Lumpkin takes Wynn's Locker/Kicking Game Looks Good

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://gnb.scout.com/2/786110.html

So far, so good with the new snapper-holder combination for kicker Mason Crosby.
Crosby said he was perfect on five or six attempts during practice with new snapper Brett Goode and new holder Derrick Frost. (Reporters weren’t allowed to watch the final hour or so of the day’s workout, so the distances were not available.)

“Today, was our first day doing the whole operation, and it felt like we’ve been doing it awhile already,” Crosby said. “These guys are very good professionals.”

Goode never made it out of training camp with the Jaguars in 2007 or 2008, but Frost is entering his fifth NFL season and is an experienced holder.

“There were really no instances where I was like, this needs to be changed. They really took care of business,” said Crosby, who led the NFL in scoring last season with a team rookie-record of 141 points.

Crosby was superb throughout training camp and went 5-for-6 on field goals in the preseason, including 5-for-5 from inside of 50 yards. Now, though, he has just five practices to get in tune with his new snapper and holder. Day 2 was a success.

“I didn’t have to think any more than I normally do,” Crosby said. “Just approach the ball and kick it. That’s what makes me happy is the ability to not really notice the snap or the hold. That’s when you know it’s a good operation.”

On punts, Goode’s snaps were generally good during a lengthy punting segment. Frost struggled with his first couple punts but got into a groove. His leg strength doesn’t compare to Jon Ryan’s — Frost struggled to kick the ball 40 yards into a decent breeze — but he ran the returners ragged with his ability to punt to the left and right sideline.

Keeping their mouths shut

With loquacious Darren Sharper, the Vikings haven’t been shy about running their mouths over the years. Recently, for instance, defensive tackle Pat Williams said the Vikings were going to “crush” the Packers and that the Vikes are looking forward to handing Aaron Rodgers “his first damn loss.”

The Packers weren’t about to join the fray.

“I haven’t heard any details. We’ll let them guys talk, and we’ll go out there and play football,” defensive tackle Ryan Pickett said.

Rodgers wisely noted his lack of experience compared to the merits of some of the Vikings’ top defenders. Coach Mike McCarthy, meanwhile, says he doesn’t spend a lot of time talking to his team on the merits of keeping their lips zipped.

“I’ve never seen anything to gain from (trash talking), and that's really the only message that I've ever given our players,” McCarthy said. “To answer your question, it speaks volumes about the way they go about their business.”

New digs for Lumpkin

Kregg Lumpkin has moved from the auxiliary locker room — aka The Green Mile — to DeShawn Wynn’s old spot in the main locker room. It’s definitely movin’ on up for the undrafted rookie out of Georgia who went from roster long shot to No. 3 halfback.

Lumpkin admitted to being on pins and needles while waiting for the Packers to finalize their roster.

“I’m glad I got a call and glad I have the opportunity to continue to play here,” the soft-spoken Lumpkin said.

Practice was a ‘piece of work’

McCarthy wasn’t thrilled with practice, so it’s a good thing they have an extra day to prepare for the Vikings. Part of it was a product of having so many injuries — he said practice-squad tight end Joey Haynos was forced to play scout team linebacker, for instance.

“It didn’t look very good,” McCarthy said of what he called a “piece of work” of a practice.

“There will be a lot of things to correct and learn from. Once again, that’s part of going from 75 players to 53 and practice squad and people playing dual roles and everything, so it wasn’t the prettiest practice today, but hopefully it'll count by the end of the week.”

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"On punts, Goode’s snaps were generally good during a lengthy punting segment. Frost struggled with his first couple punts but got into a groove. His leg strength doesn’t compare to Jon Ryan’s — Frost struggled to kick the ball 40 yards into a decent breeze — but he ran the returners ragged with his ability to punt to the left and right sideline"

I feel that this ability is going to pull us out of a tight squeeze more than once this season.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
any word on Hawk's condition?

Ahead of schedule.. chances are slim that he plays Monday night, but a chance is better than expected. Per PGazette.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts