Looking for Packer People

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow been catching up on the posts and am simply amazed at the man crush/hate when it comes to Randy Moss or Shockley(sp).

Alot of people like to throw out that they are not Packer people. Listen what is a Packer person. A hearty player (sure) humble (naaaa not realy).

To me a Packer person is a FOOTBALL player plain and simple. A guy that fits into a scheme that MM is trying to build in Green Bay.

Does Randy Moss fit into MM's scheme ahhhhh YEAH big tall physical reciever. Shockley(sp) yeah him too a big firery TE who can catch.

No I am not saying that the Pack would aquire either. But I remind everyone that a Andre Rison came to GB and helped them win a SB. He was then released and GB lost a legimate WR and lost the next Superbowl. One of Wolf's biggest blunders.

So as long as TT is bringing in FA's and trading for quality football players that help this team compete and win at a high level do you really think you will b*tch about it. No not likely.

:twocents:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I havent heard GB management bring up 'Packer People' in a long time. I think they abandoned that cuteness when they got Koren. I think we should also move on from it.

However, some people are just bad teammates and human beings. Natural malcontents, and should be avoided 99% of the time if possible.

But I believe 'Packer People' is dead(unless they bring it up again) so we should let it stay dead.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was just to get the fans going again after the 4-12 season. Green Bay has a lot of tradition and the fans usually don't like the TO's, Ocho Cinco's (great nickname BTW), and the Shockey's. Plus Moss hasn't had the most cordial relationship with the Packer fans.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me a Packer person is one who comes to practice and works hard to be ready to play on Sunday. They are people with good character. Green Bay is really a small town by NFL standards. Guys like Shocky, Moss, Owens, these guys couldn't exist in a small town without causing trouble because they're showboats. They have to be in the limelight all the time. Players like that just don't make it in Green Bay.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Max McGee play the SuperBowl with a hangover and only an hour or two of sleep? Didn't Paul Horning get suspended for a year because of gambling?

This whole Packer People thing is silly. Now, if someone's a murderer or a ******, I wouldn't want him on the Packers. But a showboat, one who's smoked a few joints before, one who's been drunk and obnoxious at a party, I can live with that.

Let's win some games and get one more SuperBowl ring for Favre before he retires. I say, grab Moss, get a TE that can catch (Shockey), and do something about our Safety situation and we got a shot.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me a Packer person is one who comes to practice and works hard to be ready to play on Sunday. They are people with good character. Green Bay is really a small town by NFL standards. Guys like Shocky, Moss, Owens, these guys couldn't exist in a small town without causing trouble because they're showboats. They have to be in the limelight all the time. Players like that just don't make it in Green Bay.

Good point, but I disagree with Moss. Lumping Moss in the same category as Owens is like putting a one-time drunk driver with Charles Manson. Owens is a cancer, and manages to alienate EVERYBODY close to him. Moss can be arrogant (which IMO is NOT a bad thing), and wants more than anything to be on a winning team. Moss is also a huge Favre fan, and would be completely content catching deep balls from Favre.

Whether fans want to admit it or not, Favre's not the Favre of '96. He's still better than 80% of NFL starting QBs, there's no doubt about that. But now he needs help. Jennings will be good in the next few years. Moss is good NOW. Moss catches the jump balls that Driver hasn't been getting because of double or sometimes even triple coverage. Opposing defenses cannot consistently double cover Driver and Moss. If they do, they'll have to rush 3 people and Favre will have four or five seconds, which is plenty of time to find an open receiver or dump one off to a RB.

Barring injuries, with the addition of Moss, I could see Favre EASILY throwing 25 TDs. With a solid TE like Shockey (in addition to Moss), I could see Favre throwing 30 TDs. This offense will be a killer like what we had in the mid-90s.

Not only that, the additions of Moss and Shockey will open up the running game. I wouldn't be surprised if Green gets more than 4.5 yards per carry, just because opposing defenses are so scared of the pass.

I have tremendous faith in Favre, that he can keep Moss and Shockey under control. I don't think the same about TO. Favre has a charisma to him that you cannot deny. Now if Favre calls it quits, my whole points are useless.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They never gave a clear cut definition of "Packer People"

So saying "Packer People" means all around good guys is pure speculation.

Frankly I think Packer People translates to Players who love the game whether they're nice guys or not. That’s just a guess though. You’ll have to ask Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy what it means because their take on it is the only one that matters.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Considering thast K-Rob is not a "choir boy" Packer people prob mean what you stated Porky...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Frankly I think Packer People translates to Players who love the game whether they're nice guys or not. That’s just a guess though. You’ll have to ask Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy what it means because their take on it is the only one that matters.

Ask Ted or Mike eh? Sounds simple enough. What's either of their addresses? Phone? Email? What would be the best method to ask either of those men? Hmm?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Didn't Max McGee play the SuperBowl with a hangover and only an hour or two of sleep? Didn't Paul Horning get suspended for a year because of gambling?

This whole Packer People thing is silly. Now, if someone's a murderer or a ******, I wouldn't want him on the Packers. But a showboat, one who's smoked a few joints before, one who's been drunk and obnoxious at a party, I can live with that.

What Paul Hornung and Max McGee did was not in anyway bad in comparison to what some of these guys are doing today. Hornung has been a model citizen. McGee is an icon.

Moss is a hoodlum, Terrel Owens is just a bad person. They are indeed talented, but their selfishness interferes with the good they can do.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Ask Ted or Mike eh? Sounds simple enough. What's either of their addresses? Phone? Email? What would be the best method to ask either of those men? Hmm?

Your a smart guy. Figure it out if you want to know. :thumbsup:

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If I'm not mistaken, TT first used the term when explaining/introducing MM as the new HC, thereafter MM began using it too. The other terms TT used frequently along with 'packer people' were 'tough', 'no-nonsense', 'blue-collar', 'great references', 'links to the Packer organisation.'

Not sure if all that would apply to either Moss or Shockey. Might have applied to Gonzalez but he's not available. Also the term seemed to be used more with reference to coaches than to players.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

Your a smart guy. Figure it out if you want to know. :thumbsup:

K, I'll update you when I get a reply.

Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 1:17 PM
To: Ted Thompson [mailto:[email protected]]
CC: Mike McCarthy (E-mail); 'Bob Harlan (E-mail)'
Subject: Packer People

Hello guys, long time fan here. Good work. I jus have one quick question. What do you mean when you say "Packer People" ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts