1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Little help here...

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by eap33, Mar 19, 2008.

1. eap33

eap33 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ever choose a topic for a research paper that you really want to write... but only have 5 weeks to write it..... and have no idea where to start or how to organize your thoughts? Yeah.... well.... I did... and I do... and I don't. I'm debating changing my topic, but then again, the professor really seemed to like my topic and noted its possible difficulty... so I'm worried that if I change my topic, that I'll lose some respect points from the professor, ya know?

Help me out! This is my topic... Keep it or dump it?

"Going Overboard With Overly Negative Facts and/or Scenarios Causes People to Rise Up Against That Negative Image of a Topic and Support the Topic as a Whole: Scare Tactics vs. Education, Reasoning and Free Will"

The papers main focus (at least in my head) is on the publicity of the negative effects of steroid use. Now, before you tear my head off with anti-roid comments, I'm VERY against the use of steroids. My thought process is this, however: by over promoting the negative effects of steroids use and showing what happens when the muscle bound jackasses pump gallons of the stuff into their bodies, they're trying to scare people away from its use, but what they're really doing (in my eyes), is causing people who use steroids in moderation to stand up and say "Hey, this doesn't always happen." and prove half of what's being said wrong, causing people to second-guess whether or not steroid use is actually all that bad.

If you actually sat and read all of that, I REALLY appreciate it, first of all. I would be ever more appreciative if you could give me some feedback.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

2. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll comment...

1) How many pages does the paper need to be?

2) Reword your topic, something along the lines of "Do overly negative representations of a situation and/or an issue tend to be counter productive in terms of stopping individuals from participating in that situation/issue?"
    Rework that until it fits into something you think you'd like doing.

- By rewording this, you broaden the possible examples you can use. To be honest, talking solely about steroids on a paper that doesn't seem to be for a bio/health course isn't going to cut it.

- Possible ideas as examples: steroids is one example, but also look into drug usage (negative characterizations of marijuana have been counter productive, they've pushed kids to try marijuana). Important thing to remember is don't limit yourself, see if the same holds up for perhaps certain prescription medicines, or individuals deciding to go out and buy guns.

3) Your perspective on the topic:

That's being a bit too simplistic, I think you're opinion is essentially restating something that happens in almost everything. You always have opposition to dominant narratives.

That's why I suggested broadening your topic a little, and looking at whether or not people are pushed into doing certain things simply because they are portrayed negatively.

4) Make sure you have a strong thesis, and a solid intro. Make sure in your intro that you outline your paper clearly. Have a VERY SPECIFIC thesis.

- Doing this not only makes your research paper look organized, but it lessens the burden on yourself. You'll be able to eat up a page with a good intro, so that's one less page of actual researching that you need to do.

Hope that helps somewhat.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think the reason it's pushed to be so negative is (and this is just my opinion) i don't believe anyone uses steroids "in moderation". Once they see the positive effect on their bodies muscle wise, it makes them lose their ability to make proper judgement calls, and they go WAY overboard.
    Look at guys like Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire,and Sammy Sosa. Compare their early career baseball cards what they look like, to later cards in their careers. Anyone that thinks these guys were not using roids is not being honest. Of course, the young people only see the results in their homerun numbers, not how it destroys their bodies. Then look at the wrestler Chris Benoit. (I think thats his name) The roids put him in an unstable state of mind, and he murdered his family and then killed himself.
    It seems that if people START using in moderation, the drug takes over their ability to think, and they go off the deep end and it ends up destroying them. John Matusek (again, i'm not sure if i spelled his name right) ended up dying from the roid use.
    I think you have chosen a good paper to write. I also believe trying to make anything positive out of steroid use will be very hard. I don't think they even KNOW just how bad long time use can effect a person. And what they DO know is reason enough to ban it.
    Again, these are just my own thoughts on it.
    Good luck on your paper eap33!

4. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Send me a message, I may be able to help you out.

5. eap33

eap33 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    AADP:

The paper needs to be 3,000-3,500 words (somewhere around 12-15 pages)

I really like your suggestion on rewording the topic. I was originally planning on making the topic broad, but then thought about it and wasn't sure I'd be able to maintain the overall topic if I was switching the focus between different mediums (ie: narcotics, steroids, perscriptions, alcohol, etc.). Looking at it now, I think it'd be more telling if I did include everything. So, I'm glad you gave me a different perspective on that.

Cheesy:

I completely agree. My aim isn't to put steroids (and/or other substances) in a positive light, but more to show that putting it an overly negative light causes an uprising and in some cases, actually ends up doing the opposite of what is intended and drives people to use, simply because the "facts" that are given are either proven wrong or proven to be an insignificant percentage of users.

PackOne:

I'll shoot you a message real quick.

Thanks for your input guys! It really is appreciated. You've definitely helped to put my mind at ease about this paper.

6. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I would discuss your position in general and use the specific cases to supoort your general thesis.

your theory can also be applied to politics, religion, etc.

7. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    i'd dump it. sounds like a paper in which you'd find as much evidence for your position as possible, then do a fair amount of synthesis working to your thesis conclusion. problem is, i don't think there's much literature out there. what you'd need for this topic is something along the lines of interviews and polls rather than literature on the subject. it's far too opinion-oriented at this point. you can amend the topic to focus on backlash in regards to over-pushing the desired outcome. one example would be kids who live with tyranical parents which causes rebelious kids. your focus could be towards a dialogical approach rather than a strong-handed approach, then applying this model to steroids.

8. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Hm.... that is a very interesting topic.

AADP, I mean Greg Jennings, might need to file that one in his memory to use for later research papers..... :twisted:

9. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Look into LEGAL medical uses of steroids. I've been on steroids several times by prescription. One was for a long, nagging ear infection that if it wasn't for the steroids and antibiotics, I could be deaf in one of my ears. Thanks steroids (and antibiotics).

The other was for a digestive problem that was caused by stress.

Now, when I mention steroids, people immediately think of some muscle-bound fool who's going to end up with cancer and all that crap. They don't think of the real, medical uses of steroids.

Hope this helps.

10. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    So thats why you have over 3000 posts! I demand an asterisk be put next to Zombie's post count!

11. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just a Defensive Coach.

Now, if I were a Hall of Famer, then you'd have a legitimate gripe. ;)

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    (Cheesey looks around..........)
    You talkin' to me?
    YOU TALKIN' TO MEEE?!?!?!?!?

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    LOLOL!!! GREAT post Midwest!!! :lol:

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Great post Zombie!
    Now that i read it, it made me realize i have been on steroids a few times also. I had forgot about it till you posted.
    Like any medication, it CAN be used for good. When i had them, it was for a VERY short time, under doctor's care.
    I think even marijuana can have good medicinal uses in certain cases.
    But like any drug, misuse runs rampant.

15. eap33

eap33 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, my sister was put on steroids by her doctor when she was really young to treat some kind of... something (?). But, those are corticosteroids. Different type of steroid and MUCH different effects on the body than anabolic steroids.

16. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    My opinion, keep it and challenge yourself.. I always found the wide brushing topics to be the most fun to write.. you can expand on it in so many different angles.

17. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent point.

But even anabolic steroids probably have medicinal uses. Let's say someone lost most of their muscle tissue from cancer or from some weird disease and needs help growing it back.

Or, for a glandular problem, some guy produces too low amounts of male chemicals. Or whatever. I'm not a doctor, but I'm sure there are medicinal uses for anabolic steroids.

18. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0

Yeah... I'm gonna say DON'T use that as an example in your research paper.

"Steroids are beneficial in certain cases. For example, my sister was put on steroids be her doctor to treat some kind of... something..." :lol:

19. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm probably too late but I did some research for you and in fact, anabolic steroids have some very important medical uses.

They help people with "wasting" diseases like cancer or AIDS and are very much legal in those uses, as long as administered by a doctor of course.

Also, for some males who have trouble reaching puberty, it helps induce puberty and are given. It's rare, but there are boys who have chemical imbalances where they simply don't reach puberty and anabolic steroids are often the solution in those cases.

Also, they are a therapeutic use to counter appetite loss and bone loss.

But alas, I'm probably a week too late. But if someone hammered you for doing this report, at least you can retort that you were right and that there were legitimate medical uses for anabolic steroids.

20. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    That's it! barry Bonds has had AIDS all these years and that is why he is using roids!! yeah!

21. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Nah....thats not it Trippster.
    His testicles never dropped, so he started the roids to take care of it!
    Yeah......THATS the ticket!

22. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

[​IMG]

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    the original thread died long ago.....we are just breathing new life into it!

24. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I think the media blows everything out of proportion and kills things without giving any defense of possible medicinal uses. Now, everyone in America is under the impression that anabolic steroids are the worst thing in the world, and I just wanted to counter mass hysteria with facts.

Yes, there are medical uses for anabolic steroids. But of course, anything to sell a story, right?