Lions WR Williams says Harris is best cornerback

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I still think Harris is too old to get a bigtime contract, he hasn't got more than perhaps 1 season left in him.

I think we have a few extra million under the cap currently and it should be thrown partially to Harris. We do need him, but not in a bank breaking way.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the way some packerfans fall in love with their player,

I also hate to break it to you, but I doubt Thompson will ever make Harris one of the top payed CBs, he's just too old, and guys, santa doesn't really exist..

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
I still think Harris is too old to get a bigtime contract, he hasn't got more than perhaps 1 season left in him.

I think we have a few extra million under the cap currently and it should be thrown partially to Harris. We do need him, but not in a bank breaking way.

I think it depends on the figure he wants. He's not worth the largest contract in the NFL for a CB but he certainly deserves a raise. Driver got one and Driver's deal didn't make him the largest paid WR in the NFL.

Harris deserves probably a good base salary and a nice bonus figure when he signs it. He won't get the big bucks though but he does deserve a new deal and GB does need to keep him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I hate the way some packerfans fall in love with their player,

I also hate to break it to you, but I doubt Thompson will ever make Harris one of the top payed CBs, he's just too old, and guys, santa doesn't really exist..

Not sure if that was directed at me or not.

To clear it up, in case it was. I'm not in love with Al Harris. I love Reese Whitherspoon, k thx.

I don't want Ted to make Harris a top paid CB for partially the same reason as you stated. His age. He has only 2-3 solid years left, in my opinion. If we use our left over cap space on him, I don't see how that hurts us.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess we didn't need Walker either Gakk....eh??

Just look at the state of the Packer's WR corps... :roll:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I didn't say you did...

But a "situation" is going to arise next year with Harris....and it will interesting to see how TT handles it...that's all.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say offer him a decent contract and see if he takes it, if not we've got the money to let him rot and end his NFL career.

I agree with this take. I think an attempt needs to be made to keep him. Harris will probably come cheaper than Asante Samuel or Nate Clements in free agency.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:

He's only the best corner on the team, so yeah. I would say we need him.

So if TT doesn't budge on Harris's contract at all Zero and Harris leaves or sits, would you say that's a good move?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
GakkofNorway said:

He's only the best corner on the team, so yeah. I would say we need him.

So if TT doesn't budge on Harris's contract at all Zero and Harris leaves or sits, would you say that's a good move?

What's a tittie to do or not to do that denotes a good more or lack of?

Notice the lack of common sense used in my response to YOUR lack of understanding the words I posted. Let's give the less educated a dose of understanding. If I state we have the cash and it should go towards Harris and we don't do that. What do you think my response to your question would be?
:whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin:

Wish the ignore feature worked. I feel more stupid each time I read something you post.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All im saying (for the hundredth time), is that I hope TT does the right thing and redresses Al's contract. He has a reputation for being cheap and a hard liner. If he does this, and addresses the need a WR and O-Line through vets in FA, I will gain alot more respect for him.

If he does nothing in these areas and Al sits or is traded, I will revert to my original opinion of him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
All im saying (for the hundredth time), is that I hope TT does the right thing and redresses Al's contract. He has a reputation for being cheap and a hard liner. If he does this, and addresses the need a WR and O-Line through vets in FA, I will gain alot more respect for him.

If he does nothing in these areas and Al sits or is traded, I will revert to my original opinion of him.

'alot more' implies there is some there. You have none. You call him 'tittie' repeatedly. Is 'ted' so hard to type?

Doing whats 'right' is a matter of your opinion. I don't think he's ever addressed Al's contract therefore it'd be his first time.

He did overpay for Woodson, had to though just to get him here.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all you guys who think we should break the bank for Al Harris who is already under contract. Would you still want to renegotiate his contract if it meant that we would miss out on being able to sign a (safety, linebacker, tight end, receiver, defensive lineman) who could put this team over the hump and turn us from a 6-10/7-9 team into a playoff team.

What if we pay Harris everything he wants and dont get another target for Favre and we still stink offensively next year. How nice would that be?

If there is a way to give him a little bit more money without messing up the cap then great, lets do it. But Harris is the one who signed the contract and im sure his agent/lawyer was there. Im sure he was very happy when he signed the contract originally. Now he's not happy. Too bad. He wont be all that great in 3 years anyway.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

for the hundreth time
Ted is not the one that gave Al that contract...Why is it Ted's fault Al signed a contract that he now unhappy with..

Cheap? I guess Kampman, Picett, Woodson, Henderson all can say the same thing?
BTW rumor has the Packers offered Adam V more then what Longwell got in Minny..And at the time Longwell was the richest kicker..Yup thats CHEAP..

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What does it matter who signed him....?

The problem at hand is that he has a disgruntled employee who happens to be the most talented CB on the team. Do you just refuse to budge and throw that away because you don't want to deal with it?

TT is the GM of the Packers. He is responsible for the state of the current team. Stop trying to write him a free pass by making excuses, and abdicate him of his responsibilities of performing as the GM of the Packers just because he has to deal with a situation in which the above player mentioned was signed by the former GM...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

The problem at hand is that he has a disgruntled employee who happens to be the most talented CB on the team. Do you just refuse to budge and throw that away because you don't want to deal with it?

TT is the GM of the Packers. He is responsible for the state of the current team. Stop trying to write him a free pass by making excuses, and abdicate him of his responsibilities of performing as the GM of the Packers just because he has to deal with a situation in which the above player mentioned was signed by the former GM...

Its true it doesn't matter who signed him, and with that said you can't say Ted is the one who'd screw it up as Harris is under contract. Not YOU specifically, I am saying it in a general tone.

I like it, I had to look up abdicate and I think you used it improperly lol
1. to renounce or relinquish a throne, right, power, claim, responsibility, or the like, esp. in a formal manner: The aging founder of the firm decided to abdicate.
2. to give up or renounce (authority, duties, an office, etc.), esp. in a voluntary, public, or formal manner:King Edward VIII of England abdicated the throne in 1936.

I don't think anyone is trying to give him a free pass and take his power away. That doesn't make sense. Surely I have the meaning completely wrong here because you would only post something that makes sense, logically of course.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

You are right, he probably is the most talented corner on our team. However, when you sign a long term contract like Harris did, you are gambling. He essentially gave up the potential huge mega contract for financial security. What if he didnt turn out to be all that good? Then we would be saying how he is a waste and how he is overpaid crap. It works both ways.

Just because he is playing better than Woodson the last couple of years doesent mean we have to break the bank for him. That logic is just ridiculous.

Should we give the fullback Miree a big long term extension richer than Hendo because he's playing better than William Henderson this year?

Should we re-do Greg Jennings contract because he was such an overachiever?

Should we give Driver a huge pay raise of around 7 million per year since he's outplaying alot of other top high paid receivers?

Should we pay David Martin more than Bubba Franks because he's playing better than him this year?

Lets redo Cullen Jenkins deal also since he's outplaying Pickett.

And what happens next year? Should we just keep doing this over and over, re-working contracts every year because somebody outperformed someone else?

They shouldnt sign 6 or 7 year contracts if they arent happy with the dollar amount.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

You are right, he probably is the most talented corner on our team. However, when you sign a long term contract like Harris did, you are gambling. He essentially gave up the potential huge mega contract for financial security. What if he didnt turn out to be all that good? Then we would be saying how he is a waste and how he is overpaid crap. It works both ways.

Just because he is playing better than Woodson the last couple of years doesent mean we have to break the bank for him. That logic is just ridiculous.

Should we give the fullback Miree a big long term extension richer than Hendo because he's playing better than William Henderson this year?

Should we give Driver a huge pay raise of around 7 million per year since he's outplaying alot of other top high paid receivers?

Should we pay David Martin more than Bubba Franks because he's playing better than him this year?

And what happens next year? Should we just keep doing this over and over, re-working contracts every year because somebody outperformed someone else?

They shouldnt sign 6 or 7 year contracts if they arent happy with the dollar amount.

I agree with some of this. :)

edit, jus to note what i enlarged an orangized, these players have agents whose job is to make sure they get the top dollar on their contracts BEFORE they sign them. I think some accountability needs to fall on the agents as well as the players.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
P@ck66 said:

I agree with some of this. :)

edit, jus to note what i enlarged an orangized, these players have agents whose job is to make sure they get the top dollar on their contracts BEFORE they sign them. I think some accountability needs to fall on the agents as well as the players.

Dam right. Take a look at the Packers overall salary list. A bunch of other guys have bigger gripes than Al Harris. Cant give everyone a raise. Be smarter when your negotiating your contract. If you want financial security, sign that long term deal, but dont complain when you start to play a little better than you previously were and demand more money. Both the team and player were gambling on future performances. i think 2.5 mill per year is pretty decent along with the bonus he got up front.

Jennings 585K per year
Barnett 650K per year not including bonus received upfront
Darren College 275K not including bonus received upfront
Popinga 350K
Cory williams 425k
Jenkins 430K

Theres more guys but not enough time. Now Al Harris Makes as much as all 6 of these guys combined. Now stop complaining and earn your paycheck.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK..

So you're the GM...

Do you let Harris walk or sit next year?

Or do you try to get something done, like they did with Driver?

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
OK..

So you're the GM...

Like i said, if its cost effective, give him a decent raise. But dont break the bank. Trust me, if we force his hand, he will play. He wont sit out for 3 years. If he sits out, he gets nothing and hes signed until 2009.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
OK..

So you're the GM...

Like i said, if its cost effective, give him a decent raise. But dont break the bank. Trust me, if we force his hand, he will play. He wont sit out for 3 years. If he sits out, he gets nothing and hes signed until 2009.

I would want to give him a raise, but not break the bank at all..or give him a new deal with same base but toss in some extra bonuses..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

No it doest really matter...

However he was not the one that made the orginal deal that Al is complaining about..

That is why I saw Ted cant screw it up...We just dont see eye to eye on the logistics of it..

We both agree he should get a raise..

We do disagree that I would not have any issues if TED does not redo his deal, where as if TED doesnt redo it, he is a screw up according to you...

Members online

Latest posts