Lombardi and JFK

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess everyone has heard the story of how Lombardi had JFK's personal phone number and called him to get some key players out of military duty for a few days to play in key games. What I would like to know is how Lombardi and JFK came together. Anyone know ?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think he got his number from August Reimer. ;)

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackie met Saint Vince while he was campaigning in Wisconsin during the 1960 election. Although it didnt carry much weight with the public at the time Saint Vince endorsed JFK and the two became good friends, doubtless that that friendship brought the good lord's favor to Kennedy's electoral prospects.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Seriously, here’s the first result of a google search “JFK Lombardi”: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...en-john-f-kennedy-vince-lombardi-were-friends
As the story goes, Lombardi met John F. Kennedy whe he was campaigning in Wisconsin for the 1960 presidential election. Lombardi endorsed Kennedy, and Kennedy gave Lombardi his personal phone number. That's who Lombardi dialed up when the Packers were set to play the Giants for the 1961 NFL title to see if the president could pull some strings to make sure Hornung would be on leave and available for Green Bay.
If you are interested in the history of the Lombardi Packers, I suggest you read, “When Pride Still Mattered” by David Maraniss.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked it too. There is lots of info in it that one wouldn't normally know about Lombardi.

Yes, Anyone who calls themselves a Packer fan should have read the trilogy, imo.

When Pride Still Mattered
That First Season
Instant Replay

in that order ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Yes, Anyone who calls themselves a Packer fan should have read the trilogy, imo.

When Pride Still Mattered
That First Season
Instant Replay

in that order ;)

Oooh, I haven't read "That First Season". My bad. Got to look it up.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
But I have read; "Bart Starr; America's Quarterback and the Rise of the National Football League."

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The story for years has been that Nixon was considering Lombardi for his vice presidential running mate in 1968; until he found out the Coach was a Kennedy Democrat.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts