Looking ahead to 2012

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just general thoughts here looking ahead to next season and the Packers prospects...

The NFC North should be the best division in the NFC and maybe the entire league. The Lions aren't going anywhere but up if they can upgrade the defense (sound familiar Packers fans?) The Bears will get Cutler back and probably Forte. If their defense stays healthy and they pick up a couple quality receivers, they will also provide a challenge. As for the Vikings? Not really sure if they will vbe ready for prime time yet. They have numerous concerns - defensive secondary, receivers and Ponder needs to grow up fast for them to compete again.

As for the rest of the NFC, I see SF still going strong with Seattle (if they can find a decent QB) providing a challenge along with the Cardinals as they looked very good down the stretch.

The NFC South will be interesting and very balanced if Tampa Bay can get their act together. And of course the always interesting NFC East. I don't see the Cowboys improving or the Redskins, but I think the Eagles will have a huge say in who wins the division and the Giants are always in it.

Overall I think the NFC is and will be superior to the AFC for the next few years.

Here's hoping the Packers can make drastic improvements on the defensive side because if they don't, they may not even make the playoffs.

D

Dan115

Just general thoughts here looking ahead to next season and the Packers prospects...

The NFC North should be the best division in the NFC and maybe the entire league. The Lions aren't going anywhere but up if they can upgrade the defense (sound familiar Packers fans?) The Bears will get Cutler back and probably Forte. If their defense stays healthy and they pick up a couple quality receivers, they will also provide a challenge. As for the Vikings? Not really sure if they will vbe ready for prime time yet. They have numerous concerns - defensive secondary, receivers and Ponder needs to grow up fast for them to compete again.

As for the rest of the NFC, I see SF still going strong with Seattle (if they can find a decent QB) providing a challenge along with the Cardinals as they looked very good down the stretch.

The NFC South will be interesting and very balanced if Tampa Bay can get their act together. And of course the always interesting NFC East. I don't see the Cowboys improving or the Redskins, but I think the Eagles will have a huge say in who wins the division and the Giants are always in it.

Overall I think the NFC is and will be superior to the AFC for the next few years.

Here's hoping the Packers can make drastic improvements on the defensive side because if they don't, they may not even make the playoffs.

Don't forget the Saints.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I'm going to question the Bears D this year, I think its getting a little older and their playmakers are gonna to lose a step. I can see Urlacher losing a step kind of like Woodson has. Though yeah NFC North the Black and Blue division.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Tampa Bay is the laughing stock of the NFC South and will continue to be if they hire Brad Childress, or even Sherman. The only coach they interviewed that could turn those losers into winners is Marty Schottenihemer and I don't see him coaching there. You can argue them winning 10 games back in 2010, but look at that schedule, same reason Atlanta won 13 that year. The Saints will more than likely keep their power in the South, now that they have fired Gregg Williams and brought in Spagnaulo as the defensive coordinator, but my eyes of the South are on Carolina. They are the team I actually think poses the biggest threat to New Orleans. Atlanta is an average team, but if the Panthers build a good team around Newton, they could become a power house.

As for the NFC North, I think it's going to become a race between Detroit and Green Bay next year for the division. The Lions will be trying to prove to us all that this year was not a fluke and they are a team of the future. The one thing that worries me about the Packers is the defense. Regardless what anyone says, that D in 2010 is what helped them win the Super Bowl.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone in the NFC South ever repeat as division winner? It's almost odd.

In the AFC it's clearly the Luck led Colts and everyone else fighting for second place. No really though. I think it's the Texans AFC to lose next year assuming they can continue on from what they started this year WITH Schaub. They might become the new Colts of the AFC but with a MUCH better D.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2012 is a make-or-break year for those of us who dreamed of another Packers dynasty.

No one outside Pittsburgh considers the Steelers of 2005 and 2008 to be a dynasty. In fact, not even most Steelers fans call themselves a dynasty of the 2000s (they simply whine that they would have won every Super Bowl during the 2000s if not for those pesky officials!). The Patriots failed miserably in 2002, but they bounced back to win back-to-back titles in 2003 and 2004. If the Packers are to be remembered as a dynasty and not just a good team, they need to win it all next year. Else we might be looking back at these years the same way we look back at the late 90s - as missed opportunities to have a dynasty.

That's why I literally cried after the loss on Sunday, the same way I did after the Super Bowl XXXII loss. Because everything pointed to it being "our year." (Then again I'm a loser who has nothing else going for him besides the Packers.) My theme for 2011 was "glory" - we failed at achieving that. My theme for 2012 is "redemption."

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
2012 is a make-or-break year for those of us who dreamed of another Packers dynasty.

No one outside Pittsburgh considers the Steelers of 2005 and 2008 to be a dynasty. In fact, not even most Steelers fans call themselves a dynasty of the 2000s (they simply whine that they would have won every Super Bowl during the 2000s if not for those pesky officials!). The Patriots failed miserably in 2002, but they bounced back to win back-to-back titles in 2003 and 2004. If the Packers are to be remembered as a dynasty and not just a good team, they need to win it all next year. Else we might be looking back at these years the same way we look back at the late 90s - as missed opportunities to have a dynasty.

That's why I literally cried after the loss on Sunday, the same way I did after the Super Bowl XXXII loss. Because everything pointed to it being "our year." (Then again I'm a loser who has nothing else going for him besides the Packers.) My theme for 2011 was "glory" - we failed at achieving that. My theme for 2012 is "redemption."

Yep. But, man sometimes that sounds like too much pressure. I think the Packers can do it but they have to shape up this D. If it can get in the top half of the league they will be golden. But, should we take baby steps? Maybe top 25? lol Then top 20?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. But, man sometimes that sounds like too much pressure. I think the Packers can do it but they have to shape up this D. If it can get in the top half of the league they will be golden. But, should we take baby steps? Maybe top 25? lol Then top 20?

why baby steps? we were #2 last year. This team is only 2-3 players from having a damn good defense and legendary Offense

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
why baby steps? we were #2 last year. This team is only 2-3 players from having a damn good defense and legendary Offense

Maybe baby steps is the wrong term. But, with such a dramatic turnaround in the D from one year (regardless of what anyone blames) it still simply blows my mind at times. I hoped all year they would get on track and they never ever did. Some hoped a loss would shape them up. And it didn't.

A few players might be the answer like you say. But, if those players get hurt then are they back to the bottom again?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will make the playoffs. How far they go into the playoffs is dependent on how they address their defensive issues primarily.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are the odds-on favorite to win the 2013 Super Bowl per Vegas (5:1).

I'm looking forward to next season for a number of reasons:

1) The schedule looks easy. The Packers play the NFC West (49er's @ home), AFC South, Minnesota twice, ect...
2) The defense can only get better (can't get worse than 32/32). I'm going to be excited to see new players on the defensive line and outside linebacker.
3) Another season of watching Aaron Rodgers be the best quarterback in football.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in my humble opinion the NFC North is going to be the 3rd best division in the NFC (behind the NFC East and NFC South). I think the packers are going to go 14-2 or 16-0, the lions will go 9-7 (I think they played above their heads this year honestly) I believe the bears will have a losing record at 6-10 and the vikings finish 5-11.

The NFC East will have the Eagles and Giants battling it out for the division (with an offseason this year and the way they came on late, barring an injury to vick, I see the eagles winning this division.) I see the cowboys getting better, so i see 3 teams in that division better than .500.

The NFC South I see the saints and Falcons doing about the same they did this year, maybe slightly better win/loss. I think the panthers take a step back or remain at 6-10 and the Buccaneers improve to 7-9 or 8-8.

Our division should be a piece of cake...which is a good thing.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the Falcon's being the same, if anything maybe worse. Panther's I see getting better, another year in the system for Newton, add a couple of offensive playmakers through the draft and FA, and that team is a 9 win team...maybe not playoffs, but close.

NFC North, Bears will be better, Cutler will be back, though their OLine woes may bite them hard in the ***, and they will have a new Offensive Cordinator. Only way they wont be is if Forte isn't back. Lion's will be better as well. All their defense needs is a couple of good CB's. I see them giving the Packers a run for their money. Packer's....well as long as they get a couple more playmakers they'll be fine on defense. 13-3, 14-2 pretty good shot at it. Rodger's needs to play better at the end of the season next year. I would like to see more of a run game as well, but doubt that will happen.

NFC East, screw'm cant' stand any of them LOL

NFC West, SF will be about the same, Alex Smith will finally be in the same system for 2 straight years and may be more comfortable with the ball, but we'll see if he stays in SF. Seattle will be better...if they get a QB, Jackson wont cut it for them. Ram's....they got a LOT of work to do...maybe 5 wins. Arizona...no clue, apparently they are interested in getting Peyton Manning from Indy...

Latest posts