1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Look for Lots of Yellow Flags

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Croak, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,973
    I've been mulling over a little hack organizational psychology. The league announced there will be regular conference calls with all the refs, beginning today.

Methinks this is going to cause a problem for teams this weekend. I know the call *really* isn't supposed to deal with issues of complaints from recent weeks. But here's what I'm thinking. Childress cried bloody murder over the Vikings loss last week, blaming it on the refs. The same thing with Miami and the Steelers game.

The league comes down on all the officials so the league can cover its butt against all the complaints. Now the officials will be P.O.'d this Sunday and ready to take it out in the games. I just have a suspicion we are going to see overly picky officiating this weekend in response to the complaints and the crackdown. It's kind of a "you want to complain? OK, we'll really follow the rules and see how you like it" type of thing.

Often when an organization takes public action against complaints you can expect the ones who were acted against to respond in a passive-agressive way. So look out for yellow flags this weekend.

2. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Agreed. I can totally see the refs making every game this weekend a flag fest.

3. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    BTW, I went back through the game log, and Chilly was right to call out the refs. The unnecessary roughness hit on Harvin by Nick Collins that put the Vikes in position for the Shiancoe play was absolutely bogus. The butterfly effect says that play never would have happened had the refs called it correctly.

Oh, and the pick of Rodgers in the end zone was yet another crap call and arguably took points off the board. The first person to touch the ball was a defender who ran out of bounds. Should have been Green Bay ball.

So all in all I agree with Chilly about the officiating having a dramatic impact on the game. Still, the Vikings led 17-14 at half time and got beat.

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,480

LIES!!

Only the Viks got screwed

5. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Yup. Especially since the Shiancoe play happened on 1st and 10 with almost 5 minutes to go. I mean, obviously they had no opportunity to get another first down and follow that up with a TD because the refs screwed them on that one play.

6. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,799
    Is that the one where Harvin was already out of bounds and Collins ran into him?

Sometimes I think there are calls against players who can't stop themselves in time or who can't help but hit another player on accident.

7. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    The call on Collins was bogus. However, I have not been able to find anywhere where it says the Defense cannot be the first person to touch the ball after running out of bounds on a pass play. I have found were an offensive player may not do it, but nothing about a defensive player. If someone has access to the rules on this.....

8. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,799
    I'm willing to give the refs a break.
    Nobody is perfect, and they are only human. No matter what they do, someone will always be dissatisfied with them.
    It's not a job that I would want.
    Until the system changes, it is what it is and we'll just have to put up with it.
    It doesn't mean that we have to like it though.

9. gmann001

gmann001 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17
    Still looking, but this is what I found so far (nothing official though)

NFL Rules & Regulations on Out of Bounds | eHow.com

Does anyone know where the average Joe can view the rulebook? NFL.com has a little bit, but nothing that good that I can find.

10. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Yes, except he was still inbounds at the time of the hit.

11. gmann001

gmann001 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17
    According to NFL rulebook, (NFL Rules Digest: Forward Pass)
    Then found on Wikpedia (so it must mean its true) under Elgible Receiver ([ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligible_receiver]Eligible receiver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame])
    Put one and one together, I think you can say that was NOT an interception.

I am still trying to find something official though.

12. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I've looked online for the rulebook and can't find it. Seems like you can buy it, but the best I can figure is this:

NFL Rules Digest: Summary of Penalties

It doesn't differentiate between offensive or defensive eligible receivers. Best I can figure is, since every defensive player is considered an eligible receiver, this rule should apply and a 5 yard penalty should have been given.

Kinda late to ask about this now, but I'll see if I can find someone with an official NFL rulebook for 2010 and get the scoop.