1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Linux?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Zombieslayer, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone here use Linux? Was a big user from '98 until a few years ago. Burned out of computers now, because it's become just another job. But would like to get back into Linux.

My question is, if you use Linux, what's the best distro now? I used Mandrake, but it's not even its own distro anymore. You use KDE or Gnome (or another one)? I use XFCE but my wife loves KDE. You do it as a hobby or for work? Also, what got you into Linux?

2. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I have run Fedora Core 2 and 4, just in a classroom environment and to mess with at home. Configured apache2 and a few other things... and played with a couple other ditros (Mandrake and a few others I can't remember) but I haven't messed with it in like 6mo.

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Linux?

Isnt that the Peanuts character that always played the piano?

4. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Fedora Core 4.

2.6.3? I think is the lastest

5. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    http://fedora.redhat.com
    http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/fedora/core/5/i386//iso/

"Download Fedora Core 5 now."

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh lord.........i was gonna type the "Peanuts character" thing........then saw Trommykins beat me too it!
    Trom.....howzit feel to think like CHEESEY! (Have you had a recent brain injury?)LOLOLOL!!! :lol:

7. NiVeK

NiVeK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    huh? I like cinnamon apple sauce.

8. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    you guys learn how to use Linux and such at school or what?

9. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    School and on my own messing around with it.

10. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Learned it a few years ago for game server hosting and now in school for it.

11. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried it. Hated it. Went back to Windows.

The only distro I got to actually install on my spare machine was Mandrake. Ubuntu and SuSE wouldn't even boot after install.

Not to rant, but I found the Linux "community" far less than helpful in assisting me with my problems installing it. In fact, one particular person told me that Linux was not made for everyone. I have both a Windows 2000 MCP and CCNA certification and graduated at the top of my class for both. I have worked on a second-level server support desk for the last 5 years supporting one of Canada's largest financial institutions. If Linux is *that* hard to understand, I really don't see how many people will ever be successful with it.

Ironically, the Cisco IOS is very similar to unix, so I wouldn't have expected such a ridiculous learning curve. We use HP-Unix at work for software distribution, but for the life of me I couldn't get linux to do much but surf the web and send an email. Good luck with it... I am sure you can make a fortune supporting it if you stick with it and get certified. ;)

12. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Linux is Linus. Hes the one that sucked his thumb and carried a blanket around.

13. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    [​IMG]
    Linus Torvalds initiated the development of the Linux kernel.

Nothing about peanuts.

14. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I too have found the linux community lacking of social grace. However, that doesn't mean Linux isn't the s***.

Linux installation leaves something to be desired. I'll readily admit that. Keep in mind though 99.9% of people who use Windows have never had to install it once in their lives.

You get Linux installed and configured correctly, then start seeing what it could do for you, you'll never go back to Windows.

I work on computers for a living. I'll take an AIX box for a server, a Mac for cartooning, and Linux for a desktop. I'll readily admit though, Windows has the best screensavers.

15. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I learned it on my own. Started off with Red Hat 5.0 back in '98. It was a mess. Had a soundcard and a video card that didn't work with it. But then a virus came and ate my Windows NT 4.1. After that, I got so angry that I gave Linux another try and never went back.

Linux improves so fast it's frightening. The development is lightspeed. Linux has tools for everything, long before Windows does. Not only that, it never crashes (my Windows XP at work needs to be rebooted at least once a week and the Task Manager is a joke.) It never gets viruses. And it's really cool to configure. It's much better to look at than Windows too. If you don't like the way Linux looks, simply change your Desktop Environment. There are so many good ones competing with each other, like KDE, GNOME, XFCE (wife uses KDE, I use XFCE).

It also makes use of old hardware. Linux is so efficient that you don't need a smoking box to do cool things.