MacArthur Lane passed away

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Man, I remember that '72 season with Brockington and him in the same backfield. The Pack absolutely hammered the ball down opponent's throats.

Got the Pack a Central Div championship that year in spite of the fact that Dan Devine was HC and Scott Hunter as QB couldn't hit a cow's rear end with a banjo.

Pack HAD to run and everyone knew it. They just couldn't stop 'em...until the Redskins did.

That game in particular probably led to the notorious John Hadl trade.

RIP MacArthur.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I remember that '72 season with Brockington and him in the same backfield. The Pack absolutely hammered the ball down opponent's throats.

Got the Pack a Central Div championship that year in spite of the fact that Dan Devine was HC and Scott Hunter as QB couldn't hit a cow's rear end with a banjo.

Pack HAD to run and everyone knew it. They just couldn't stop 'em...until the Redskins did.

That game in particular probably led to the notorious John Hadl trade.

RIP MacArthur.

I remember a long run he made against the Vikes at their old place in Bloomington. He scored, but the field was basically a hockey rink that day and he couldn't stop himself when he reached the endzone…..Minnesota had a rolled-up tarp at the back of the endzone and Lane hit it at nearly full-speed and hurt himself rather badly....I can't remember for sure but he may have broken his leg on the play.

I also remember the Packers trading Donnie Anderson to the St. Louis Cardinals to acquire Lane. The paired him with John Brockington to form the "Elephant Backfield"....Two huge guys who were more likely to run over you than around you.

Not great days from a winning perspective, but Lane was a gamer for sure.....Prayers for him and those he left behind.

#36 before Butler or Collins ever wore it.

H

HardRightEdge

Nice testimonials in the posts above.

Lane wasn't just a hammer. He was a good athlete and actually pretty fast in his prime. See the play at 1:25 in the following video:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

How times have changed. In 1972 Lane led the Packers in receiving with 26 catches and was second in receiving yards with 285. Carroll Dale led in yards with 317.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Lane led the league in receptions while in KC.

Yeah. Donnie Anderson for Lane. I remember reading somewhere, maybe it was Chuck Lane's book, that Devine wanted nothing more than to erase Lombardi- era players.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts