Losing a home game on the frozen tundra?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As everyone here knows, there are several teams in the N.F.L. that have international lure. The Green Bay Packers have that international lure… If one would ask anyone outside the United States of America to name a NFL football team the answer would be a team with history. The Packers are a team that has international lure.

Now lets move from history to the future.

The NFL has proposed playing two regular-season games outside the United States starting in 2008, league officials said Saturday.

NOTE: THIS MEANS TWO NFL TEAMS WILL LOSE TWO REGULAR SEASONS HOME GAMES.

The reason is obvious for the N.F.L. as a whole and it would be to build a worldwide following, sell more jerseys, sign more T.V. contracts overseas and develop a new market.

The question I have for the forum is…. How would you feel about losing a home game so the Packers can play a home game in Germany? Would you feel that this is a great thing and we can build our Packer Nation? Or would you feel like you just got ripped, by losing one game in your season ticket package?

Would you feel that it is good for the Packers to build a fan base, or would you be pissed that the team had to make a long trip through time zones and the effect it would have the following week even if the Pack took the flight to Europe before a bye week?

Would you be willing to give up a Home Game to help the NFL as a whole build it’s worldwide market?

I would say no way! Forget it! My Packers and Raiders need to stay home.

I would tell Mark Waller the head of international development for the N.F.L. to stick his idea up the backside of the Houston Texans and the Jacksonville Jags.

Your thoughts on losing a home game in Green Bay?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well I dont live in GB, dont have a package, etc. But any team in the NFL would not like to lose a home game. Unless that gives us like a #2 draft pick and more cap space, and Jessica Alba as every packers fans personal cheerleader...nah.

But if it happened, I wouldnt cry, it would be neat to see foreigners go crazy over GB.

be back later, i have jessica alba related things to do...

Reaction score
RP, I am so conflicted on this issue. Being in Canada, I think it would be AMAZING to have a chance to see GB come to Canada, where it wouldn't cost me as much to go watch the game. I would cherrish such an oppertunity. At the same time I know Gakk, bavqb are in Europe, and I believe they too would love the chance to have a chance to watch the Packers play in their native land. It would create more GB Packer fans, more people to discuss things with on the forums.

At the same time, I can see how others would be pissed about that, and I too would be a little pissed myself. I have heard tales of Lambeau, have never gone there yet. I want to go through the whole experience, to see the past, rich history of Lambeau. To feel in awe as I find out the players from past decades to walk in the same building as me. To share a tailgate party, celebrate a Packers win afterwards. To watch at Lambeau with over 70,000 other fans, most of whom I know have made the same trek as I have. It is a moment I look forward to one day, and I just believe watching a Packer game can't be complete without the Lambeau experience.

All in all, I think the players being affected and needing to adapt to the different time zones would increase their chance for a loss. And for that reason I say it SHOULDN'T happen. I want my Packers to have every bit of help they can to win, and I really believe we can regain the Lambeau mystique under coach McCarthy. So if this does happen, I would be a little mad.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say it is a great idea to get more of an international audience and gain more fans, but yes it does suck to lose a home game. I think it is worth it in the long run though because gaining more international attention would be great.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just do it with the 4th preseason game and leave the regular season games alone!
I could get into a real political roll of razor wire on this but I won't as it would bring me nothing but grief.
In brief I would be pi$$ed.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont like this idea at all!!!! The Packers have a BIG fan base as it is they dont need to travel the countryside. All of this is just to fill certain peoples pockets. They should play their home games at home, that is why they call it "Home Games".

Why couldnt they play a pre season game internationally?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be OK if they could figure out a way to have teams play there that got extra home games in the playoffs the previous year. It would kind of even things out that way.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NATIONAL football league... when they change it to International Football Leauge, that would be when i'm ok with playing a reg. season game in ****ing Europe. i'd be pissed.

EDIT: sorry Gakk

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah gaining more international attention is a bad thing. We shouldn't want others to share in our excitement about this amazing sport. The Arizona San Francisco game in Mexico was pretty sweet, thousands of people that can't normally see these games in person enjoying themselves at a game and the game probably had a lasting effect on many and probably made tons of new NFL fans. I do understand it sucks to lose home games, but it is kind of selfish to want to keep the sport away from people worldwide. It will cause one home game per team every few years and will bring new experiences to places to gain new fans. Say they have one game outside the US every season. Only one team would lose one home game every year. It would totally be worth it.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another positive (if you're looking for positives in this situation) would be that the game would most certainly be nationally televised, meaning that GB fans around the country would surely get to see at least one more Packer game on TV than they would in a normal season.... i guess.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a dream come true to see the Packers in Europe for a
regular season game but I wouldn't mind if it was just a preseason game.
:D

A regular season game in Europe in 2008 would leave you guys with (only :roll: ) 7 home games and 3-6 games within travel-distance
and the others to watch on television. And remember: There's always 2009 :!:

Usually I get lucky to watch ONE game per season on TV and maybe TWO others on DVD.........

So don't tell ME how hard it is to miss a home game. :wink:

Reaction score
Well obviously it would be great for us over the pond.

I make 4 games a year anyhow, this would be 5 !!

can't see the UK getting the Packers though........

Dolphins Bears 49'ers and Cowboys are much better supported over here

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The_Gray_Ghost_of_Gonzaga said:
Well obviously it would be great for us over the pond.

I make 4 games a year anyhow, this would be 5 !!

can't see the UK getting the Packers though........

Dolphins Bears 49'ers and Cowboys are much better supported over here

you must be LOADED if you go to 4 Packers games/year, from the UK no less

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
obviously, our respective ideas of "not that expensive" are very different!

wow - i'd have to agree with ya on that one, bozz! just the price of tickets alone can be staggering for decent seats!! my philosophy is that if i'm driving all the way to lambeau, i'm getting GREAT seats! :wink: :D

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say ok but shorten Preseason and add two games to the regular season and go with 18 game format with two games played internationally .

And while there at it lets have the world cup final played at lambeu. Oh yeah stadium is too small sorry i forget that American Footbal is like the 4th most popular international sport

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is already involved in Euope and is going to add two more teams to six already playing in NFL-Europe in 2010.

Of coarse, The NFL is interested is playing in other countries. Any business is interested in expanding into markets all over the world. The NFL is a business and needs MONEY and is always looking for more opportunities to earn more money. They would like to see every country develop an interest in Football, and they would like that to be NFL football, not developed by another league, if the opportunity present itself in other countries.

The NFL is a organization of its member NFL Franchises. TV money and NFL logo license merchandise profit is split evenly between each member team. And gate receipts are divided up by the two teams!!

Mark Walier, head of NFL international development said the proposal to play abroad was put to team owners. Tuesday in Denver. It came after 49ers and Cardinals played last October before a regular season record crowd of 103,000 in Mexico City. Big crowd, big Dollars!!!!

If the NFL orders a NFL Franchise to play a game scheduled in Germany or England Etc the NFL team is expect to be there, or I would guess there will be penalties given to the Franchise .

You haven't heard the end of regular NFL season games abroad!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts