Long term effects of the Buffalo loss. GB @ Seattle?

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It greatly upsets me that we lost, but moreover the way we lost. It was like there was nothing on the line in that game, that's how everyone was playing. Anyway, I know I'm jumping the gun, but the Buffalo loss means that there is a very real possibility that IF we make the playoffs, there's a good chance we will have to go into Seattle for the championship game to win. Can we do this..?

Seattle is going to crush Arizona, I don't care what anyone says. And then they are going to crush the Rams. Good defenses, yes, but Russell is playing well right now and the Rams and Cardinals simply are not going to generate enough points to beat Seattle at home. With that in mind, even if Green Bay wins their next two games, this will leave the two with identical records AND since Seattle already defeated us they own the tie breaker which means, a GB@Seattle championship game.

Like I said, there's many variables that can take place between now and then and even in those first playoff rounds, but assuming everything plays out in this hypothetical then Green Bay will be traveling to Seattle. Is there any indication at all that we could win that game? Post your thoughts.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, none, not a snowballs chance, zip, zilch. All ready to cancel my day-after SB vacation since I don't need to stay up for the game. (3am alarm clock that day.)
[sarcasm OFF]

OP
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay. There's always a CHANCE. I get it. But historically, and even the way this year we've played against good defenses, is there any reason to get excited over the prospect of making it a GOOD GAME? Or would it be Buffalo 2.0?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It greatly upsets me that we lost, but moreover the way we lost. It was like there was nothing on the line in that game, that's how everyone was playing. Anyway, I know I'm jumping the gun, but the Buffalo loss means that there is a very real possibility that IF we make the playoffs, there's a good chance we will have to go into Seattle for the championship game to win. Can we do this..?

Yes.

Seattle is going to crush Arizona, I don't care what anyone says.

You do realize Arizona beat them at their place last year right? And Arizona is better this year and Seattle isn't what they were last year. So any foregone conclusion that Seattle will "crush" Arizona is a denial of reality.

OP
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do realize Arizona beat them at their place last year right? And Arizona is better this year and Seattle isn't what they were last year. So any foregone conclusion that Seattle will "crush" Arizona is a denial of reality.

Are you in some sort of strange delusional world where Arizona isn't playing with their third string QB right now? On top of that they lost their top player in Ellington for the year, and their best player, Fitzgerald, is not 100% healthy. So you have a third string QB with absolutely no help around him outside of his defense, going into Seattle against arguably the best defense in football right now?

I will happily re-visit this thread when Arizona yes, gets crushed in Seattle this weekend. Arizona might be lucky to score a field goal, and that will only come from a defensive surge. The Rams might put up a slightly better battle, but Seattle is still going to win both of these games. Bank on it.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Live and learn. A lot can be learned from losses. Hopefully our boys learn from it so it doesnt happen again.

Im still HIGHLY optimistic about this season and the playoffs.

H

HardRightEdge

Arizona beat Seattle with Carson Palmer last year. Arizona was 8-1 behind Palmer this season, 3-2 behind Drew "Freaking" Stanton. Stanton's out and they're down to Ryan Lindley (181 career passes, 0 TDs, 7 INTs). I don't know if you saw him play long enough last week to make those 10 throws, but if you did you'd agree those career stats don't lie.

"Crush" may be an overstatement given Arizona's defense and the fact that Seattle does not pretend to be a prolific scoring machine. I would not rule out one of those beat downs that's not reflected on the scoreboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Green Bay I think the Packers are an even bet to beat Seattle. In Seattle, not much of a chance. HFA was really really big this year. The Rams could beat Seattle. Their defense is nasty. There is still hope the Buffalo loss won't kill the season and waste another HOF season by Rodgers.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this loss is a throw away; a hot team due for an off game, and it happened.
That said , with the Seahawks rounding into form, I had very little hope of the Packers beating them on the road in the playoffs even before the Bills game.

Reaction score
..I think these two teams will match up better than face value.. I remember that game well and much of the game reminded me of the game against the Bills, We played D+/C- grade and Seattle played B grade .They have an aggressive quick D that challenged the middle often and we had a rookie Center that had never taken a snap in the NFL.. think about that. If you were calling plays in a dome in Seattle against defending SB Champs..how fancy would you get? how much confidence would you have to let him play his one on one battle without help? Seattle played ball control to keep the ball away from AR and rushed effectively.. we have improved against the run significantly and theyll get nowhere near 200+yards this time as long as Russell is shadowed. This will create a more balanced air game and will even the clock. In itself a QB matchup, AR wins that 3/5 against Russel. If we go to Seattle this playoffs.. its one score game late in the 4th and I wouldnt be a bit surprised if it was us playing not to lose

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Seattle is going to crush Arizona, I don't care what anyone says. And then they are going to crush the Rams. Good defenses, yes, but Russell is playing well right now and the Rams and Cardinals simply are not going to generate enough points to beat Seattle at home. With that in mind, even if Green Bay wins their next two games, this will leave the two with identical records AND since Seattle already defeated us they own the tie breaker which means, a GB@Seattle championship game.

Like I said, there's many variables that can take place between now and then and even in those first playoff rounds, but assuming everything plays out in this hypothetical then Green Bay will be traveling to Seattle. Is there any indication at all that we could win that game? Post your thoughts.

Let me just say that although the Buffalo game was a tough loss some on here including myself deemed it as tough and very possible losing match up awhile back. I believe we are in a very good situation moving forward. I mean back in September what more could we of asked for then to be in the position were in?

I also think a lot of people are jumping to a Seattle win too quickly here. I am not predicting an Arizona victory but I think they have a chance to win this game. If they get a key turnover or Ginn makes a nice return you bet they could pull this out. For Seattle to "Crush them" as you point out they would need to score on several drives. I just don't see that happening against an Arizona defense that is at the very least is just as good as Seattle IMO.

Another major factor brewing is this http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...fensive-line-starters-miss-practice-wednesday I see at least two of those guys not playing Sunday. Most likely Unger and Okung. So now you got a banged up offensive line going up against a very stout Cardinals front. They won't move Campbell. Zona has a secondary to keep Seahawk receivers in check. You need elite receivers on outside to beat Zona D so Hawks are going to need Wilson to make plays with his feet.

Arizona also didn't have Fitzgerald in there first meeting so the hawks will have to play different coverage then they did last time to account for him. The Cardinals can run the ball and proved it against a stout Rams front last Thursday. People that say the Cards need Palmer to win this game must of not seen the 4 picks he threw in the game they beat Seattle at Seattle last year. As far as there QB Lindley the jury is out. In 2012 he was horrible on a horrible team at the time and got thrown to the wolves. He came in Thursday off the bench and really hadn't had any preparation. I don't expect Lindley to light it up Sunday but he does have a live NFL arm and can get the ball down field. As long as he doesn't make to many major mistakes they can win with him.

Lastly, this game is at Arizona where they have not lost this season and statistically they rank very very well defensively. This game is for the NFC west Championship and no.1 seed on the line so that city is going to be on fire come Sunday. I just think people are in the clouds a little here on the Seahawks and I don't see the hawks "crushing them" that's for sure. I don't see these cards as "pretenders" as they went 10-6 last year. I've seen everyone bet against them all season long and they keep taking everyone's $.

If the Cards can manufacture 16-17 points I think they have a great shot to win. As far as us winning or having a chance to win in Seattle it's just not time to entertain that scenario. Way too much football to be played.

We get to go play 2-12 Tampa Bay. Seahawks have to go into Zona against an 11-3 team and if they lose there is a good chance they don't make playoffs. What's so bad about our situation?

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like we are on an 8 game losing streak in Seattle.

As far as I'm concerned, we are 1-1 there in the last two years.

Yeah, we know they are good at home, but not unbeatable.

As far as a Buffalo 2.0, not a chance. We will not drop that many passes, not have as many poor routes, and Rodgers will not be that off. Jordy also will not drop a bomb and the likelihood of a punt return TD and blocked FG are low. That's a 14-17 point swing right there depending on if the FG would have been good.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give credit to Buffalo as they played good defense, but we also made tons of uncharacteristic mistakes.

Also, we all know the blueprint to beat Rodgers is to drop 7 and rush 4. Buffalo is the only game I've seen Rodgers play where that worked without QB pressure.

The pass protection vs. Buffalo was outstanding. Seattle, with a good DL, but not Buffalo quality, will have a hard time getting pressue with just four guys. Ninety percent of the time when Rodgers gets time to throw, he picks apart the defense. If he gets the same amount of time to throw vs Seattle, the offense should be fine.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We get to go play 2-12 Tampa Bay. Seahawks have to go into Zona against an 11-3 team and if they lose there is a good chance they don't make playoffs. What's so bad about our situation?

Were just so far away from talking about a re-match against Seattle and games that have to be played now and in the playoffs it just isn't time to discuss to deeply IMO. So many things could happen.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's not like we are on an 8 game losing streak in Seattle.

As far as I'm concerned, we are 1-1 there in the last two years.

Yeah, we know they are good at home, but not unbeatable.

As far as a Buffalo 2.0, not a chance. We will not drop that many passes, not have as many poor routes, and Rodgers will not be that off. Jordy also will not drop a bomb and the likelihood of a punt return TD and blocked FG are low. That's a 14-17 point swing right there depending on if the FG would have been good.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give credit to Buffalo as they played good defense, but we also made tons of uncharacteristic mistakes.

Also, we all know the blueprint to beat Rodgers is to drop 7 and rush 4. Buffalo is the only game I've seen Rodgers play where that worked without QB pressure.

The pass protection vs. Buffalo was outstanding. Seattle, with a good DL, but not Buffalo quality, will have a hard time getting pressue with just four guys. Ninety percent of the time when Rodgers gets time to throw, he picks apart the defense. If he gets the same amount of time to throw vs Seattle, the offense should be fine.

I will say this about it since you posted "It's not like we are on an 8 game losing streak in Seattle"

It's because of the Seattle hype show of them at home that everyone plays into and the Seahawks love it. That's what they want and until people stop buying into it they will use it as an advantage. There not even undefeated there this year. I've been to there stupid stadium and yes it is loud but I have been to a lot of other stadiums that very very loud as well and pose just as much of an advantage for the home team.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have a chance to win at Seattle but I would prefer to play them at Lambeau during the playoffs. For me, the loss at Buffalo once again revealed the Packers having trouble with defenses capable of dropping seven guys into coverage on the road and the Seahawks would for sure be able to give the Packers passing offense some trouble.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this loss is a throw away; a hot team due for an off game, and it happened.

It probably wasn't a bad game to lose. The more games you win in a row, the more the chance the law of averages tends to catch up to you. Ask New England about that. We just came off a 5 game winning streak, including a couple convincing wins against some pretty good teams. If we put another one together we're champs. Absolutely no reason to think we can't.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It probably wasn't a bad game to lose. The more games you win in a row, the more the chance the law of averages tends to catch up to you. Ask New England about that. We just came off a 5 game winning streak, including a couple convincing wins against some pretty good teams. If we put another one together we're champs. Absolutely no reason to think we can't.

I couldn't agree more and was going to bring that up as well. The probability factor of losing going with long win streaks. Right now for the Seahawks to get the no.1 seed and win the Super Bowl they would cap it all off with a 9 game win streak. We all know that is near impossible.

Once again I feel we are in a near perfect situation moving forward.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you in some sort of strange delusional world where Arizona isn't playing with their third string QB right now? On top of that they lost their top player in Ellington for the year, and their best player, Fitzgerald, is not 100% healthy. So you have a third string QB with absolutely no help around him outside of his defense, going into Seattle against arguably the best defense in football right now?
I'm sure that people said that about the Bills beating the high-octane offense of the Packers.

Arizona is the same type of team. Great defense. Mediocre offense. All it takes is a couple calls to go your way, a defensive or special teams score, and you are the winner. Learn from history. Don't ignore it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can absolutely win at Seattle. These teams aren't at different levels of talent. The Packers have a shut down defense but is inconsistent. Our offense is better than Seattle's. This thread was started with a doom-and-gloom tone.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Packers have a chance to win at Seattle but I would prefer to play them at Lambeau during the playoffs. For me, the loss at Buffalo once again revealed the Packers having trouble with defenses capable of dropping seven guys into coverage on the road and the Seahawks would for sure be able to give the Packers passing offense some trouble.

That would be my biggest concern too and although Buffalo did a good job on our outside guys we still should of won the game. If Rodgers doesn't have an all-time bad game and receivers catch balls they routinely catch we win and that's even giving up a special teams TD. I think the difference is our defense is playing better and when we get into it with one of these "ground and pound" teams that are built around there defense we can move Clay to inside to help slow it up.

Looking around the NFC and teams that could pose a threat with that style of defense I don't see us having to put up 30 plus points to win with the defense we have this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers can absolutely win at Seattle. These teams aren't at different levels of talent. The Packers have a shut down defense but is inconsistent. Our offense is better than Seattle's. This thread was started with a doom-and-gloom tone.

I´m sorry but the Packers don´t have a shut down defense. They are pretty good against bad QBs and mediocre rushing offenses but normally teams don´t face a lot of teams like that in the playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

That would be my biggest concern too and although Buffalo did a good job on our outside guys we still should of won the game. If Rodgers doesn't have an all-time bad game and receivers catch balls they routinely catch we win and that's even giving up a special teams TD. I think the difference is our defense is playing better and when we get into it with one of these "ground and pound" teams that are built around there defense we can move Clay to inside to help slow it up.

Looking around the NFC and teams that could pose a threat with that style of defense I don't see us having to put up 30 plus points to win with the defense we have this year.

We´ve scored 16, 7 and 13 points vs. top 5 defense this season. Aside of home wins vs. a Ponder-led Vikings team and a Bears team in complete disarray the defense hasn´t been able to hold an opponent to under 17 points.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We´ve scored 16, 7 and 13 points vs. top 5 defense this season. Aside of home wins vs. a Ponder-led Vikings team and a Bears team in complete disarray the defense hasn´t been able to hold an opponent to under 17 points.

I agreed it's concerning. If you watch those games there were some plays left on the field. We just gotta hope we make some of those plays moving forward.

Also, I will say two of those games were played very early in the season so it's not like they don't count but I would say the offense overall is at a different level now regardless of what happened in Buffalo.

All three games were on the road.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The absolute bottom line is just keep winning and get yourself in the playoffs. When our boys play their A game they can beat any team in this league and that includes Seattle at home. I honestly hope we get to meet them in their building. You know AR and Co. are well aware of the fact that most pundits and sadly a lot of fans on this board don't think we can win there. I say BS to that and bring em on and I am sure our boys would say the same thing. While there are a lot of guys that don't act so publicly you have to have a certain amount of confidence and even ego to become one of the best athletes in the world. What better way to stick your chest out and scream like Tarzan than go into Seattle and beat the team everyone says you can't beat to get to the big game? Let's get back on track this week and I have a sneaky suspicion that Mr. Janis may make his presence felt before this year ends. The ST unit needs a spark (not to mention my long requested removal of Slocum) and moving a few guys around and giving young Jeffrey a shot may be just what the doctor ordered...wild prediction but what the hell?!?!? Now let's go down to FL and kick some Buc **** and get ready to serve the Lions another Wisconsin home cooked meal in two weeks! Bring on them Hawks baby, bring em on!

G P G!!!

Members online

Latest posts