1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Madden 2008

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by DoddPower, Aug 15, 2007.

1. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    It was bound to happen. I just got my copy today and I am interested to see what others think. I have only played one game, so my observations are limited, but here's what I think so far:

-Green Bay, almost all of the team, is under rated, in my opinion.

-It's going to take some getting used to after being so familiar with 2007.

-Seems to be a lot of neat features. I'm excited on learning the game.

Anyone else?

2. BearDown!

BearDown! Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow. I'm hoping they have Soldier Field fixed. In 07, they had the tunnels going right down the middle when they're really in the corners. A minor error, but it still bugs me everytime I see it.

I've heard it's the best Madden since 05. There's only a few minor problems, such as: presentation (radio play-by-play, etc.) and the consistency of fumbles. Minor issues, so they shouldn't be a problem.

3. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Funny enough, my wife asked me about this game today and I haven't even had a chance to look at it yet. What are the new features in '08?

4. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    have to wait im British cant wait though.

5. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it comes out in the UK around September 15th

Just one question.

Can you play the PS3 version on the internet as I would love to be able to play games against people from the States and show them us Brits know a thing or two about the game!!!!!

6. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    It comes out on 21st August or something like that Flep.

7. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I checked in our local "GAME" shop and they had it listed as september 27th for PS3

8. BearDown!

BearDown! Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Many features have been brought back from older versions of Madden. But, there are some new features:

All New Read and React System - New icons will show strenghts and weaknesses giving you the ability to read what your opponent is giving you allowing you to create mismatches before every play.

All New Front Office Mode (As seen in 04) - Control every aspect of your franchise. You'll also be able to relocate your team.

All New Player Moves - The most realistic NFL gaming experience ever with auto-motion, backward passes and low hitting tackles. You can control receivers or control your secondary to make game changing plays.

It also includes group tackling, strong backs will fall forward for extra yardage, an all new hit stick allowing high tackles and low tackles, taking a back down at the knees. Battling at the line of scrimmage is more realistic. The O-Line will no longer bottle-neck up forcing you to bounce around them, instead they will open up holes in the line.

That's mostly all I could find. Just look up reviews of the game or go to the Madden 08 website.

9. BearDown!

BearDown! Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, so I started playing my copy at 4:30 and played for nearly two hours. First thing, I think the introduction video is awesome. The main menu is different than other versions, but similar to NCAA 08.

I made my way over to Superstar Mode and it's a huge update from last year's; the camera angle and everything in general is just better.

I plan on watching Rescue Me tonight, so tomorrow I'll check out Create-a-team and Franchise Mode. So far, I think its the best Madden to date.

10. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the ratings are fair. It looks like to win as the Packers, we'll have to keep the ball in the air though. Favre is an 89, which is good. Driver's something like 93 or 94. Jennings I think is 85. Our left side of our OL is good. Our RBs though aren't.

I don't have it, but I'm hoping to get invited to some people's houses that have it. They're Cowboy fans, and I'd love to beat them. I hate the Cowboys. And yes, I refuse to play as anyone other than GB.

11. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54
    Yeah, after looking through the ratings, I guess they are kinda fair. I mean, even Vince Young, the man on the cover is rated like 87?? I imagined they would have him in the 90's for sure. Harris and Woodson are in the 90's, Driver is a 93, and Kampman being in the 90's as well I believe. However, the team as a whole is rated an 84 I believe, which is kinda lame, but not unrealistic. I was surprised Barnett wasn't in the 90's, but Hawk is a 90, so I guess all is fair.

I must confess. I traded Favre and a 1st and 2nd round draft pick for Vince Young. In '07, Favre retired after like two seasons, plus, it makes the game waay more fun to have a fast quaterback that can run well. The draft picks in 2007 were practically useless because even the number one picks sucked pretty bad, so I always just used them to trade. I think they may have improved in this game, so we shall see. I also quickly upgraded the safety position as well, but other then that, the roster is the same.

Training for the game, especially for the running backs is hard as hell!! Trying to rush by Barnett, Hawk, and my starting safety with Morency and Miree is no easy task!! I've been struggling pretty bad. It's definitely taking me some time to adjust, but this game is an obvious improvement over '07.

12. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the insight and reviews Dodd, appreciate it!

13. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54
    You're welcome buddy! I'm a little of a Madden fiend, I can't deny. However, I haven't played the new one too much. Has anyone noticed the increased amount of fumbles and injuries? I swear, the last game I played, there were like 8-9 fumbles, and several injuries. I'm pretty sure both can be adjusted, but still, strange on the default setting.

Anyone that played '07 on All Madden often knew how B.S. a lot of the computers plays were. They could get a pass past your secondary in no time and if it was a receiver, there was rarely any catching them. However, I've noticed that it's was easy to catch the receivers once their in front of you in '08. However, after I just typed that I realized that I'm playing on "pro" until I get used to '08 vs. "All Madden" on '07.

Driver ROCKS in '08!! He makes some crazy catches and is hard to tackle afterwards. Harrel is rated 80, which isn't so bad. One major thing that bothers me is how many of the rookie players don't have pictures up. Actually, I can't think of any that have their pictures up. I mean, it's kind of annoying just to see the gray shadow of a dudes head for all of our potential future stars. Definitely a complaint on my part. Plus, who knows how many of the players on the game, such as Wynn, Clowny, will even make the roster anyway?? Seems like they should wait a little longer to release the game to get pictures and updated rosters. I've yet to run my cable to my PS3 so I can play on the network, but maybe you can download the updated rosters somehow??

Also, the loading time is a lot longer on this game, which is kinda lame also.

They added a fantasy draft mode to the franchise mode, which is pretty sweet. Basically, you get like 30 draft picks out of the entire NFL roster. So, you can build your team from scratch, with the full cap. But, I did it, and ended up with this crazy team, ended up quitting that to stick with the actual packers roster, with a few minor changes. I'll play with the base roster for at least a couple of seasons before I start bringing in different players.

Also, something that's different on '08 is the way you train your players in the season. You can train up to three players before each game on four different difficulty levels. The new "weapon" system (ie: hands, quickness, accuracy, etc) are the areas you can change, and you must pick which weapon for the player you are training you would like to earn points towards upgrading. I just learned this after like three games. Pretty cool though. I can't wait until I have a solid brick wall D-Line and LB core!!

I've yet to get interested in the super-star mode. I like to play with the good ole packers instead.

Either way, I'm watching the '70's show and Red finally got his season tix to the packers!! That lucky SOB!!!

:cheerleader:

14. BearDown!

BearDown! Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed both increase in fumbles and an increase in injuries. I had picked a ball off and before I realized it, my corner had fumbled the ball. It can get on your nerves when you're trying to come back in a game. I also lost Grossman, Muhammad and Benson to injuries in the same game.

15. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    I laugh.

Because you kept Wrecks.

16. BearDown!

BearDown! Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    In the words of the Lovie Smith, "'Wrecks' is our quarterback." :)

17. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
  18. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    How did I miss this thread!?!

Um, Madden 08 is basically Madden 07, which isnt a bad thing.

There are some differences: Better tackling,smarter AI,etc

Yeah, GB is underrated, but that will be fixed with online roster updates after the packers do good in preseason and regular season. KGB is STILL rated higher than Jenkins. Ugh! (although KGB is money in the game, and i exploit that bigtime)