Long term effects of the Buffalo loss. GB @ Seattle?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you in some sort of strange delusional world where Arizona isn't playing with their third string QB right now? On top of that they lost their top player in Ellington for the year, and their best player, Fitzgerald, is not 100% healthy. So you have a third string QB with absolutely no help around him outside of his defense, going into Seattle against arguably the best defense in football right now?

I will happily re-visit this thread when Arizona yes, gets crushed in Seattle this weekend. Arizona might be lucky to score a field goal, and that will only come from a defensive surge. The Rams might put up a slightly better battle, but Seattle is still going to win both of these games. Bank on it.

Don't forget that the Cardinals are also missing their second best defensive lineman in Darnell Dockett.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure that people said that about the Bills beating the high-octane offense of the Packers.

Arizona is the same type of team. Great defense. Mediocre offense. All it takes is a couple calls to go your way, a defensive or special teams score, and you are the winner. Learn from history. Don't ignore it.

Historically speaking, teams starting a QB who hasn't started in 2 years and was signed to the team less than 30 days ago, are missing their second-best dlineman and are missing their best offensive player don't win games against one of the best teams in the NFL.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Long term effects? Well, I would hope it convinces Rodgers and MM to run the ball more often when you're averaging over 6 yards per carry.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Historically speaking, teams starting a QB who hasn't started in 2 years and was signed to the team less than 30 days ago, are missing their second-best dlineman and are missing their best offensive player don't win games against one of the best teams in the NFL.

You know what. I give the Cardinals and there fans a lot of credit as there not scared of the Seahawks and all there blah blah like a lot of Packer fans I have noticed. Arizona believes they can win this game and that's all that matters so well see what happens.

BTW: Per my earlier post Palmer threw 4 picks in the game that Arizona beat them at Seattle last year. There defense can keep them in this game and anything can happen. Both teams are banged up and Seahawks are minus Mebane if you want to get down to Dockett being out.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can absolutely win at Seattle. These teams aren't at different levels of talent. The Packers have a shut down defense but is inconsistent. Our offense is better than Seattle's. This thread was started with a doom-and-gloom tone.
Predictably so.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m sorry but the Packers don´t have a shut down defense. They are pretty good against bad QBs and mediocre rushing offenses but normally teams don´t face a lot of teams like that in the playoffs.
They sure as hell shut down Philly.

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it...

OH St beat UW w a 3rd string QB. Considering how ARI played in the last couple games... It's not a given that Seattle wins.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They sure as hell shut down Philly.
That's why I listed Philly, New England, and Atlanta since those are all top QBs with good offenses. We shut them down and a few others like the Bears, Panthers, etc. One shouldn't short sell this defense. They have the capability but just haven't been consistent.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost because McCarthy couldn't get Rodgers' **** out of his mouth for long enough to keep calling run plays. Lacy was SHREDDING Buffalo to the tune of 6.3 YPC and he had 54 yards on ONE DRIVE, 73 yards in the first ~17 minutes & 9 carries. He was able to pick up another 24 yards on 6 more carries, still 4 YPC. He had 15 carries in total, and Starks only had 4!

However, McCarthy kept going with the pass with TERRIBLE results. Not just from Rodgers, but the receiving corps as well. Rodgers was 17/49 for 187 yards and 2 INTs. At what does McCarthy (and by extension, Rodgers) decide "Hey, we can't pass today, lets keep giving the ball to Lacy he is getting it done." Also, Lacy was the only receiver to NOT drop a pass on Sunday.

I hope they have this figured out for the Buccs game.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He wasn't 3rd string but I can historically remember a guy named Matt Flynn going into New England and giving a patriots team that was beating everyone by 20-30 points at the time everything they could handle.

If this Lindley Cat had to go into Seattle to get acclimated I would see more reason for concern. The game is at home and he just has to play average to give his team a shot and Bruce "no risk it no biscuit" Arians is gonna let the kid "spin it". He wouldnt think of playing half the field with even with a 3rd string QB against the Seahawks. Respecting your opponent doesn't mean being scared of your opponent.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I listed Philly, New England, and Atlanta since those are all top QBs with good offenses. We shut them down and a few others like the Bears, Panthers, etc. One shouldn't short sell this defense. They have the capability but just haven't been consistent.

The Offense is the Defense end of Story.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is offensive?
Nope.....the Packers have to have the Offense moving the ball and controlling the game.

The Defense is Secondary at best.

If you look at the crappy teams sure they can control those games.

But against the better teams they give up too many points if the offense is not playing well.

In other words the Offense makes or breaks the packers period.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Seems to me that the only way the Pack get in is by winning the North. Seattle gets in via wildcard. The Pack would have homefield if the Pack and Seattle play. Still, I'd like a win Tampa first before I start the annual playoffs self-flaggelation. Just saying.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Seems to me that the only way the Pack get in is by winning the North. Seattle gets in via wildcard. The Pack would have homefield if the Pack and Seattle play. Still, I'd like a win Tampa first before I start the annual playoffs self-flaggelation. Just saying.

Seattle might be running out of gas and Carroll might of finally broken the pedal, well see. Only he would take a guy with an already torn labrum in his shoulder and try to throw him out there with a newly punctured lung.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...isses-seahawks-practice-with-hamstring-injury

Seattle is banged up badly.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the short-term effect of the loss at Buffalo is to throw some doubt on whether the Packers really are a SB contender. The do-or-die by AR coming out of MM is troubling two reasons. It means an unwillingness to adjust so that the other team knows what's coming, which then leads to forcing it. You have to make adjustments. That's what Peyton Manning did, that's what Brady and Belichick do all the time.

As a long-term effect I hope it means that MM and AR will take the step back and look at the flaws in this attitude and that it will bring a sense of urgency to this team leading into the final 2 games. A loss of either game could mean no playoffs for the Packers.

I fear however that AR and MM are justing going to rationalize this away with an "I had a bad game" excuse and they won't be ready to change anything. Rodgers could have been intercepted at least 1 more time. Unfortunately what I hear from MM is nothing but false shows of confidence. Or worse, overconfidence. It doesn't sit well with me at all. It's Stubby McStubborn deja-vu all over again.

TB's secondary is pretty woeful and the offense may feast on them, which has its own pitfalls, namely, that it will reinforce MM/AR's belief that the Buffalo game was just an anomaly. But a defense like Detroit, Seattle or Arizona? That's who the Packers are likely to see if they make the playoffs, and all of them are capable of doing exactly the same thing Buffalo did: rush 4, generate some pressure, and drop back 7 to take away the Packers' primary receivers.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what. I give the Cardinals and there fans a lot of credit as there not scared of the Seahawks and all there blah blah like a lot of Packer fans I have noticed. Arizona believes they can win this game and that's all that matters so well see what happens.

BTW: Per my earlier post Palmer threw 4 picks in the game that Arizona beat them at Seattle last year. There defense can keep them in this game and anything can happen. Both teams are banged up and Seahawks are minus Mebane if you want to get down to Dockett being out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Seattle is assured a victory. I'm just saying that if you told someone they had to bet their life savings on one team winning, any sane individual would bet on Seattle.

Also Dockett is WAY better than Mebane. Mebane is a very good run stuffer but Dockett stops the run and rushes the passer.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Seattle is assured a victory. I'm just saying that if you told someone they had to bet their life savings on one team winning, any sane individual would bet on Seattle.

Also Dockett is WAY better than Mebane. Mebane is a very good run stuffer but Dockett stops the run and rushes the passer.

I completely agree on everything you said regarding Dockett vs Mebane. I was just saying Seattle is banged up too right now and they have 3 o-lineman plus there blocking TE not practicing. Two of which are a long shot to play.

As far as betting to win If my hand was forced I would take the Seahawks to win but it's close. Unfortunately the Hawks are favored by 8 points so no way Jose. That is just too many points at home for an Arizona team that gets completely overlooked and has many quality wins.

Arizona plus 8 with Zona having a fair chance to win would be the bet for me. I believe that to be a very sane risk.

I will take 8 points all day long in what I consider to be a "coin flip" game. Seattle really hasn't blown anybody out this year and hasn't done that well covering overall. People forget they were an onside kick away from losing to the Raiders at home.

I don't know. Sometimes I think some people need to start coming out of the closet with there little neon green Russell Wilson jersey's.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

What about all the insane people that said the Cards were gonna lose out and miss the playoffs?

http://www.azcardinals.com/videos/v..._em_baby/f247f1b2-bc92-4bc3-bd62-83e9e82e90dc

Edit: hmmmm. Looks like they went out and beat two teams to clinch playoff spot that Seattle has lost to too me.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts