1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

LoL

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by NorthWestCheeseHead, Mar 30, 2013.

1. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
  2. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    Well that's sad.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +364
    I've gone back to my roots and started playing the Star Wars Galaxies EMU, it's a recreation (for the most part) of the PRE-CU version of SWG (for those familiar with the original), and frankly has the best crafting system in all of MMO's. Player-based economy, (if you need anything you buy it from another player, nothing from vendors), etc.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/content.php

• Like Like x 1
  4. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    Right on. I don't really like MMO's at this point. WoW really burnt me out on them. LoL is a bit different in that it is more of an RTS game in mechanics. And it is very much less time intensive.

5. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,042
    For us old-timers on here, can you translate his into Wisconsinese?:giggle:

• Like Like x 1
  6. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    Hahahaha, no problem. Hope this helps:

Right on. I don't really like Massively Multiplayer Online role playing games (MMO's) at this point. World of Warcraft (WoW) really burnt me out on them. League of Legends (LoL) is a bit different in that it is more of an Real Time Strategy (RTS) game in mechanics (gameplay). And it is very much less time intensive (No grind for gear or other such nonsense).

7. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    The grind for gear is WoW's biggest weakness, because that's ALL you do. Once you hit 90 you're hit with mind numbing reputation grinds, doing the same daily quests until you're ready to scream. Then you finally get to unlock some epics and hope against hope you're found worthy enough to participate in a raid with a guild who's DPS/HEAL/TANK bailed on them at the last minute under pressure from his parents.

The best deal though is at the end of the run when they refuse to let you roll for the epic item since you're not a regular.

And what happens when you finally hit level max in all your gear slots? You either keep grinding for no reason or start over on another toon and do the whole thing over again.

Rapture...

8. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    I don't think it is fair to fault the quality of the game on the community. The grind has always been part of the game from the very beginning: level, gear, reputation - it is a very Asian influenced game in that respect. I loved the original game pre-expansions, and the grind was a lot harder then as well. More the issue for me is that I played the game off and on for about 6 years so it just generally got monotonous for me. The WoW environment now seems to be a very shallow and sterile world which doesn't help to foster player immersion. Lack of diversity of end game content takes it's toll too I agree.

9. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    You're right of course.

The community and the quality of the game are separate, the flaw in the game is combat and/or the gear chase is the ONLY real draw. Crafting is childishly easy and there is no real value to anything one crafts once you reach end game. Dungeon/Raid gear is always superior to crafted gear, which gives little motivation to level crafting.

I started playing around 2006, started on Ursin (PvP server) and migrated to Lightbringer b/c that's where a friend was, and b/c it was PvE which I preferred much more. In the end though, the gear grind lost it's appeal and I reached a spectacular case of burnout. That's why I went back to the Galaxies game. Sandbox experience, combat, crafting as a profession, (several, actually), and, of course, it's Star Wars.

• Like Like x 1
  10. metallicblaze

metallicblaze Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    Played LoL a couple times, but didn't really get into it. Really into Ni No Kuni right now though. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ni_no_Kuni ?
    That makes me really sad that I have neither a DS or PS3. Looks like a game I'd probably really enjoy.

Now I wanna play the original .//hack games. Time to go find a ps2 emulator and ROM's

12. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    Hahaha; right on, I actually played on Lightbringer myself for a few months on the AF side. Most of the time I was on either Illidan or Haomarush (both PvP Horde) though. For the most part I was in some fairly decent raiding guilds, so I got to see the other side of that pug bit. Generally if people knocked our socks off in the run we'd extend them an offer to join the guild and get set up with one of our raiding groups.

Some of the raid drop patterns at times are BiS or required for a specific raid boss encounter so that brings some value to certain skills and specific recipes. Also for the min/max'ers the crafting skill bonuses that you got when you maxed it out was the main value for both PvP and PvE. Predominantly though gear wise; yes, raid drops are better.

I've always liked what I've heard about regarding SWG. Didn't figure there were servers still up since Sony shut down the servers a couple years ago.

13. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    I play this MMO called Dino Storm once in a while. Lol it's so dorky I'm not sure it applies here but just felt like throwing my two cents in. :)

14. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    I switched to JC from alchemist for the gem bonuses on my mage. I was pathetically addicted to my guild back in the day. Was hungry to get the "Classic" guild achievements so would do a race change on some of my toons (I had 10 level 85s)so we could qualify for each. We were working on our raid team when things got insane.

A few months later the "vets" all announced they were leaving for another server. They were going to disband the guild because nobody wanted to step up so I grudgingly volunteered for GM. Suddenly I was the cruise director, arranging for the entertainment. Worked on getting a raid team but couldn't get the kids to study the dungeons and we never got off the ground.

Finally reached burnout and haven't played in a while.

SWG is dead, LucasArts made them close up shop when the Bioware Star Wars game was released. SWTOR, meanwhile, has entered MMO death by going free to play.

SWGEMU is a fan-based tribute to the original game. They're basically re-creating the original game by reverse engineering the game.

I think I've heard about similar projects with WoW where fans are trying to recreate the base game without the expansions but am not sure.

• Like Like x 1