Little known Bart Starr trivia...

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes you think you know almost everything and then you read something and go..."Really?"

When Bart Starr was drafted in the 17th round of the 1956 draft out of Alabama he came to the Packers not as a quarterback prospect...no?

No...believe it or not...This rookie at 6'1' and 190 lbs,the future Hall of Fame quarterback and the field general of Lombardi's Packers was assigned #42 and was drafted as a corner back.

...and now you know...the rest of the story.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I am going to have to figure out a way to work this nice little piece of trivia into casual conversation with my father, who been bleeding green and gold for over 80 years. Just might catch him with something new (or at least long forgotten).

Thanks, OldSchool.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am going to have to figure out a way to work this nice little piece of trivia into casual conversation with my father, who been bleeding green and gold for over 80 years. Just might catch him with something new (or at least long forgotten).

Thanks, OldSchool.

You might fool your Dad by just asking "what is Bart Starr's real name?"

Answer: His legal name is Bryan Bartlett Starr. Heck, I lived 50 yards from him, in the 1960"s but I didn't know his name was Bryan until I was researching names for my sons. My son was born 11/16/1982, the anniversary of the first Packer game I saw 11/16/1958. Named him Ryan. And no, Bart did not play in that game.

L

Lunchboxer

You might fool your Dad by just asking "what is Bart Starr's real name?"

Answer: His legal name is Bryan Bartlett Starr. Heck, I lived 50 yards from him, in the 1960"s but I didn't know his name was Bryan until I was researching names for my sons.

Dang. I did not know that.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Oh, man, with this good stuff, my dad's going to owe me a beer or two.

Thanks!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn this is great.

i had no idea. I knew where he was drafted, I know about his feats, about how he was the OC, etc...

But had no idea he was drafted as a CB and was named Bryan Bartlett. Thank you guys.

The only other guy I remember is Willie Wood's coach sending a personal letter to Lombardi, and Adderley was a RB at Michigan State...

Members online