Look for Lots of Yellow Flags

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I've been mulling over a little hack organizational psychology. The league announced there will be regular conference calls with all the refs, beginning today.

Methinks this is going to cause a problem for teams this weekend. I know the call *really* isn't supposed to deal with issues of complaints from recent weeks. But here's what I'm thinking. Childress cried bloody murder over the Vikings loss last week, blaming it on the refs. The same thing with Miami and the Steelers game.

The league comes down on all the officials so the league can cover its butt against all the complaints. Now the officials will be P.O.'d this Sunday and ready to take it out in the games. I just have a suspicion we are going to see overly picky officiating this weekend in response to the complaints and the crackdown. It's kind of a "you want to complain? OK, we'll really follow the rules and see how you like it" type of thing.

Often when an organization takes public action against complaints you can expect the ones who were acted against to respond in a passive-agressive way. So look out for yellow flags this weekend.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I can totally see the refs making every game this weekend a flag fest.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, I went back through the game log, and Chilly was right to call out the refs. The unnecessary roughness hit on Harvin by Nick Collins that put the Vikes in position for the Shiancoe play was absolutely bogus. The butterfly effect says that play never would have happened had the refs called it correctly.

Oh, and the pick of Rodgers in the end zone was yet another crap call and arguably took points off the board. The first person to touch the ball was a defender who ran out of bounds. Should have been Green Bay ball.

So all in all I agree with Chilly about the officiating having a dramatic impact on the game. Still, the Vikings led 17-14 at half time and got beat.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, I went back through the game log, and Chilly was right to call out the refs. The unnecessary roughness hit on Harvin by Nick Collins that put the Vikes in position for the Shiancoe play was absolutely bogus. The butterfly effect says that play never would have happened had the refs called it correctly.

Oh, and the pick of Rodgers in the end zone was yet another crap call and arguably took points off the board. The first person to touch the ball was a defender who ran out of bounds. Should have been Green Bay ball.

So all in all I agree with Chilly about the officiating having a dramatic impact on the game. Still, the Vikings led 17-14 at half time and got beat.

LIES!!

Only the Viks got screwed

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LIES!!

Only the Viks got screwed

Yup. Especially since the Shiancoe play happened on 1st and 10 with almost 5 minutes to go. I mean, obviously they had no opportunity to get another first down and follow that up with a TD because the refs screwed them on that one play.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that the one where Harvin was already out of bounds and Collins ran into him?

Sometimes I think there are calls against players who can't stop themselves in time or who can't help but hit another player on accident.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

The call on Collins was bogus. However, I have not been able to find anywhere where it says the Defense cannot be the first person to touch the ball after running out of bounds on a pass play. I have found were an offensive player may not do it, but nothing about a defensive player. If someone has access to the rules on this.....

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm willing to give the refs a break.
Nobody is perfect, and they are only human. No matter what they do, someone will always be dissatisfied with them.
It's not a job that I would want.
Until the system changes, it is what it is and we'll just have to put up with it.
It doesn't mean that we have to like it though.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not been able to find anywhere where it says the Defense cannot be the first person to touch the ball after running out of bounds on a pass play......

Still looking, but this is what I found so far (nothing official though)

NFL Rules & Regulations on Out of Bounds | eHow.com

Also, a player who steps out of bounds cannot be the first player to touch a thrown or kicked ball. For example, a receiver or defensive back couldn't go out of bounds, run the length of the field, then emerge to catch the ball in bounds. If the ball touches another player first--such as a tipped pass--then the player returning from out of bounds can catch it.
Does anyone know where the average Joe can view the rulebook? NFL.com has a little bit, but nothing that good that I can find.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that the one where Harvin was already out of bounds and Collins ran into him?

Sometimes I think there are calls against players who can't stop themselves in time or who can't help but hit another player on accident.

Yes, except he was still inbounds at the time of the hit.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still looking...

According to NFL rulebook, (NFL Rules Digest: Forward Pass)
All members of the defensive team are eligible.

Then found on Wikpedia (so it must mean its true) under Elgible Receiver ([ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligible_receiver]Eligible receiver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame])
In the American game, once the play has started, eligible receivers can become ineligible depending on how the play develops. Any eligible receiver that goes out of bounds is no longer an eligible receiver and cannot receive a forward pass.

Put one and one together, I think you can say that was NOT an interception.

I am still trying to find something official though.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've looked online for the rulebook and can't find it. Seems like you can buy it, but the best I can figure is this:

Forward pass is first touched by eligible receiver who has gone out of bounds and returned.

NFL Rules Digest: Summary of Penalties

It doesn't differentiate between offensive or defensive eligible receivers. Best I can figure is, since every defensive player is considered an eligible receiver, this rule should apply and a 5 yard penalty should have been given.

Kinda late to ask about this now, but I'll see if I can find someone with an official NFL rulebook for 2010 and get the scoop.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts