Lynch signs extension

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

They're not extending Lynch for big dollars. Lynch is an older power back who has a ton of carries to his name.

I'm not saying that Lynch suddenly sucks. I'm just saying that older running backs with a ton of carries don't get big contracts in the NFL anymore. Doesn't happen.

Lynch signed an extension with the Seahawks yesterday that will pay him $12 million in 2015. Overall it's a three-year, $31 million contract.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, it's crazy season. I read somewhere that one of the teams going after Suh is...the Saints. With what? Aren't they still about a gazillion dollars over the cap?

I heard the Saints would be interested in Forsett as well. No idea how they would pull that off though as they're still $16 million above the cap.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynch signed an extension with the Seahawks yesterday that will pay him $12 million in 2015. Overall it's a three-year, $31 million contract.

He got a five million dollar raise to play next year. The other two years aren't guaranteed (which is what matters). He'll make more than what I would have thought they'd pay him, but it's not a big dollar extension by any means.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He got a five million dollar raise to play next year. The other two years aren't guaranteed (which is what matters). He'll make more than what I would have thought they'd pay him, but it's not a big dollar extension by any means.

Even if you're calling it 1 year/$12.5M, that seems like a pretty big dollar extension to me.

I'm not sure what the point is of saying the last 2 years aren't guaranteed. This could pretty much be said about any NFL contract.

Different positions have different levels of "big" but hard to say that a RB who just got a 2 year/$24M dollar extension isn't an extension for big dollars.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Geez, I really don't understand why it's so difficult for a lot of people to admit they were wrong.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, I really don't understand why it's so difficult for a lot of people to admit they were wrong.

I said he wouldn't get a huge dollar extension. I'm not about to say that five million dollars is a huge extension. Lynch just got a new deal that guarantees him a whopping $5m more than he as set to receive. Please tell me how that's a huge extension?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if you're calling it 1 year/$12.5M, that seems like a pretty big dollar extension to me.

I'm not sure what the point is of saying the last 2 years aren't guaranteed. This could pretty much be said about any NFL contract.

Different positions have different levels of "big" but hard to say that a RB who just got a 2 year/$24M dollar extension isn't an extension for big dollars.

Lynch received $5m more guaranteed dollars than he was already set to receive. Perhaps your definition of huge extension is different than mine, but $5m doesn't qualify in my book.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I said he wouldn't get a huge dollar extension. I'm not about to say that five million dollars is a huge extension. Lynch just got a new deal that guarantees him a whopping $5m more than he as set to receive. Please tell me how that's a huge extension?

The extension Lynch signed added two years and $24 million to his existing contract for a total of three years and $31 million with $12 million guaranteed. A lot of NFL contracts don't include any guaranteed money after the first season so not calling this a huge extension is ridiculous.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with sunshinepacker here, it's a 2-year $24 million contract with 5 million in guarantees.
The raise he got this year, just like last year after he held out, was just incentive for him not to retire and stop him from complaining until next season...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I have to agree with sunshinepacker here, it's a 2-year $24 million contract with 5 million in guarantees.
The raise he got this year, just like last year after he held out, was just incentive for him not to retire and stop him from complaining until next season...

It doesn't matter how you look at it, Lynch will get paid $12 million this season which is significantly more than any other RB aside of Adrian Peterson.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how you look at it, Lynch will get paid $12 million this season which is significantly more than any other RB aside of Adrian Peterson.

Absolutely true and I don't think he's worth that kind of money, but it's not a giant extension considering they can get rid of him and only have 2.5 million in dead money in 2016 and 2017 with a post June 1 cut.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Absolutely true and I don't think he's worth that kind of money, but it's not a giant extension considering they can get rid of him and only have 2.5 million in dead money in 2016 and 2017 with a post June 1 cut.

If the Seahawks release him after the 2015 season it will result in $5 million total dead money. With teams being allowed to roll over money into next year it doesn't matter when they cut him.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Seahawks release him after the 2015 season it will result in $5 million total dead money. With teams being allowed to roll over money into next year it doesn't matter when they cut him.

Which is why I said that if they designate him as a post June 1 cut they would have 2.5 million in dead money in both 2016 and 2017. 5 million in one seasons or 2.5 in back to back years, it's up to Schneider to decide which is better for his team based on its cap situation.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Which is why I said that if they designate him as a post June 1 cut they would have 2.5 million in dead money in both 2016 and 2017. 5 million in one seasons or 2.5 in back to back years, it's up to Schneider to decide which is better for his team based on its cap situation.

It would make a small difference for the Seahawks 2016 cap but absolutely none for the 2017 one.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would make a small difference for the Seahawks 2016 cap but absolutely none for the 2017 one.

Of course it would. If following the 2015 the Seahawks cut Lynch, they're left with 5 million in dead money on the 2016 cap. If they decide to designate him as a post June 1 cut, only the 2016 dead money goes on the 2016 cap and the remaining signing bonus (7.5 million over 3 years) goes on the 2017 cap.
That would mean 2.5 million in dead money in both 2016 and 2017.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course it would. If following the 2015 the Seahawks cut Lynch, they're left with 5 million in dead money on the 2016 cap. If they decide to designate him as a post June 1 cut, only the 2016 dead money goes on the 2016 cap and the remaining signing bonus (7.5 million over 3 years) goes on the 2017 cap.
That would mean 2.5 million in dead money in both 2016 and 2017.
So, unless they were tight against it, they'd be carrying forward the unused 2.5 million cap space. The main reason they'd want to carry the cap charge forward would be if they needed the cap space in 2016.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynch received $5m more guaranteed dollars than he was already set to receive. Perhaps your definition of huge extension is different than mine, but $5m doesn't qualify in my book.

You said "older running backs with a ton of carries don't get big contracts in the NFL anymore". Exact quote. Regardless of how much they had already committed to him before giving him another $5M on top of that, it's tough to twist what is literally considered a 3 year/$31M contract to fit that quote. That's more $$ than Jamaal Charles got for his 4 year extension that he signed last summer.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said "older running backs with a ton of carries don't get big contracts in the NFL anymore". Exact quote. Regardless of how much they had already committed to him before giving him another $5M on top of that, it's tough to twist what is literally considered a 3 year/$31M contract to fit that quote. That's more $$ than Jamaal Charles got for his 4 year extension that he signed last summer.

Please, forget about everything in that contract other than the $5m raise he got for this season. None of the remainder is guaranteed. Jamaal Charles is actually expected to receive most of the contract he signed, Lynch is expected to receive $5m.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please, forget about everything in that contract other than the $5m raise he got for this season. None of the remainder is guaranteed. Jamaal Charles is actually expected to receive most of the contract he signed, Lynch is expected to receive $5m.

No, he is not. Please stop making it sound like Lynch is playing for 1 year/$5M this season when you know that's deceiving and not true. That $5M is new money, he's making $12M for 2015 which is big money for a RB. If you meant that RB's his age don't get big multi-year guaranteed deals, you should have worded it that way in the first place. That's not what you said.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, he is not. Please stop making it sound like Lynch is playing for 1 year/$5M this season when you know that's deceiving and not true. That $5M is new money, he's making $12M for 2015 which is big money for a RB. If you meant that RB's his age don't get big multi-year guaranteed deals, you should have worded it that way in the first place. That's not what you said.

He was going to play for $7 million this year. He now plays for $12 million. He got a $5 million raise. How is that deceitful?

Members online

Latest posts