice to have him on the site.

<center><font color="#FFCC00">Back to the topic</font></center>

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure why there's all this resentment pointed towards you Phil...nothing you said is unreasonable. In the context of recent Packer history, '89 was a great year for Packer fans, but yeah, as an out-of-stater, I'd probably find it odd if you came on here and proclaimed some random season like that a booming success for the Bears.[/quote]

We know Phil when ALL he did was flame, insult, and degrade...

So some of the Packer fans aree showing their displeasure with him.

Opinion, Counter opinion... EYE FOR AN EYE!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Phil is all good kids. He is a bears fan, he has a non packer point of view that some people can't quite see so it's nice to have him on the site.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So getting back to the topic as Ryan has requested us to do-

I have a question.
Since this is the PACKER HOF can they use "looser" criteria for their inductees and not make it solely based on hard numbers (obviously their numbers would have to be less that the NFL HOF or they would only have a handful of members.)

Can they use intangibles like "the player was a fan favorite" or "He was a good representative of the Packers" when deciding who should get into the PHOF? Kind of like the Rudy character who played on the practice squad for ND back in the 70's. Someone who doesn't have the stats but give it his all and the fans appreciated him for it.

What other factures should they use when deciding?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:

Thank you

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What people don't seem to understand (and i don't mean just the bitter and frustrated Bear fans) is that this is a TEAM sport...

so, with that as a given, one man can not win it all by himself...he has to have the players around him...but in 89' Majik came close...i think under different circumstances, Majik could have had a much different career...but it didn't happen...

if you put Favre on that team, an agreed upon future Hall of Famer, he wouldn't have done much better...and that is the measuring stick...substitute anyone you want Marino, Montana, Unitas,...the answer is the same....

Favre might not be going to the hall of fame if he were drated in '86 on the GB packers...does that make him any less a player?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
One last thing PC:

Philtration said:
wpr said:
Philtration said:
wpr said:
[quote="Philtration":3bv8ufkx]The Packers did not even make the playoffs in that "magical" season that you hold so dearly. :?:

That may be so. But they did beat your Beloved TWICE that year didn't they?
You can put your Ditka asterisk by it if it makes you feel better but from the NFL records stand point it still comes up GB 2 Chicago 0. And in the end that is all that truly matters. :lol:

Gee, I guess that was a "magical" season. Let us all take a deep breath and remember the time when Majik led the Packers to....to....nevermind.

Yes. As you have noticed on the other posts here, Packer fans do indeed enjoy talking about that season. So what? He led them to a 10-6 season. For GB tehn that was a successful season. That's about the time when the GB fans could start to see some light at the end of a very long tunnel. I don't expect a Bear fan to find it a very enjoyable year at all as they were starting to head into their own long and dark tunnel. Don't you wish the Bears could have a 10-6 season?
That doesn't mean you can mock the 1989. Go find something else to talk about.

I am not mocking it. If that season and that player made you happy, then more power to you. I just think that it is has been blow out of proportion. He was not that great of a QB. The Bears played some incredibly exciting games in 2001 going 13-3 but there was some luck and opportunity on their side and I would never think that Jim Miller was a great QB by any means.

Phil,
go to my post at the top of page 3. I said then and there that one season doesn't make him a HOF in any sense. You are mixing two different issues together.
1. What is the worth of D.Majkowski.
1 a) Does he belong in the PHOF?
which is what this post was about.
and then your issue of
2. Can the Packer fans fondly remember the 1989 season?
Whether you mean to or not you seem to imply that just b/c he doesn't belong in the Hall and we didn't make the playoffs then it was a wasted season and we shouldn't talk about 1989 at all. Luck? Of course there was. As you mentioned it was a lot like 2001. Well maybe 2001 had more luck than 89 with all those 4th Qrtr Defensive TD's but the Bears kept the games close and a TO or two can and does make all the difference in many games.[/quote:3bv8ufkx]

You missed my point. That was a very exciting season for Packer fans and I know that it came after years of bad football. I just think that Majik was a decent QB who had one very good year. The Bears went to the playoffs in 1977 and got their butts kicked by the Cowboys but the 2nd half of that season was pretty damn exciting for us. I fully understand how you feel about 1989 and it should be a good memory for you.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
So getting back to the topic as Ryan has requested us to do-

I have a question.
Since this is the PACKER HOF can they use "looser" criteria for their inductees and not make it solely based on hard numbers (obviously their numbers would have to be less that the NFL HOF or they would only have a handful of members.)

Can they use intangibles like "the player was a fan favorite" or "He was a good representative of the Packers" when deciding who should get into the PHOF? Kind of like the Rudy character who played on the practice squad for ND back in the 70's. Someone who doesn't have the stats but give it his all and the fans appreciated him for it.

What other factures should they use when deciding?

The Packers can put anybody they want in the Packer HOF, it is their HOF.
In fact, they do go beyond ordinary, they even put people in who have never played FB or even been part of the organization. They are putting fans in. :D

Members online

Latest posts