Lions exposed as frauds; playoff hopes are dim

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Someone hit the panic button.... Millen is gotta be feeling the heat today... Sorry Big3 :(

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071123/COL08/711230321/1048/SPORTS

DREW SHARP: Lions exposed as frauds; playoff hopes are dim
November 23, 2007

BY DREW SHARP

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

A three-game losing streak has exposed the Lions' true identity. They're that seductress that looks much better when the light is dim and the heart desperate, luring those that should know better closer with a wink and a whisper.

But it's only a meaningless flirtation.

That was the Lions' 6-2 start, just another cheap tease passing itself off as respectability.

The *****!

The 0-3 start to the second half of the regular season strikes much closer to the genuine core of this team.

They're simply not that good.

The Lions' castles in the sky came crashing down in yet another Thanksgiving turkey, a 37-26 surrender to the inevitable NFC North champion Green Bay.

It's no longer about the Lions making the playoffs now. It's about winning another game this season. They've blown the playoffs with three straight losses in clearly winnable games.

"Ten (wins) gets you in (the playoffs)," said Jon Kitna. "The reality is we've got to get to 10. In the NFC, that'll get you in. We've got to get to 10. We've got five games left."

The Kitna playoff formula requires four wins in the Lions' final five games.

That's not happening, especially with a disjointed offense incapable of mutual success through the air and on the ground. It's either one or the other on any given week. The Lions ran the ball well against the Packers, but it didn't open up downfield opportunities for the passing game. If it's a matter of poor execution, then the coaches aren't doing their jobs properly.

They're not winning four of their final five when the offensive tackles can't keep the edge rushers out of Kitna's face. Green Bay defensive end Aaron Kampman spent so much time in the Lions' backfield, they should have just given him a Honolulu blue and silver helmet and a copy of Mike Martz's playbook.

They're not winning four of their final five when they continually feed the ball to one of their two big play-making receivers at the complete exclusion of the other.

It was rookie Calvin Johnson who was the primary target Thursday, catching seven passes, and Roy Williams who assumed Johnson's previous role as The Invisible Man.

Williams was clearly frustrated over his lack of offensive participation. He motioned to Martz on the sideline after he caught his first pass of the game late in the second quarter, perhaps suggesting he get more action coming in his direction and soon.

Interestingly, Williams was absent from the locker room once reporters arrived afterwards. It was noticeable because he's always available regardless of the game's outcome.

Was his absence a response to any discontent over his reduced input?

It's those questions that arise when hope morphs into hell in just three weeks.

"There is no panic in my life," said Rod Marinelli. "I just don't live that way. What I do look forward to is getting our team in (Friday). I do look forward to the challenge that is ahead of us. It is a tough challenge. I've been down this road many times. I just believe in the players. I believe in work habits. I believe in work."

And the players believe in Marinelli.

This isn't comparable to prior collapses when the Lions tuned out their head coach, quit on the season and carelessly walked hand-in-hand into the abyss. That's not the issue.

But trusting the message takes you only so far through a 16-game season. Players must consistently make plays and that demands a higher level of talent than the Lions possess.

They looked better defensively when the quarterbacks facing them were stiffs like Tavaris Jackson and Brian Griese. It was much easier when they faced teams with one reliable offensive playmaker.

"We're still in good position," insisted Kitna. "We're obviously not where we wanted to be three weeks ago, but we're still in control of our own destiny. We're still 6-5 with five games left. There's a chance. That's all you can ask for."

Their losses to Arizona and New York leave them with no other playoff alternative than 10 wins because they'll lose any 9-7 or 8-8 tiebreakers to the Cardinals, Giants, Redskins and Eagles because they've lost to all four.

That would require them winning two of these three: Dallas at home and visits to San Diego and Green Bay.

That's not happening, folks and there's no guarantee the freefall hit bottom on Thursday.

It only makes the disappointment sting even more because the Lions once again exploited the public's vulnerability, sucking them into yet another tease that covered up the truth.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
More distress...

ROY WILLIAMS: Ignored on offense, mad at Martz?
November 23, 2007

FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

The Lions aren't likely to win when when they continually feed the ball to one of their two big play-making receivers at the complete exclusion of the other.

It was rookie Calvin Johnson who was the primary target in Thursday's loss to Green Bay, catching seven passes, and Roy Williams who assumed Johnson’s previous role as The Invisible Man.

Williams was clearly frustrated over his lack of offensive participation. He motioned to Mike Martz on the sideline after he caught his first pass of the game late in the second quarter, perhaps suggesting he get more action coming in his direction and soon.

Interestingly, Williams was absent from the locker room once reporters arrived afterwards. It was noticeable because he’s always available regardless of the game’s outcome.

Was his absence a response to any discontent over his reduced input?

This week on WDFN-AM, Williams was asked if he had any input with Martz, the offensive coordinator. Williams said: Jon "Kitna can. Anytime I try to step out on a limb it's “I’ve been doing this for 34 years.” He’s won Super Bowls so he makes the calls."

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the reason Roy Williams didn't get many passes thrown his way was because he was being guarded by Al Harris. Last year at Lambeau Harris held him to one catch and got an interception. Williams didn't do much more against him this time.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drew Sharp is one of the most hated writers in Detroit. NO ONE reads him. he is always focussed on the negative. not saying he is wrong, but when all you spew is negative, and your team is the lion's, you are bound to get some right. The guy gets off on lion's losses. he belongs in Chicago or Green Bay.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drew Sharp is one of the most hated writers in Detroit. NO ONE reads him. he is always focussed on the negative. not saying he is wrong, but when all you spew is negative, and your team is the lion's, you are bound to get some right. The guy gets off on lion's losses. he belongs in Chicago or Green Bay.
I'd say he has about an 90% chance of being right.
Hey.....he MIGHT be a big Lions fan, but really, what positive has he (or you) had to dwell on Lions wise lately? I never read the guys stuff, so all i have to go on is whats written here. I know there arn't many Lion fans that are thrilled with the team in the recent past (Joey "Pink Pants" Harrington i think you called him) So maybe this guy is just a frustrated fan, and uses his column to air it out.
Then again, maybe he's just a jerk like you said! :wink:
It HAS to be frustrating for you, as your team started out so strong. Even i'm surprised at their collapse. Although the first game i say them play was the last one against us, so i really didn't know how good or bad they were.

Members online

Latest posts