Lions WR Williams says Harris is best cornerback

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay - They've only played against one another four times, but Green Bay Packers cornerback Al Harris and Detroit Lions receiver Roy Williams have a nice little rivalry going.

The two don't play nice when they're on the field, but when it comes to complimenting each other, they aren't shy about it. Especially Williams, who last year called Harris the best cornerback in the NFL and continues to consider him that.

"Everybody asks me who I think the best corner in the NFL is and Al Harris is the best corner in the NFL," Williams said on a conference call with state reporters. "I love to play against him twice a year and it's always a matchup. He's going to win plays, I'm going to win plays. We're just out there competing."

There are few cornerbacks who can handle the 6-3, 220-pound Williams physically. It's one of the reasons why he ranks third in the NFL in receptions and receiving yards with 69 catches for 1,116 yards and four touchdowns, despite playing for the 2-11 Lions.

On Sunday, the two will match up at Lambeau Field, nearly three months after their last meeting in Detroit.

In that game, Williams had a huge day, catching seven passes for 138 yards and a touchdown. However, unlike previous meetings when Harris shadowed Williams all over the field, the Packers only matched Harris on the young Lions receiver on third down.

Harris gave up completions of 14, 13 and 20 yards to Williams in that game. The big play, a 42-yard touchdown, came when linebacker A.J. Hawk and safety Nick Collins messed up the coverage and let Williams run open into the corner of the end zone.

Lately Harris has been playing very good football. He has given up just 1 ½ touchdown passes all season, none since allowing a 6-yarder to St. Louis receiver Torry Holt in Week 5. He leads the team in penalties, but much of that has to do with the way he plays cornerback.

Harris doesn't carry much weight at 6-1, 185 pounds, but he has long arms, tight muscles and very little body fat on his narrow frame. When he wants to be physical, he uses his strong hands to redirect receivers and disrupt their timing as they run routes.

At times, Williams has been too strong for Harris, but he always knows he's in for a battle.

"He's 8 feet, 12 inches," Williams said. "His arms are 36 feet long and he's so strong with those long arms. His arms drag on the floor and when he puts those arms on you, you're not going anywhere. It's really like a boxing match. You have to fight, using your hands. He's so skinny, yet so strong and that's what makes him so good."

Harris was disappointed that he didn't get to match up with Williams down after down in the previous meeting, a 31-24 victory at Ford Field. Fellow cornerback Charles Woodson is battling a sore shoulder that requires him to wear a harness and it might be in the Packers' best interest to let Harris handle Williams full-time on Sunday.

"He's matured a lot. You can tell he understands what's going on," Harris said. "My job is pretty much the same every week, so if it's Roy or whoever we're playing, I don't focus on what they're doing good. I just try to do what I do and take it like that."

Williams said no one else in the league other than Harris matches up with him down after down, and he has come to appreciate that fact.

"I vote for him for the Pro Bowl year in and year out," he said. "He's not the corner who is going to get you interceptions. By no means is he going to do that. He will shut down that No. 1 receiver, whoever he is matched up with. They may leave the game with two catches for 29 yards. That's just the type of player he is.

"He's my measuring stick for how good I can be against him because like I said, I think he's the best corner in this league."

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You here recievers saying this more and more. Big Al is physical and he puts it on you those first five yards. I love this guy and think that he deserves a raise after this season. I want to see him retire a Packer and he does too. We have two great corners and they compliment each other. I dont want to see that end.

Pablo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always thought Harris has played very well against the Lions. He does play Roy about as good as anyone.

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chad Johnson also said the same thing last year. Well second best, next to Champ Bailey but that is still a very high honour to be recognized by receivers that are as good as they are.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post Heather. I think it's about time Harris gets a Pro Bowl nod, don't you?

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
roughly als stats for the year (provided al played on them the whole game)

muhsin muhammad: 6 receptions 102 yards 0 tds
joe horn: 5 rec 88 yards 0 td
roy williams: 7 rec 138 yards 1 td
donte stallworth: 1 rec 26 yards
torry holt: 3 rec 40 yards 1 td
chris chambers: 2 rec 29 yards 0 td
anquan boldin: 4 rec 47 yards 0 td
lee evans: 2 rec 58 yards 1 td

dunno bout vikes lol they dont have anyone whos had more then 580yards recieving

reche caldwell: 3 rec 70 yards 1 td
darrel jackson: 2 rec 20 yards 1 td
laveranues coles: 3 rec 28 yards 0 td
antonio bryant: 1 rec 39 yards 0 td

overall i'd say hes had a very good year BUT it kinda sounds hollow coming from the guy who torched him for 7 receptions and 138 yards

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roy Williams is in his 3rd year. He's gone up against him more than once so I'm sure he's factoring in other games against him since just this past one.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Let's hope Ted doesn't screw this one up.

Keep Al...Teddy!!!

Do what's right!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Keep Al...Teddy!!!

Do what's right!
:rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes:
Such an educated post that is not meant to draw anyone into defending Ted or assume Ted is ******** up with previous transactions or lack of. :roll: :welcome: BACK :roll:

Back to the topic!

It's pretty cool when your peers are boasting you. I wonder how much of it is just saying it so the other guy doesn't have any bulletin board material. Meaning, I don't think I've heard someone say "well Harris is good, but the guy next week, wow he's the best" save of course Chad Johnson who said Bailey was better than Harris.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well Zero,

I remember many posters saying not to re-do Al Harris's contract or not to re-sign him because he's too old, and this validation from his peers is proof of Al's worth in the NFL...

Now we all know that TT has a reputation for being a bit of a tightwad and eschewing FA moves over the draft, so how is this post uneducated then?

It will be very interesting to see what TT does next year with Al Harris, Free Agency, and other players on the Packer's squad.....

And I also know that any mention of the GM of the Green Bay Packers as being anything less than perfection meets with scorn and ridicule on this forum by certain posters---and that to me is uneducated, or at very least, very closed minded....
:roll:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
And I also know that any mention of the GM of the Green Bay Packers as being anything less than perfection meets with scorn and ridicule on this forum by certain posters---and that to me is uneducated, or at very least, very closed minded....:roll:

To expect anyone to be perfect(or to expect a General Manager to build a team for contention in two years) is much worse than uneducated. It's ignorantly close minded. Hope for that? **** YES! We are fans, thats what we DO!

We know very little of what it takes to be a General Manager in the NFL. We do not know what our teams are doing behind the scenes. Do we have the right for an opinion? Hell yes! However, I feel those who post their comments as factual information or claim them to be such should take the assrag out of their ears and listen to the world around them instead of assuming they know the ins an outs of running/managaing/building a team.

It's Ted, not TT. He's not a tittie. He's too big to be a tittie. Well, to be a natural tittie.

On an unrelated note:
Nothing worse than being a lazy inconsiderate poster, man, I tell ya.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's not the point Zero..and you should know it.

The point is regarding fans who throw a hissy and get overly defensive regarding TT whenever it is mentioned that he may have dropped the ball a few times. I.E. meaning there can be no criticism of TT at all--healthy or otherwise.

And in fact, if you bothered to read my post, I didn't even critcize TT. All I said was don't screw up the Al Harris deal next year TT...do the right thing and compensate Al......and you went into a tizzie..

Talk about inconsiderate...

(Excuse me, Ted...now we can't call him TT anymore without being politically incorrect?)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
That's not the point Zero..and you should know it.

The point is regarding fans who throw a hissy and get overly defensive regarding TT whenever it is mentioned that he may have dropped the ball a few times. I.E. meaning there can be no criticism of TT at all--healthy or otherwise.

All I said was don't screw up the Al Harris deal next year TT...do the right thing and compensate Al......and you went into a tizzie..

Talk about inconsiderate...

tittie?

You can't even accurately state what you previously said!

Keep Al...Teddy!!!

Do what's right!

Everyone knows an understands Ted has made mistakes. WE ALL DO IT! We are HUMAN. We make mistakes. Teds mistakes just off the top of my head (in MY opinion and are not limited to)
Letting Wahle go.
Bringing in Manuel.
Not that he could have done much about it, but trading Walker to the Bronco I think is a mistake, without thinking thoroughly about and adding in Al Harris stating hes not happy with his contract that he was happy to sign a few years back, I'd like to have seen Walker not playing.

Are these things he KNEW were mistakes? No, some of us assumed they were, but he's a freakin General Manager he HAS to take some risks. ITS WHAT HE GETS PAID TO DO! Most of his moves have been educated. Some just puzzle the **** out of me and I'm sure many others. As for those who 'knew' they were mistakes. Consider the source. Generally its those who claim everything is bad this or bad that.

But saying 'Let's hope Ted doesn't screw this one up.' is implying he IS a screw up (or does it often) and that my friend is ignorant because YOU do NOT know what it takes to be a General Manager in the NFL, you do NOT know what goes on behind the scenes so you have no right to insinuate he is a screw up!
You're a fan! Know your role and respect it. Stop embarassing the other Packer fans on this website. Other teams fans come here and they are gonna see all your garbage and think thats what all Packers fans are like. We (PACKERS FANS) are far better than that. If you don't believe me, take a look at the Mike McCarthy pole in which an alarming percentage selected to atleast give Mike another year before deciding to rid the team of his ***.

Referring to someone ******** this up, thats more so on Al Harris than Ted. Did Ted sign the contract a few years back? NO, Al Harris signed it! Ted can't be held accountable for players suddenly deciding a contract that was good enough for their JOHN HANCOCK is suddenly not worth their time to carry out.
That falls onto the PLAYER who signed the dotted line.

Take previously mentioned Walker. Walker screwed himself out of GB. Not so much Ted. Ted did what was best for the team in his opinion. Mine? I'd rather have the kid sit a year and think about his actions. Would that be best for the TEAM? Well, now you know why I'm not a GM.

OP
OP
H

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Harris has proved himself to be one of the best corners in the league and by all means should go to the pro bowl this year. I also think Woodson should also go, he started out slow but sure has been great along the way..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Harris has proved himself to be one of the best corners in the league and by all means should go to the pro bowl this year. I also think Woodson should also go, he started out slow but sure has been great along the way..

Agreed!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Then if Al Harris makes the Pro-Bowl....

should TT renog. his contract..???

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

tittie? sick pig dont bring that nasty stuff here

Should a player have his contract redone because he maeks the Pro Bowl? No! That's idiotic, thats JAVON WALKER syndrome. The man SIGNED a contract WILLINGLY! He did NOT have a gun held to his head (atleast to my feeble knowledge) when he signed the dotted line.

If he wouldn't have spoken out about his contract, I'd definetely reward him with some cash incentives. But! He did some *****ing about it during the off season and now if the management gives him what he wanted more players will do the same thing instead of what Donald Driver did. Which was keep things low key and TRUST the management to do you right!

Harris, Mike McKenzie, Walker, none of them had faith in the Packers taking care of them. Don't even question that, it'd be foolish to.

To simply answer the question, no. ;)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

I agree with Zero on this...Ted was not the one that inked this deal, it was Sherman and Al..Maybe Ted really thinks Al is worth more then what he signed for, maybe he thinks Al isnt worth it..

But one thing wrong with the NFL is the way these players sign a deal then all of a sudden it isnt good enuff a year or two later..And until that changes, we are always going to have this happening...

Is Al worth more, everyone probably would agree he is worth more then what he is making now..At the start of the season a big question was his age and can he do it still, he has shown he can..

But he also should not take the issue public, he should have done it like Driver did, try to work on it behind the scenes....

Maybe Ted was waiting to see how Al holds up during the entire season before trying to redo his deal. But if he doesnt redo the deal that cant be considered Ted being a screw up, since he is just doing what the contract says..

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You sure that thing you share wasn't marked "Abbey something"....

So..I guess there's a chance of Al Harris sitting out next season or "riding the pines"....or maybe he'll be in Denver next year? Ther's always a possibility....

Driver's deal was re-worked....and wasn't Ahmad Carroll making more money then Al Harris was before he was cut? I know Woodson is...

That's what I meant about TT not ******** up the "Al Harris situation"....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
You sure that thing you share wasn't marked "Abbey something"....

So..I guess there's a chance of Al Harris sitting out next season or "riding the pines"....or maybe he'll be in Denver next year? Ther's always a possibility....

Driver's deal was re-worked....and wasn't Ahmad Carroll making more money then Al Harris was before he was cut? I know Woodson is...

That's what I meant about TT not ******** up the "Al Harris situation"....

If Carroll was making more then Al that WASNT Teds fault now was it..But he needs to fix it so he doesnt look like a screw up? :roll:

Driver and Al had the same issue going on..Driver wanted more money but still had some years left, even tho privatley he was saying he wanted more, he didnt mention it in the media.

Al is doing the complete opposite..

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless I'm not mistaken Harris never held out this year. He made every day of training camp and every pre season game and has started every regular season game this year. He said he'd always be at camp and come to play. He did just that. Mike McKenzie held out into the season until he was traded. Javon Walker and Al Harris is a different situation. Walker went to every media organization you can think of. He want on Jim Rome, ESPN, etc... Harris talked to Channel 5 CBS News is Green Bay. Walker made threats to be cancer to the team if he wasn't traded. He demanded a trade. He said he would not play in GB again. Al Harris has done what? Says he thinks he's worth more money than he's getting paid. Believe he deserves a new contract before next year and may hold out NEXT YEAR If he doesn't get one. Hines Ward of the Steelers held out into the pre season a year ago? Is he a bad guy? Most Steeler fans don't seem to think so. In fact he won the Super Bowl MVP that season.

Harris' play on the field has been consistent for at least 3 years now. He's been the Packers #1 CB for that time. He's done some great things for the team. Harris deserves a raise because of his play on the field and the fact is he hasn't made any threats to the team about being cancer. If he holds out into the training camp. That's find. Bubba Franks did it! He's also only been a starter for a 3 or 4 years now. He took on a much smaller role in Philly so his body isn't probably as banged up as most CB's his age. He hasn't suffered any severe injuries. He's been healthy. Green Bay has more than enough cap to get him a new deal and they need him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Unless I'm not mistaken Harris never held out this year. He made every day of training camp and every pre season game and has started every regular season game this year. He said he'd always be at camp and come to play. He did just that. Mike McKenzie held out into the season until he was traded. Javon Walker and Al Harris is a different situation. Walker went to every media organization you can think of. He want on Jim Rome, ESPN, etc... Harris talked to Channel 5 CBS News is Green Bay. Walker made threats to be cancer to the team if he wasn't traded. He demanded a trade. He said he would not play in GB again. Al Harris has done what? Says he thinks he's worth more money than he's getting paid. Believe he deserves a new contract before next year and may hold out NEXT YEAR If he doesn't get one. Hines Ward of the Steelers held out into the pre season a year ago? Is he a bad guy? Most Steeler fans don't seem to think so. In fact he won the Super Bowl MVP that season.

Harris' play on the field has been consistent for at least 3 years now. He's been the Packers #1 CB for that time. He's done some great things for the team. Harris deserves a raise because of his play on the field and the fact is he hasn't made any threats to the team about being cancer. If he holds out into the training camp. That's find. Bubba Franks did it! He's also only been a starter for a 3 or 4 years now. He took on a much smaller role in Philly so his body isn't probably as banged up as most CB's his age. He hasn't suffered any severe injuries. He's been healthy. Green Bay has more than enough cap to get him a new deal and they need him.

edit, lmao ...

Members online

Latest posts