Little tidbit about Marshawn Lynch's ability.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was Aaron Rodgers commenting on Lynch's running style/ability
That's from his Freshman year. Think how much better he is now.
Would be a great fit for GB..

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...PGB89UAOF1.DTL&hw=Aaron+Rodgers&sn=090&sc=115

When Cal freshman tailback Marshawn Lynch is carrying the ball, quarterback Aaron Rodgers often has one of the best views in the stadium.

"He never goes down," Rodgers said. "Sometimes you want him to go down so he doesn't fumble. But he never goes down on the first hit. One guy can't tackle him."

Rodgers recalled an early run in the win at Air Force when Lynch broke five tackles. There have been many others. In one otherwise forgettable short- gainer in Cal's win at Arizona, he was hit by two defenders, one at chest level and another wrapping his legs. More players piled on. The play was whistled dead with Lynch in the grasp of five tacklers but still on his feet.

Recently Lynch visited his 87-year-0ld great-grandfather in Oakland. "Stay in school," D.C. Lynch told the youngster. Then the patriarch offered another bit of advice. "It's OK to go down."

Marshawn Lynch is powerless, a prisoner of instinct. "I don't think about it," he said. "It just happens. I'm running to stay up."

Lynch is patiently waiting his turn, backing up J.J. Arrington.

"Whatever they tell me to do, that's what I do," he said.

Coach Jeff Tedford, with a straight face, refers to the pair as "a good one, two punch."

It's easy to make a case for Arrington being the best running back in the nation. He is climbing in the record books, approaching the single-season accomplishments of legends such as Cal's Chuck Muncie and USC's Marcus Allen. He is averaging 6.9 yards a carry, best average among the NCAA's top 40 rushers. He is averaging 157.2 yards a game, No. 1 in the Pac-10.

It's also easy to make a case for Lynch being better. He is averaging 8.5 yards a carry in his part-time role. In last Saturday's 42-12 win at Washington he touched the ball 13 times -- running for touchdowns of 70 and 32 yards and catching a 29-yard scoring pass. He finished with 121 rushing yards, another 51 yards on two kickoff returns and threw a 14-yard pass.

"That's a good problem to have," Tedford said, finally breaking into a smile.

Lynch plays with a pure power that belies his 5-foot-11, 200-pound frame.

"Marshawn is bigger, stronger, faster than most of the guys he goes up against," Rodgers said.

As No. 4 Cal (8-1, 6-1 Pac-10) prepares to face Stanford (4-6, 2-5) Saturday, Lynch is blissfully beyond the Big Game hype.

He never followed the game when he was growing up in Oakland. He attended his first Big Game last year as a recruit from Oakland Tech.

"I pay attention to it now," he said. "I'm playing in it."

To Lynch, football isn't about pomp and pageantry, rivals and revelry. He has a narrowly defined view of the game. After his first Pop Warner championship game, a loss, his mother saw the 11-year-old smiling, basking in the joy of having played. A bit later he came over to her with tears welling in his eyes.

"I asked him why he was crying," Delisa Lynch said. "He said, 'because everyone else is crying.' "

Then Delisa, who says she'd known since birth that Marshawn had a gift, was taken by a mother's intuition.

"I said, 'Marshawn, you're going to have a whole lot of football ahead of you. You will win some, you will lose some. But always have fun.' "

Tedford has marveled at Lynch's ready smile and easy-going nature.

"I don't think he realizes what he's doing or where he's at, which is a good thing," Tedford said earlier this season. "He doesn't see any pressure."

Lynch said, "That's what I'm about. It's fun out there -- the atmosphere, being around the guys, playing the best people in the nation."

His mother won't let him forget that come Saturday.

"He looks for me before every game. 'Where's Mama? Where's Mama?' " she said. "I always say the same thing. 'Have fun, Marshawn.' "
The Lynch file

Class: Freshman

Birth date: April 22, 1986

Height: 5-foot-11

Weight: 200

High School: Oakland Tech

Family ties: Cousin to Cal receiver Robert Jordan (Hayward High) and former Cal recruit Virdell Larkins* (Oakland Tech)

Cal highlights: Scored three TDs and completed a pass to Jordan against Washington, rushing for 121 yards on nine carries ... Averaging 8.5 yards a carry ... Averaging 29.7 yards on kick returns.

*Expected to enroll in Cal next semester

This article appeared on page D - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Marshawn is bigger, stronger, faster than most of the guys he goes up against," Rodgers said.

how often will this happen in the NFL?

thats one thing that worries me. Look at reggie bush. Nobody could catch his *** in college, but when you get to the NFL, everybody is fast,disciplined(except the vikings), and strong.

I dont know much about the kid, but if we get him, i just hope it works out.

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People still have trouble catching Reggie Bush in the NFL.

Marshawn has speed and power and that will translate well
in the NFL.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People still have trouble catching Reggie Bush in the NFL.

Marshawn has speed and power and that will translate well
in the NFL.

I agree. He doesn't give you that big play factor like Reggie Bush does but he gives you consistency and is still able to break the long run. He's a good fit for the zone blocking scheme and he catches the ball out of the backfield. Right now Lynch seems like the most ideal pick for the Packers, much like AJ Hawk was last year.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, to my knowledge Lynch never had any school or legal troubles, and was always thought of as a team player. If we have any big Cal fans here they can add more/correct me.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marshawn may be a good player I'm not going to say he isn't...but I don't care what Aaron Rodgers has to say about him to be honest. That's like asking Santonio Holmes about Ted Ginn or Matt Lienart about Dwayne Jarrett.

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marshawn may be a good player I'm not going to say he isn't...but I don't care what Aaron Rodgers has to say about him to be honest. That's like asking Santonio Holmes about Ted Ginn or Matt Lienart about Dwayne Jarrett.

The analogy doesn't work.

A QB who's played w/the runningback would have
better perspective on the runner than we would.

Matt Lienart to Wayne Jarrett is exaggerating and not accurate.

Lynch's been a model player for Tedford, and Tedford doesn't allow
troubled guys on his team.

Lynch is powerful, fast, and will be an upgrade to A.Green.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that he'd be the one most likely to be available for our drafting position......But Id take adrian peterson over lynch any day of the week...However, Lynch would be a great pick given our Drafting position if he is still available....

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

Actually it does work and I never said anything about his character. Let's ask BF how great AG is? My whole point is what is AR going to say? Something bad about him? I have no doubt that ML is a very good player, but I'm not taking the word of a former teammate is all I'm saying.

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
Cory said:

Actually it does work and I never said anything about his character. Let's ask BF how great AG is? My whole point is what is AR going to say? Something bad about him? I have no doubt that ML is a very good player, but I'm not taking the word of a former teammate is all I'm saying.

As you know, BF will call out a player if he didn't like how he played.
AR is the same way. He called out many a player in Cal and when he does start, he'll do the same in GB. IF they didn't really like the player, the wouldn't comment at all.

I don't agree that their comments are forced just to tow the company line.
IF they don't like them, they won't say anything at all.
This posting was him going out of his way to compliment ML.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
Cory said:

AR is the same way. He called out many a player in Cal and when he does start, he'll do the same in GB. IF they didn't really like the player, the wouldn't comment at all.

I'm talking strictly talent. Not character,or work ethic or anything of that nature. I'm sure ML is a good guy with a great ethich and yes he's talented. But again ask BF what he thinks of AG talent wise. I see players tow the company line constantly no matter the player. He very well mean what he says about ML, but I'd rather have it from a source a little less bias.

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
Cory said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
Cory said:

I'm talking strictly talent. Not character,or work ethic or anything of that nature. I'm sure ML is a good guy with a great ethich and yes he's talented. But again ask BF what he thinks of AG talent wise. I see players tow the company line constantly no matter the player. He very well mean what he says about ML, but I'd rather have it from a source a little less bias.

Unbiased opinions...

Well all the NFL scouts say Lynch is the 2nd best back in the draft behind Peterson and is less injury prone than Peterson. they all conclude he's got great speed/power and will translate well into the NFL.

W/our zone blocking scheme..it's a natural fit.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Unbiased opinions...

Well all the NFL scouts say Lynch is the 2nd best back in the draft behind Peterson and is less injury prone than Peterson. they all conclude he's got great speed/power and will translate well into the NFL.

unbiased opinion will not come from a RB's QB. lol

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
Unbiased opinions...

unbiased opinion will not come from a RB's QB. lol

Exactly. That's why I mentioned the NFL scouts opinons..
not just AR's

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
Cory said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
Cory said:

Unbiased opinions...

Ok I'll say this ONE MORE TIME. I'm not questioning his talent/character etc etc etc. I'm saying I'm not taking AR's opinion. The thread was about what AR had to say about ML. That's what I responding to...not wether he had talent or not.

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok I'll say this ONE MORE TIME. I'm not questioning his talent/character etc etc etc. I'm saying I'm not taking AR's opinion. The thread was about what AR had to say about ML. That's what I responding to...not wether he had talent or not.

I'll say this ONE MORE TIME TOO.
SINCE you didn't like AR's opinion, I was offering those of the NFL scouts.
So even if you think AR's doesn't really have weight..because his opinion MATCHED those of the scouts, then my point was ...there COULD be some merit to what AR thought of ML and it can't be totally dismissed as you are saying. I know you thought ML had talent..but I also believe AR had some insight and credibility to evaluate ML's talent.

That's all.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

So even if you think AR's doesn't really have weight..because his opinion MATCHED those of the scouts, then my point was ...there COULD be some merit to what AR thought of ML and it can't be totally dismissed as you are saying. I know you thought ML had talent..but I also believe AR had some insight and credibility to evaluate ML's talent.

That's all.

It's not that I don't like what AR had to say. All Ive never said is I'm not taking his opinion on this particular subject. I'm not even saying he's wrong(clearly Im not saying that since I agree he has talent), but let me ask you a question....if you are evaluating a RB or any other player...do you take a teammates word for it or do you look at what your scouts are telling you? Before you say it I know I know the scouts and AR are saying similar things about ML. However, my point is I would listen to the scouts about ML regardless of what AR thinks...

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
Cory said:

That's all.

It's not that I don't like what AR had to say. All Ive never said is I'm not taking his opinion on this particular subject. I'm not even saying he's wrong(clearly Im not saying that since I agree he has talent), but let me ask you a question....if you are evaluating a RB or any other player...do you take a teammates word for it or do you look at what your scouts are telling you? Before you say it I know I know the scouts and AR are saying similar things about ML. However, my point is I would listen to the scouts about ML regardless of what AR thinks...

Agreed. What you're saying is a given. That's why I brought up this posting in the first place. The Scouts opinions are all that matters.
I was saying in ADDITION to that...take a look at this..

that's all it was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts