Lions/Packers Week 5

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
CM3 needs to play, no matter what the condition of his thumb, IMO. We need him to play. We have had lesser guys show more toughness. Hell, even Favre played with a mangled thumb on his THROWING hand, played with broken ribs, played with banged up knees...etc...
you see D linemen play with that club hand cast A LOT, hope he decides to tape this up and play or cast it or whatever.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay will play.

Agreed Clay will play. Stick a club on that hand and Clay will have a gay old time whacking the stuffing out of people.

BTW would anyone else like to see him bulk up again? I could be seeing things but I swear he seemed bigger and meatier during the 2010 campaign and just more effective rushing the passer when healthy. Now he's quicker and faster but he doesn't have the bull rush or inside ability that he had.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Agreed Clay will play. Stick a club on that hand and Clay will have a gay old time whacking the stuffing out of people.

BTW would anyone else like to see him bulk up again? I could be seeing things but I swear he seemed bigger and meatier during the 2010 campaign and just more effective rushing the passer when healthy. Now he's quicker and faster but he doesn't have the bull rush or inside ability that he had.

He is the same size, muscle wise.....he is just being blocked by the LT which is the offenses best blocker (typically) and he normally gets some type of extra blocker (RB , TE) put on him as well. Not to mention in 2010, he ran a lot of twist style blitzes and came from the right, left, middle....defenses couldn't plan or adjust on the fly for that very well. Why we don't do that anymore, IDK.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is the same size, muscle wise.....he is just being blocked by the LT which is the offenses best blocker (typically) and he normally gets some type of extra blocker (RB , TE) put on him as well. Not to mention in 2010, he ran a lot of twist style blitzes and came from the right, left, middle....defenses couldn't plan or adjust on the fly for that very well. Why we don't do that anymore, IDK.

Agreed with that, Ive been clamoring to see Clay employed in the LT fashion ever since the second half of the 2010 season. When we did use him in that fashion he was a legit one man wrecking crew. He's been outstanding since, but just not as special. I suspect he's been used this way as a result of personnel limitations, needed to play a lot of 24 nickel to keep our DLs rested and healthy. This year Capers probably wanted Clay on outside contain against SF and Wash. I suspect we will see more of Clay lining up from the left side of the Defense and in between the guards more frequently. As Neal and Perry continue to improve and play better Capers will start to feel more comfortable unleashing Clay in a true free style role.

I'd like to see a 25 style Defense with Perry and Neal playing OLB, Perry on the right, and then let Clay attack the offense however he sees fit. If he wants to drop back into coverage he can drop and if he wants to shove either Perry and Neal down onto the line and rush from the outside he can do that, or if he wants to rush over the middle he can do that as well. Let's maximize the abilities of our best Defensive player.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CM3 needs to play, no matter what the condition of his thumb, IMO. We need him to play. We have had lesser guys show more toughness. Hell, even Favre played with a mangled thumb on his THROWING hand, played with broken ribs, played with banged up knees...etc...
you see D linemen play with that club hand cast A LOT, hope he decides to tape this up and play or cast it or whatever.

If doctors are concerned that playing with a fractured thumb will potentially damage his hand for years to come, then he should sit out. Broken thumbs aren't all the same. Basically comes down to whether or not the bones can be set into alignment from outside the thumb; if the bones can't be set externally then they have to open up the tumb. Don't think you'd want to risk Matthews losing much of his ability to grip objects just so he can play a few extra games this year. Gotta think of the future on this one.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The packers front office has been thinking of the future with the recent draft picks, if that isnt obvious. "If" it isnt bad enough, he should be out there playing, with some sort of protective bandaging on. Future does not win you games right now, and we need to start a climb out of the basement and fight off 2 bitter rivals who, right now, are ahead of us. In order to put some comfy distance between us and them, considering our schedule, we NEED his butt on the field. Teams play us much much differently when they know they dont have to contend with his pass rush, speed, and ability to contain his side of the field.

Last edited:

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here in Michigan, the radio talk shows are all over the "we would have won this with Megatron" BS. I watched the game with Lion fans and none of them was saying that. The line was SOL. Same old Lions.
The Pack still would have probably won.......might have been a closer score though......I think the Lions will win on Thanksgiving though.
I am a die hard fan, but, unless this team steps it up, they may struggle to get to 9-7 this year. Hopefully I am wrong, but they seem stale on offense. On a brighter note, the defense played extremely well yesterday.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense is stale right now. We are blowing opportunities in the Red zone and Mike needs to pick it up on his play calling.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree !!! Besides the 2 runs by Cobb, I saw nothing but vanilla plays. Had we been playing a good defense like Seattle, we would been killed.

I think we need to recognize that our Offense is going through an adjustment right now and that Aaron isn't very comfortable. We're running a more balanced attack and in time as Aaron gets used to a more run focused Offense his play should improve. I wouldn't panic on the Offense just yet.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I think we need to recognize that our Offense is going through an adjustment right now and that Aaron isn't very comfortable. We're running a more balanced attack and in time as Aaron gets used to a more run focused Offense his play should improve. I wouldn't panic on the Offense just yet.

Who's in panic mode? Not me. I just think that we have an extensive play book that MM does not dive into that often. It's the same old same old from week to week. Teams should have keyed into that by now. As far as Arod goes, if you can't handle a more balanced offense that takes pressure off of YOU and opens the door for better play action passes, then grow up. If we go back to pass pass pass pass pass pass pass, yes we will ring up points, but our damn defense will be on the field and get gased out fast, hence the other team will ring up points and then we have a shoot out. example: recent denver/dallas game = no defense due to an all out air war.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's in panic mode? Not me. I just think that we have an extensive play book that MM does not dive into that often. It's the same old same old from week to week. Teams should have keyed into that by now. As far as Arod goes, if you can't handle a more balanced offense that takes pressure off of YOU and opens the door for better play action passes, then grow up. If we go back to pass pass pass pass pass pass pass, yes we will ring up points, but our damn defense will be on the field and get gased out fast, hence the other team will ring up points and then we have a shoot out. example: recent denver/dallas game = no defense due to an all out air war.

My apologies I didn't mean to imply that you were panicking, I was referring to the whole forum. Rodgers has always been described as a rhythm quarterback, he needs to get hot to be at his best and he seems to be struggling to find his rhythm. He's probably irritated at not having the ball in his hands 70% of the snaps and I agree that he needs to grow up if he's really having an issue with this. I have seen this team lose too many games because the offense went pass happy against two deep shells and completely ignored the running game even though it was effective.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
My apologies I didn't mean to imply that you were panicking, I was referring to the whole forum. Rodgers has always been described as a rhythm quarterback, he needs to get hot to be at his best and he seems to be struggling to find his rhythm. He's probably irritated at not having the ball in his hands 70% of the snaps and I agree that he needs to grow up if he's really having an issue with this. I have seen this team lose too many games because the offense went pass happy against two deep shells and completely ignored the running game even though it was effective.

No man, my bad...sorry....I just re-read what I wrote to ya, and it did come off as kinda snotty. No harm meant by me.

Members online

Latest posts