London - Zip for separation but Fabulous catching the football

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t ever remember watching a series of highlights on a WR where he got no separation. Drake London’s catches are acrobatic, with great body control and he hand catches the ball exceptionally well, not to mention he looks very nice getting extra yards with the ball in his hands. It just seems that so many of his catches seem to be contested. If you draft this guy, you had better have some speed opposite him, because he doesn’t seem to have any. However, he reminds me of Herman Moore, who I believe was like 4.65 coming out of Virginia and he made plays down the field, so who knows. I do think that London is better after the catch then Herman was, and I will say his pass catching ability is first rate. You could do a lot worse then being compared to Herman Moore - lol.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I struggle with London purely for his lack of separation….he high points and catches jump balls like Megatron did, but dangit I struggle to see it I think there is a route tree there that can succeed at the NFL level.

Reaction score
He’s so intriguing because he’s not flashy, but he finds ways of getting it done. The very thing that we can (and should) ding him on, he has turned into his calling card. Toughness and High pointing and securing the ball in traffic.

Rewatching some film, I had no idea how he came down with many catches. He had no business catching some of those jump balls while a defender had a near equal opportunity. Your not going to box him out using size, unless you’re a 220lb + DB

Also, just a casual observation, In complete games he played (7) prior to injury. Had he kept that pace he would’ve finished with 1,716 yards and was on pace to break the USC school record.

In a 17 game season, try 2,440 yds!

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could be a good NFL receiver. He would definitely help a Jordan Love, or any other inexperienced QB. He would have been great for Favre or any other gunslinger that throw into traffic. I do not think he is a good fit for Rodgers who does not like to throw contested passes if he can avoid it.

Reaction score
He could be a good NFL receiver. He would definitely help a Jordan Love, or any other inexperienced QB. He would have been great for Favre or any other gunslinger that throw into traffic. I do not think he is a good fit for Rodgers who does not like to throw contested passes if he can avoid it.
Yes. That’s a natural assumption.
The flip side is this. London would get adequate work learning how to utilize his footwork better and he has the IQ to own that and improve. Because he does need improvement there.

Secondly, Once #12 sees how athletically gifted Drake is at high-pointing and catching at the sideline and back shoulders? He’s going to utilize him.

Another points. Not all London’s work is the deep balls (20+) He’s above average on intermediate routes
(10-15) at getting separation.

He’s also very dangerous on the long throws 25+ because he out muscles his opponents as the ball arrives with his body, understanding the ball trajectory and finishing with sticky hands.

London didn’t pace 1700 yards in college being lucky at jump balls. His foot placement at the sideline, his lateral juke after the catch? It’s all NFL ready to make splash plays. He’s a 750 yard guy on a bad year imo. With the trust of Rodgers and minor refinement? He’s eventually a 1100+ Wideout with #12 slinging it

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers throws contested ball, usually very well. He throws into tight windows all the time, with guys who've shown they're up for it. I know why he doesn't throw them to Deguara, or EQ, or Malik etc, because they go off their hands fairly often and when contested, they tend to get tipped up and picked. Even a guy like MVS he started putting them in tighter places as he showed better hands and working towards it. I have zero doubt that if you give him a guy that shows the ball in the air is his and goes after and gets them time after time, he'll be slinging there.

Reaction score
Rodgers throws contested ball, usually very well. He throws into tight windows all the time, with guys who've shown they're up for it. I know why he doesn't throw them to Deguara, or EQ, or Malik etc, because they go off their hands fairly often and when contested, they tend to get tipped up and picked. Even a guy like MVS he started putting them in tighter places as he showed better hands and working towards it. I have zero doubt that if you give him a guy that shows the ball in the air is his and goes after and gets them time after time, he'll be slinging there.
For sure.

Once London understands where that ball is supposed to be? He’s like a rebounder, he’s going to get the angle on it and his recognition of finding it is superb. 95% of the DB’s challenging him that’s behind a 1/4 step are toast. He’s like Dennis Rodman out there, playing the angles.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Silly me, I mean I thought the Dbs in the pros were, well ya know, better than the ones in college.

Reaction score
Silly me, I mean I thought the Dbs in the pros were, well ya know, better than the ones in college.
Um. Why do you think they mostly get D’s and B’s? Gosh Wally, What’s that like a 2.0 GPA?
They’re obviously not very smart!

You just stay close to us Schultz.. We’re on the A team :coffee:

OP
OP
Big L

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know who my number one WR is - if he checks out medically

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts