Looking ahead...ATL or DAL

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Match-up wise, I am thrilled we are going to Dallas before Atlanta. I love the Packers chances in Dallas. Their defense will not be able to stop the packers offense and their offense will not be able to keep up with the packers offense.

Atlanta is a scary game for Green Bay. I think they are the only playoff team (with the exception of the Steelers way down the line) that is a horrible match up for the Packers at this point. The shoot out is too much luck. Last player with the ball kind of wins in past playoff history does not usually go our way. I will be cheering for Seattle Saturday and if we knock off dem boys, NFC Championship rematch in Seattle sounds real good.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Match-up wise, I am thrilled we are going to Dallas before Atlanta. I love the Packers chances in Dallas. Their defense will not be able to stop the packers offense and their offense will not be able to keep up with the packers offense.

Atlanta is a scary game for Green Bay. I think they are the only playoff team (with the exception of the Steelers way down the line) that is a horrible match up for the Packers at this point. The shoot out is too much luck. Last player with the ball kind of wins in past playoff history does not usually go our way. I will be cheering for Seattle Saturday and if we knock off dem boys, NFC Championship rematch in Seattle sounds real good.

Personally I don't think any of these games are scary, not after yesterday.

Now ... don't get me wrong I'm not looking ahead, I'm mostly concerned with this Dallas game, but I can't decide which team I want to win this Saturday in Atlanta. On the one hand it'd be fun to have a rematch of that 2014 NFC Championship game and come out of the Link stunning the 12th man and Legion of Boom. But on the other hand, one can't lie that us vs the Falcons would be a highly entertaining shootout game. I'm not afraid of facing either team (if we get there), just can't decide which victory would be sweeter.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With Atlanta it'll just be a high scoring game. Ryan has had a stellar season, but Rodgers in current form is his match, if not more. Their Defence is far worse than ours, so I expect us to outscore them.

Dallas is a more balanced attack. Between Zeke and Bryant, Dak has a variety and this will be more difficult to defend against. Their Defence is also better than ours. Honestly I fancy ourselves so much better against Falcons.

Personally I don't think any of these games are scary, not after yesterday.

The Giants made us look better than we were. Pre-Game discussions were all about their D and people kinda ignored their stuttering offence and non-existent run game. When DRC left, that vaunted D lost it's teeth too. Not taking away from our boys, but this was a one sided matchup and the scores proved it.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I didn't think the Packer cornerbacks would have a chance against those guys. In fact they were burnt pretty bad a couple times and thankfully, for some reason the Giant receivers had dropsies. What were the PFF numbers on our cornerbacks from the game? I'm still not totally sure the cornerbacks are going to stand up against a QB/Receiver combination that is really clicking. But after yesterday, I am a little more optimistic.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

If we can find a way to even half way neutralize Elliot, we'll win this game. Dallas' defense just might be the most overrated unit in football, and based off of what we just did to the Giants, I'm not worried about the offense throwing up big numbers. The Giants unit is far from overrated defensively.

Force Dak into uncomfortable throwing situations, and we'll have our opportunities.

Dallas, IMO, is by far the better matchup. Anytime you can choose between a rookie QB with questionable range, you take that over an MVP level veteran who can fling it all over the yard.

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect the Packers defense to mostly use a completely different scheme against the Cowboys compared to yesterday's game vs. the Giants. Unfortunately stopping Elliott will require loading the box leaving our cornerbacks in one-on-one situations against their receivers. Even as the unit was able to hold the Giants to 13 points there were several occasions on which the team's cornerbacks were eaten badly but either Manning misfired or the receivers dropped the ball. I don't feel confortable about Randall and Gunter in coverage without any safety help over the top.

The Packers are going to win the game if the offense continues to perform on a high level and the defense is able to put Prescott in unfavorable down and distance situations for most of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
for some reason the Giant receivers had dropsies.
You don't think the 10-15deg temp had anything to do with it? Maybe Odell's stickem gloves don't work when it is that cold and he actually has to catch the ball as opposed to putting up his hand and having it stick to his gloves.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately stopping Elliott will require loading the box leaving our cornerbacks in one-on-one situations against their receivers.

Yeah. Agree.

We really need to blitz and hurry up Dak. Force him to hand off more where our loaded box can contain Zeke and take pressure off the CBs.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't think the 10-15deg temp had anything to do with it? Maybe Odell's stickem gloves don't work when it is that cold and he actually has to catch the ball as opposed to putting up his hand and having it stick to his gloves.
http://www.businessinsider.com/odell-beckham-jr-shuts-down-theory-on-gloves-2015-12
Hall of Fame receiver Tim Brown said that Beckham's catches need to be appreciated in a different light because of the sticky gloves he wears.
"The guy's a freak of nature, no doubt about it, I'll give you that. He has the big hands and all that," Brown told the LA Times. "But those gloves are so 'tackified' these days that that's part of the reason you see guys making those kinds of catches."

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the Packers defense to mostly use a completely different scheme against the Cowboys compared to yesterday's game vs. the Giants. Unfortunately stopping Elliott will require loading the box leaving our cornerbacks in one-on-one situations against their receivers. Even as the unit was able to hold the Giants to 13 points there were several occasions on which the team's cornerbacks were eaten badly but either Manning misfired or the receivers dropped the ball. I don't feel confortable about Randall and Gunter in coverage without any safety help over the top.

The Packers are going to win the game if the offense continues to perform on a high level and the defense is able to put Prescott in unfavorable down and distance situations for most of the game.

I think Gunter might be a good matchup on Bryant, he's at his best when facing bigger receivers. My question, will Randall play like he did for most of last night or will he go back to trying to force big plays?

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah. Agree.

We really need to blitz and hurry up Dak. Force him to hand off more where our loaded box can contain Zeke and take pressure off the CBs.

It will be absolutely essential to limit Elliott's success on first down runs to possibly be able to play both safeties deep on other downs. Dallas is by far the most run oriented team on first down rushing the ball on 61.6% of the plays.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If GB gets past Dallas I think I'd rather see them play Seattle. Packers scored 70 combined points against ATL & SEA this year, but Matty Puddles lit them up and there's no reason to think they wouldn't do the same again. Seattle is the better matchup for GB. That's not to say that they couldn't beat the Falcons. I just think the Hags are a bit better matchup, since they don't have the offensive firepower that Atlanta does.

I do think Atlanta will blow the doors off Seattle.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Giants made us look better than we were. Pre-Game discussions were all about their D and people kinda ignored their stuttering offence and non-existent run game. When DRC left, that vaunted D lost it's teeth too. Not taking away from our boys, but this was a one sided matchup and the scores proved it.

Still, I think it's ridiculous how much people are saying Atlanta is a "bad matchup" for us. How so? They beat us earlier by 1 FREAKING POINT!!! How is that a bad matchup when that game coulda easily gone either way? Of course they have a good offense, what do you expect from playoff teams (other than the Giants)? Yes, a game against them would be competitive, you'll usually have to win 1 or 2 of those en-route to the Superbowl when you're on the road. But more so, I just haven't seen the Falcons really do anything stellar in the playoffs as of late. Granted their last playoff run was under Mike Smith and not Dan Quinn, but still ... until proven otherwise they've been primarily a regular season champ.

Crazy thing too is I just wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Seattle this next game. I don't think they will or that they should, but it just wouldn't surprise me if they did because that's somewhat what they've been like.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still, I think it's ridiculous how much people are saying Atlanta is a "bad matchup" for us. How so?

I think most are worries Ryan will shred out secondary. I agree, if it'll happen.

But then, their defence ain't any better. Our O-line will be most comfortable and Rodgers will have all day to make his throws. Maybe even have a cup of tea before he decides.

Rodgers vs their defence is more lethal than Ryan vs ours.

High scoring and very entertaining game, I suppose. Hope we meet them for the Conference :tup:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given what happened in our game vs Atlanta this year, either team could win - it's a toss up. Given what happened in our game vs Seattle this year - is there any reason to think we wouldn't win again?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If we get by the Cowboys, I would prefer to play Seattle. While I hate the thought of playing AT Seattle, I think we can go out there and pretty much repeat what we did to them in Green Bay. However, we have to remember the turnovers in that game and what happens without them?

Matt Ryan and the Atlanta offense in their house scares me enough to be pulling for a NFCCG rematch in Seattle with the SeaTurkeys.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a big job at Dallas. I think if our offense can start quickly and do what it does, it will be able to put enough pressure on their offense that it can end well for us.

If we go 3 and out repeatedly and give them opportunities to use that run game from a lead, we won't be doing our defense any favors.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't believe there IS a path of least resistance for the Pack. Do think the Pack are the same team the Cowboys wiped the floor with earlier? No, I don't. Do I think the Pack would blow up Seattle again? No I don't.

Given a choice ... I'd take the road through Dallas right now. Not because I'm brimming with confidence but, BECAUSE they kicked our a** last time. They're a young team and my hope would be that they're feelin' all the love they're getting. In the meantime, McCarthy can remind his team that they got their a** kicked at Lambeau by those guys.

"Clay...Julius...Ha ha, hold the elevator please. Thanks guys and by the way, the Cowboys stole your lunch from the fridge before getting on their bus....damn, they took the fridge too."

D

Deleted member 6794

Given what happened in our game vs Atlanta this year, either team could win - it's a toss up. Given what happened in our game vs Seattle this year - is there any reason to think we wouldn't win again?

The Seahawks are a completely different team at home having gone 22-2 against non-division opponents since 2013 at Century Link Field. The Packers for sure have a decent chance of winning at Seattle but it´s foolish to think playing there being a cakewalk either.

Sky King

Reaction score
If destiny continues to wink at the Packers then the opportunity to avenge their losses to the Cowboys and Hawks earlier this season would help to eliminate all doubt that a 10-6 team could actually the best representative from the NFC. They've already soundly thrashed the other two playoff teams from the NFC, the Lions and the Seahawks late in the regular season. But the shoe is on the other foot when it comes to Dallas and Atlanta.

Should they prevail against the Cowboys then I would favor that the path to the SB go through Atlanta.

Members online

Latest posts