Loss of Clowney

AZRunning

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anybody upset with the loss of David Clowney? I'm not sure how to feel about this. First of all I like his speed and ability to run the deep route but he sure didn't show anything in preseason. Secondly, we are definitely deep at receiver and with Koren possibly coming back in a few weeks we'll get even deeper. I'm guessing we won't miss him much but it's too bad we used a 4th round pick on him.

Edit: check that, make it a 5th round pick.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happened to Clowney anyway? I thought he was on the practice squad, but I just checked and he isn't anymore. He showed very little in the preseason, so I guess he's just one of those picks that didn't pan out. Further proof that speed is only a small part of the equation, even for a WR.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clowney was signed to the Jets active roster off of our practice squad. The TE was added to replace him.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Is anybody upset with the loss of David Clowney? I'm not sure how to feel about this. First of all I like his speed and ability to run the deep route but he sure didn't show anything in preseason. Secondly, we are definitely deep at receiver and with Koren possibly coming back in a few weeks we'll get even deeper. I'm guessing we won't miss him much but it's too bad we used a 4th round pick on him.

Edit: check that, make it a 5th round pick.

Well to me this is a two part issue with Clowney... first and foremost he lacks the ability to get off the LOS. He got jambed and bumped off his route too easily in preseason. Although the offensive sets were vanilla and not alot of movement presnap (which would help get him a clean release) it was apparent that he needed to be seasoned a bit.

Second issue, where do you fit him on the field? Martin has made big catch after big catch so far this season. Krob will be back at some point as you noted. They gambled a little bit by keeping him on the practice squad, but apparently with bringing Boniford back and not calling him up, something was amiss with him.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true. After Holiday went on IR, I was looking for Clowney to get called up. But instead we picked up Bodiford and Francies first. Just goes to show the lack of confidence the coaching staff had in what he could add to the teamin the present.

I do wish we could have kept him on the practice squad because I do think he could develop into a good kick returner in the future. Alas, teams lose good players off their PS every year.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clowney's an awesome kick returner in Madden '08...at least he contributed in some way to the Packers albeit small, right? :)

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe the loss of Clowney is of any significance. They signed Carlyle Holiday over him, when he went down they signed Chris Francies instead of Clowney, and when Bodiford became available they signed him instead of Francies.

Clowney couldn't have been very good..

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to happen more and more on a young team getting better and deeper.
The later 2nd day draft picks are going to have to either be at a position we are still needing depth, or, they are a real surprise and show more than what their draft spot gave them credit for.

This isn't '05 when we were shy of football players at every position and nobody to back up who could play.

Fifth, sixth, and seventh rounders could find a roster spot hard to come by around here for awhile. That's a good thing too by the way.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anybody upset with the loss of David Clowney?

HELL YEAH! I haven't had ONE kick return for a touchdown since they updated rosters with him off the team!

Sign him back, TT!

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was awful, I wish the best for him but he has gone the way of Cory Rodgers and Craig Bragg

Reaction score
I was initially sad to hear of him being signed away, but then I got to thinking.

Clowney's was hyped up as our deep threat during camps. That's it, we didn't hear about his exceptional hands, or his ability to elevate over defenders to make a tough catch, or his ability to disengage from contact and make tough catches in traffic.

His entire hype was speed, and that was our perceived weakness.

Well thus far we've seen that the need for a deep threat isn't as glaring as people initially thought. Driver is quick and certainly has caught deep balls in the past, Gregorious has shown that he is great football speed, and can take short passes deep, James Jones has shown the speed to get deep that he wasn't supposed to have, and ditto Ruvell Martin. We also have K-Rob coming back.

I don't think Clowney's speed was as important as it may have been before the season, before we saw our WR group showing speed people thought was lacking. Best of luck to him, but to be honest this isn't a loss of any significance.

Members online

Latest posts