Listen To Your Father.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Father arrested for forcing son to wear Packers jersey with tape

Jan. 16, 2008

CBSSports.com wire reports

PORTAGE, Wis. -- Upset that his 7-year-old son wouldn't wear a Green Bay Packers jersey during the team's playoff victory Saturday, a man restrained the boy for an hour with tape and taped the jersey onto him.

Mathew Kowald was cited for disorderly conduct in connection with the incident with his son at their home in Pardeeville, Lt. Wayne Smith of the Columbia County Sheriff's Department said. Pardeeville is about 30 miles north of Madison.

The 36-year-old Kowald was arrested Monday after his wife told authorities about the incident. Kowald was taken to the county jail and held until Wednesday, when he pleaded no contest, paid a fine of $186 and was released.

Kowald's wife filed a restraining order Wednesday, so Kowald will not be able to have contact with his family, Smith said. Smith said other domestic issues have surfaced, though he wouldn't elaborate.

The boy refused to wear the jersey Saturday, when the Packers beat the Seattle Seahawks in a playoff game, Smith said. Smith said the incident sounded strange when reported at first, but the mother took pictures with her cell phone and that type of evidence is difficult to dispute.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw this on USA today.

Why did this have to happen here? Why not in Minnesota when the kid would have been forced to wear a vikings jersey in the off season?

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is just a "Time Out" with duct tape. It is not like he beat the child.

If it goes to trial... The father best ask for a trial by jury.

I do not think the prosecution could get 12 people in Wisconsin who would convict him.

They could make a movie about the prejudice jury trial and call it "Wisconsin Burning."

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats crazy, I mean sure it was against the kids will but its just a jersey, its not a big deal.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the glory years of the 90's I was disappointed that my 13 year old daughter did not want to be a Packers fan. She wanted to be a Cowboys fan. :twisted:
Then I read story that Reggie White had to admit that HIS son (also 13) was a Cowboys fan as well. :shock:
You just gotta let kids be kids. There is no reason to tape a jersey on his son. That will never make the boy want to follow the Packers.

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 7-yr-old is a Colts fan. I have threatened to paint him green and yellow until he reaches enlightenment, but haven't made good on the threat. Yet;).

Tylaa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy is a moron that just assured that the kid will never be a Packer fan.

I think he's a good dad... Teaching the traditions of Wisconsin...

Bighitstick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the most absurd thing I ever heard. That mother had every right to file a restraining order on the dad. Is he insane???

Tylaa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the most absurd thing I ever heard. That mother had every right to file a restraining order on the dad. Is he insane???

I think this is one of those random dumb thing people do. Kind of like the guy they found on the side of a road ****** a dead deer...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
My brother is a Cowboys fan I'm ashamed to say. But, he is not all there mentally so it's kind of par for the course with Cowboy fans. At least my dad got one of us to be a Packer fan. I HATE buying cowboy crap for his birthday. Man that sucks so bad.........ugh.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My brother is a Cowboys fan I'm ashamed to say. But, he is not all there mentally so it's kind of par for the course with Cowboy fans. At least my dad got one of us to be a Packer fan. I HATE buying cowboy crap for his birthday. Man that sucks so bad.........ugh.
Hey........you have to have FUN with it!
When you go to buy your brother Cowboy stuff, do it while your dressed in your Packer stuff! What this will do is set yourself up for some FUN! Chances are, someone will question you WHY if you are a Packer fan, WHY are you buying Cowboy gear?
You can then respond:"It's for my brother.......he's in a mental institution". :wink: :lol:

Staff online

Latest posts