Lit a fire under brett?

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many of you guys think that maybe Aaron Rodgers' performance Saturday night will light a fire under Brett Favre. I mean it has been awhile before he has had worthwhile competition from a backup quarterback... a long while. Given Brett's attitude for the game and striving to stay on top and not miss game, it makes me think of an interview that i believe Andrea Kramer had with Brett. She asked him something to the effect of how and why he had started so many games in a row, with different injuries and all. Brett reflected back to when he received the chance to start over Don Majikowsky stating that that is what keeps him going, the fact that he doesnt want to lose his job due to an injury or a second stringer replacing him for an injury even temporarily. Now knowing that Aaron Rodgers might be an ok quarterback, I wonder if maybe we won't see a little improvement in Brett in the weeks to come.
I mean he doesnt have a lot to get excited about right now, his receving corps isnt what he hoped for beinghis potentially last season, he is getting old, the veterans from the super bowl days are gone, all the tradgedies that have unfolded for his family. I really think this might light a fire for him.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now knowing that Aaron Rodgers might be an ok quarterback, I wonder if maybe we won't see a little improvement in Brett in the weeks to come.

I don't think Brett will have a fire over an OK quarterback. If he feels threatened..that means he feels Aaron's good enough to unseat him.

What I DID notice during the Pittsburgh game was Aaron joking around and having a chemistry w/the offensive line and the receivers.

I saw Brett by himself and just w/Ingle Martin.

It's a passing of the torch. If you hold onto the torch passed your time..
then maybe it's time to have it yanked from you.

I really wonder why Brett even came back...

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:rotflmao: I don't think #4 has to have anybody light a fire under him. Brett comes ready to play no matter what. :beersign:

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:rotflmao: I don't think #4 has to have anybody light a fire under him. Brett comes ready to play no matter what. :beersign:

Alright..another cliched statement. You could replace the word Brett w/Hulk Hogan and these "Brett comes to play" statements sound like something from WWE. "Say your prayers and eat your vitamins, brother!"

All kidding aside..
.Brett shows up..yes..but will his game of old show up?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

Alright..another cliched statement. You could replace the word Brett w/Hulk Hogan and these "Brett comes to play" statements sound like something from WWE. "Say your prayers and eat your vitamins, brother!"

All kidding aside..
check out this article
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=647385

i think brett has the talent, but i think our GM has not given #4 the talent he needs around him to compete for a championship. Basically, coming into the '07 season, brett has a rookie RB, Rookie WR, 2nd year WR and DD. We have no red zone threat.
I love The Packers, BUT THIS MAYBE #4'S last season AS A PACKER. I wonder if another team would ever give #4 a shot at a championship?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
dhpackr said:

All kidding aside..
check out this article
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=647385

i think brett has the talent, but i think our GM has not given #4 the talent he needs around him to compete for a championship. Basically, coming into the '07 season, brett has a rookie RB, Rookie WR, 2nd year WR and DD. We have no red zone threat.
I love The Packers, BUT THIS MAYBE #4'S last season AS A PACKER. I wonder if another team would ever give #4 a shot at a championship?

Playing for another team would be dumbest thing Brett could ever do. He's a Packer through and through. All playing for another team would do would be to taint his reputation as Packer. I'd bet a lot of money that there will be a day that Darren Sharper will regret going to Minnesota. It was the dumbest move he ever made because no matter what his career here will always be tainted by the Purple. Brett is a wise man and he won't make that choice.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:
One good performance from A-Rod against a number 2 defense in a meaningless preseason game and you guys are ready to give Brett the boot? Wow, just wow

It actually had nothing to do with A-Rod's performance.

It had to do with Brett's non-performance.

One lousy outing against a vaunted **** Lebough defense?

A little worrisome..yes.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well then pull the alarm cord on the running game, safeties and TE... cuz one game is a sign for everything.... If these positions will settle down and figure themselves out, a veteran QB won't be able to gel with others?

I guess preseason work only applies to those without experience and game time :thumbsup:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put away the annointing oil, Cal2Greenbay.

It's way early to start using it on Rodgers.

He's riding the pines this year, and next.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what is ironic about all of this is that the Pittsburgh contingency walked away from this feeling they took a step BACK after a very strong performance against the Saints.

I've said this before but this was the Steelers second game and they SHOULD be a little further along and SHOULD be a little more ready and SHOULD be a little more cohesive out there.

So the story line goes that their #1 defense outplayed our #1 offense.

After one quarter of pre-season play we have Favre benched and TT and MM fired.

Congratulations, all you GREEN BAY PACKER FANS, you.

You know what would lite a fire under Brett's ***? The offensive line doing the matador on a live 11 on 11. Maybe he would get the hint that the 60+ guys out there busting their butts don't care how it used to be.

Reaction score
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:
One good performance from A-Rod against a number 2 defense in a meaningless preseason game and you guys are ready to give Brett the boot? Wow, just wow

I agree, it is just unfair to do that.

Brett still has it, he and the coaches (and TT) have said he can still make all the throws of years past.

One of the main reasons Rodgers looked so good is that he has had so many reps with Jones and Martin. He has had a chance to build the chemistry, and you saw that on the field.

Once Brett has built the same chemistry (which will take time, because Jennings is now being tried out at a different position in different sets) with Jennings, Jones, Lee, and Jackson, he'll be able to operate the O much better than Rodgers can.

Favre has pretty much seen it all, and you can't have any substitute for live action. Rodgers will need time to get that, Favre already has it.

Brett can still play for a couple of more seasons. I think he just might, because by the end of the year there will be greater chemistry between Jones/Jennings/Lee/Jackson and Brett which will serve as a great building block for consistent success.

As for Brett changing styles: Brett's gunslinging won't work because we don't have the type of players conductive to that style. I don't mind McCarthy wanting Brett to play the way a QB should play in this scheme.

When we lost J-Walk, we pretty much lost our biggest deep threat. You can't go out and just get fast WRs that will produce, you need to wait for them to develop. That was the case with J-walk.

We could push guys like Clowney and Bodiford out there, but the fact they are still raw would mean we experience little success.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
You know what would lite a fire under Brett's ***? The offensive line doing the matador on a live 11 on 11. Maybe he would get the hint that the 60+ guys out there busting their butts don't care how it used to be.

Maybe I missed something, but how is this Brett running down other players???? He is stating we don't have burners at WR, Jones is young yet and the Oline is strong. Not ripping anyone.

On the wide receivers: "We have guys that are real good route runners. We don't have guys that will knock your socks off just as far as running. We really don't throw the ball downfield a lot."

On James Jones: "He's done everything we would expect him to do. But if he's going to play for us he has to continue to get better. . . . A couple times maybe he kept running when he should have set it down but he got away with it. The next game he may not. If it's zone he's got to read it as zone. Up to this point I've been pleased with the type of player he is."

On the offensive line: "There's a great mix of personality and talent. I hope they don't get the second-year blues or whatever you want to call it and continue to get better. They've got two great coaches that are not that far removed from playing that they can relate to. It all starts with them. That's the one place in our offense that you can point to and say, 'That's where they should be better.' Barring injury, it can really be as good as any in the league."

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know that Brett will say good things about the players when asked but at times he makes statements like he did after the Pittsburgh game that we all saw and heard. I don't think I need to post the quotes.

No, he didn't just throw players under the bus but he will, at times, get up there and speak in a manner I don't hear from other leaders of teams.

First of all, he's chosen to come back and play. Secondly, he is the leader of this football team. So go play and lead and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if at times he would just shut up.

Oh yeah, and also, not sit on the sidelines with a scowl on his face. I wonder how he would like it if he came off the field after an interception and saw guys standing there with the look of disdain he often has standing over there.

Sometimes things don't go so great. I just would like to see him respond to it better at times.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put away the annointing oil, Cal2Greenbay.

It's way early to start using it on Rodgers.

He's riding the pines this year, and next.

You're reaching fuzznuts..Like I said earlier in the post..
It has nothing to do w/Aaron.

I can say I don't like how Brett's playing and has nothing to do w/Aaron.

Brett's not playing great...no matter who's behind him.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:

Thers are some on this forum who have been waiting for 3 years now and hoping beyond hope that Brett would give them something,anything to cling to, thinking he isn't the best option for The Packers at QB.

Well there you have it guys, Brett played bad in one pre-season game and dared to speak out about team chemistry.
So have at it boys throw the one guy who has carried The Packers on his back for 15 years under the bus and let it roll right over him.

2007 Packers with Brett favre at qb 9-7 maybe 11-5.
2007 Packers without brett favre 4-12 at best.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:

Thers are some on this forum who have been waiting for 3 years now and hoping beyond hope that Brett would give them something,anything to cling to, thinking he isn't the best option for The Packers at QB.

Well there you have it guys, Brett played bad in one pre-season game and dared to speak out about team chemistry.
So have at it boys throw the one guy who has carried The Packers on his back for 15 years under the bus and let it roll right over him.

2007 Packers with Brett favre at qb 9-7 maybe 11-5.
2007 Packers without brett favre 4-12 at best.

You're so right!

I just don't see how everyone can give up on the man after this? I mean, preseason usually always sucks! And if you watch his press conference from yesterday, you'll understand some reasons why he did so poorly. What the public doesn't realize is, what appears to us as just lousy play, offense going 3 and out, the team is testing and experimenting plays. As Brett said, since there is very little chemistry within the offense, they have to do try out different things with every player to find out who can do what and what works. What was terrible play to us was just practice for them.

Basically, everyone just needs to relax about Brett, its preseason, Super Bowl year we lost by like 30 points in one of our games, enough said

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not having any full contact during preseason practices had something to do with the performance of the team against Pittsburgh. Kind of hard to work on timing when you're playing two-handed touch and not going full-speed.

OP
OP
V

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasnt meaning anything in the sense of giving up on brett when i posted it or even that brett is in jeopardy of his job. I just think that now he knows there are options behind him so if he does a sloppy job he could be in jeopardy. I dont think it will come to that andi know brett shows up to play no matter what, but he is good and always has been good at making something from nothing, and i think this might rekindle that a little bit. We will see though, as stated before, it is only one meaningless preseason game, but it is really the bestwe have seen of aaron rodgers.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What? MEANINGLESS? ... MEANINGLESS? This was the indicator the Packers will go to the SUPER BOWL! They won their first pre-season game!!!!

GO PACK GO! YAY

Members online

Latest posts