Looking towards the future

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've brought this up in another forum I belong to. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Thesis: Woodson's replacements are currently on the roster. His playing time will start to go down next year and probably won't be on the roster in 2014.

Woodson plays two positions, safety in base, slot corner in nickel/dime/psycho. McMillian is playing very well and I see him jumping next year from "nickel safety" to simply "starting safety opposite Burnett."

This leaves Woodson just playing corner, but he doesn't have 'it' anymore to play outside. He's not better down in and down out than Shields or Williams. Thus, Woodson will be, at best, the nickel corner in 2013. On the field roughly 70% of the time, but not a true starter anymore.

Add in Hayward progressing nicely and House's excellent pre-season. They should both be better next season. Woodson might even feel pressure next year to keep his nickel slot, IF any one of those 4 have the muscle and ability to play the run and blitz.

Thoughts?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing I'm keeping an eye on is what the Packers are doing now.
As for the future, we shall see and time will tell.
Things change.
Draft picks, injuries, trades, retirements, etc, etc.
Until then, I'll leave it up to the experts who are running the Packers.
So IMO it's pointless to be thinking about the Pack next season.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well last night they said Woodson was filling in as a l.b. so he is a jack of all trades back there so I don't think he has to worry right now:)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think anyone will take Woodson's place when he retires. Did you hear Collinsworth (I think) last night talking about how Woodson actually plays LB on some plays in the nickel? That's why Woodson is unique in the Packers' schemes: His versatility has allowed Capers to use him in extraordinary ways. While he's not the player he used to be, he's still a crafty vet and a respected leader on D. And he has unselfishly helped youngsters get better at studying opponents.

Woodson contract goes through the 2014 season. According to rotoworld his contract in 2013 and 2014 each call for a $6.5M salary with a roster bonus of $2.5M plus $1M in per game roster bonuses. That's $9M per year plus (I assume) $62,500 for each game played. That money only makes sense for a difference-maker so if Woodson's production falls off he'll either have to renogiate (ala Driver) or retire. I too am very encouraged by the young DBs on this team as was mentioned in the OP. Woodson just turned 36-years old and of course can't play forever. If I had to guess today I too would guess 2013 will be his last season with the Packers.
Only thing I'm keeping an eye on is what the Packers are doing now. ... So IMO it's pointless to be thinking about the Pack next season.
Now wait a minute. Aren't you the poster that started the thread wondering about Don Majkowski? So it's OK to go back 20 years in Packers history before you were a fan of the Packers but you don't want to look one or two years ahead of the current team?;):D

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best db i've ever watched play football and he Does it all, how many db's do you see playing outside lb? Woodson tackles, forces fumbles, intercepts the ball, plays multiple positions, and scores touchdowns or put's us in position to score. He is irreplaceable. ONLY player to ever win the Heisman, Superbowl ring, and DPOY.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ONLY player to ever win the Heisman, Superbowl ring, and DPOY.

As the only defensive player to win the Heisman it makes sense that he is the only Heisman winner to win the DPOY haha.

I personally think Mcmillin has the best chance to replace Woodson's role in the D. As a rookie he seems to already have some very good instincts and is a decent hitter.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now wait a minute. Aren't you the poster that started the thread wondering about Don Majkowski? So it's OK to go back 20 years in Packers history before you were a fan of the Packers but you don't want to look one or two years ahead of the current team?;):D
:oops:

I'll just be over here if you need anything.
Just go ahead and discuss things and pretend I'm not here.
*Slips out quietly behind the curtain*

OP
OP
M

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying we could replace Woodson's complete playmaking role, merely that he's near the end of his career and we've got some good younger players.

McMillian looks like a good safety. It's not much of a stretch to play him in base as well as nickel.

Heyward/House look like strong, physical corners that could cover and redirect the slot receiver, so basic nickel responsibilities are checked off. House at least is a willing and sure tackler. Now presuming they can blitz, they'd meet the requirements for the quasi-position that Woodson currently plays.

As far as "Woodson player linebacker," that's more just Collinsworth talking him up, I think. He was roaming close to the line and took on a blocker. Did it well. If he regularly had linebacker responsibilities, he'd get killed.

As far as "Woodson is irreplaceable," yeah, well. Something something, cemeteries full of, something something.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
My thoughts are Green Bay pulling off another 2010 style SUPERBOWL WIN, and Charles and Donald can close out there careers on a High Note, as CHAMPS.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts