Lombardi, Ahman Green, and perception of acceptance of **** in NFL

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article touched on it and I've read books that said so as well, but Lombardi never thought that he would get his fair shake at being a head coach because of his Italian heritage. He experienced discrimination on that end which fueled his desire to not discriminate himself. This certainly is something that's been well publicized in his recruitment of and treatment of black players and appears to have also extended to any type of discrimination, gay or otherwise.

The PC crowd preaches "tolerance" but only when it fit's their own definition of what is "tolerable." In this case, they want you to tolerate the homosexual, but not those who see homosexuality as sinful. My position is to tolerate both.
GreenBlood - I applaud your job of playing the devil's advocate, but I'm not sure who you're preaching at in the specific quote above. Several times you talked about acceptance "not going the other way" towards folks with religious convictions. I fail to see where that's occurred on this site. Maybe you're just talking about in general although I fail to see how that's relevant to this group. Further, I'd argue that I don't see a lack of reverse tolerance. Most folks tolerate lots of people and their views, until those people attempt to press their views in a manner that affects the rest of us.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
GreenBlood - I applaud your job of playing the devil's advocate, but I'm not sure who you're preaching at in the specific quote above. Several times you talked about acceptance "not going the other way" towards folks with religious convictions. I fail to see where that's occurred on this site. Maybe you're just talking about in general although I fail to see how that's relevant to this group.

Yes, I was speaking in generality, but as far as relevance to this group, I would say this entire topic isn't relevant and should have been posted/moved to the Atrium.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Long philosophical discussions which boil down to how to be perfectly disinterested in what others do unless human life or property is at risk. You can't possibly love everybody, or even like them, as both require data and an a priori reason for establishing a relationship. If you have no reason, you then should be disinterested until some interest puts in a position to value judge. It's the foundation of tolerance and avoiding the impulse to dictate behaviors to others if they are acting peacefully (i.e. are not presenting a clear and present danger to another or their property). Once people learn this basic principal, we can make headway against the corrosive Welfare/Warfare two headed monster we have created that is bankrupting us financially and culturally.

As for Lombardi's hatred of bigotry, it's not too hard to understand as he was Italian. It is not so long ago that Italians suffered from discrimination as bald faced and open as what blacks faced. Lombardi was passed over for a position prior to the Packers when a member of the selection committee said there would be no way a coach he'd hire would have a last name that ended with a vowel. This is also in Maraniss' book. Lombardi felt discrimination first hand and so it didn't have to be some theoretical philosophical position for him.

Members online

Latest posts