Lions Release DT Dan Wilkinson !

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ALLEN PARK, Michigan (Ticker) - Rod Marinelli prefers fast defensive tackles with the ability to penetrate the backfield over massive ones that clog the middle. That essentially spelled the end for Dan Wilkinson with the Detroit Lions.

The 6-4, 353-pound Wilkinson was released by the Lions on Monday after starting all 48 games for them over the last three seasons.

However, Wilkinson was not a good fit in the Cover-2 defense scheme that new coach Marinelli is installing in Detroit.

The No. 1 overall pick in the 1994 draft, Wilkinson played four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals before being traded to the Washington Redskins in 1997. He spent five years with Washington before signing with the Lions in 2003.

In Detroit, Wilkinson was paired inside with Shaun Rogers, who made the Pro Bowl each of the last two seasons.

In his 12-year career, Wilkinson compiled 455 tackles and 54 sacks.

The Lions on Monday also re-signed restricted free agent linebacker James Davis to a one-year contract.

Davis started all 16 games at weakside linebacker last season and was third on the team in tackles with 79.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when he was on the market before he signed with the Lions. People wanted to sign him really bad then. He might be a good pickup for us, but I'd like to see Colin Cole develop.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HE couldn't make up his mind whether or not he wanted to retire. I think it was his way of missing the mini camps and grueling workouts. Marinelli let him go because Dan was looking for the easy way in IMO. No free rides in Marinelli's team. He wasn't about to let big daddy miss all of the workouts and mini camps and then decide he wanted to play this year.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know who will sign him, but he hasn't slowed down much in the last couple of years. amazing run stopper, he's not very mobile though.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Grady I hope the Packers don't sign him. I dont think we will we have yound DT's who are coming into a zone, along with Pickett

Members online

Latest posts