Linebackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our LB's are a problem. Oakland really exposed this.

We almost needed to keep Goodson on the field to combat the Raiders rushing game. Unfortunately, he's not very good in coverage.

Our other starting LB, Martinez...he just isn't good. He's not good against the run, he's terrible in coverage. He plays so freaking passive it drives me crazy. He just sits, and waits...and then misses tackles. ATTACK MAN! LB is not a good place to play passively. I cannot believe that people here want GB to him decent money. He's easily replaceable.

Then we have Oren Burks, who can't seem to get on the field. So that's a disappointment.

We absolutely have to sign and draft an ILB next year. It's a huge weakness on this team.
I kid you not, Raven Greene was our best "LB". He covered up so many mistakes that Martinez makes.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing GB could possibly do is make a trade. Problem is they are 6-1 so that weakness will be looked over till like the NFC champion game when they give up 200yd rushing and lose.

GB is missing a MLB big time. Martinez plays prevent defense all game long. Hopefully in the playoffs, the Smiths and Rodgers show up big time in where it don't matter. Yeah this offseason, bring in a veteran, anybody.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kid you not, Raven Greene was our best "LB". He covered up so many mistakes that Martinez makes.
Agree and disagree.

Greene-Martinez is the best pairing we've had this season. Let's be honest, neither are star playmakers on their own....but as a duo....they compliment each other and together they are greater than sum of parts.

I still believe in Blake and lack of a proper partner is holding him back.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our current defensive scheme needs 2 ILB's and currently we only have Martinez. If we throw a safety in there, the other team runs it down our throat. If we throw Burks or some other ILB, the other team passes all over the place with that guy. We have literally passed over 10-15 really high draft picks that would have been great additions, but decided against them and chose differently. Yes, we need to draft some ILB's or get some in free agency. I'm at the point though that we need to start drafting offensive capital though. We are short at OT with Bulaga being near the end, an interior lineman, and currently we have no #2 target behind Adams. Bunches of #3's or higher doesn't make a #2 WR.

Reaction score
Blake should only be dropping into coverage on rare occasion. You need a Will LB doing that. Blake doesn’t play that position, but because he’s playing both LB positions, he’s spread thin in both areas an becomes susceptible (almost any LB would)
Grading him on both positions shows a fundamental ineptitude for understanding our D. To be successful in either area it’s imperative to possess an adequate coverage Backer.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Blake should only be dropping into coverage on rare occasion. You need a Will LB doing that. Blake doesn’t play that position, but because he’s playing both LB positions, he’s spread thin in both areas an becomes susceptible (almost any LB would)
Grading him on both positions shows a fundamental ineptitude for understanding our D. To be successful in either area it’s imperative to possess an adequate coverage Backer.

He is a liability in man coverage and he's passive in run defense. So you put a run stuffer next to him, and you suffer in coverage because he can't cover. So you put a cover player next to him, and you suffer in run defense because he can't handle blockers and doesn't attack gaps.

Tell me what he does really well.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What?! He's not playing both positions.

Look, there's simply nothing he's very good at it. I'd be able to excuse his woeful coverage if he was an aggressive, attacking, LB. But he's not, he plays passive. Waits for the RB to approach him. That has nothing to do with who is playing next to him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agree and disagree.

Greene-Martinez is the best pairing we've had this season. Let's be honest, neither are star playmakers on their own....but as a duo....they compliment each other and together they are greater than sum of parts.

I still believe in Blake and lack of a proper partner is holding him back.

Can you explain to me why you think that it's the other guys' fault that Martinez can't cover, plays the run with passivity, and is a disaster whenever he has to handle a blocker?

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, if y'all like racking up tackles 5-8 yards down the field, then Martinez is elite.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not think the problem is necessarily the personnel as much as it is a defensive coordinator that believes zone stops anything. Do I think our ILBs are elite? no. But did the dc make defensive calls to put them in a position for success? no.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not think the problem is necessarily the personnel as much as it is a defensive coordinator that believes zone stops anything. Do I think our ILBs are elite? no. But did the dc make defensive calls to put them in a position for success? no.

I mean today alone Blake was in position to make 3 tackles that would have greatly changed the Raiders running yardage. For example on Jacobs 40 yarder Martinez completely whiffed. That run should have gone for maybe 5 yards. The two other missed tackles both should have been a TFL. Instead they turned into positive yardage for the Raiders.

Blake and Goodson both stink in coverage. There's not much you can do about that. Neither are great athletes

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody watching Martinez today would think he was anything more than barely attaining adequate. Maybe I’m just watching him more but these past 3 weeks I wouldn’t even call him adequate. I think he was better as a rookie

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nobody watching Martinez today would think he was anything more than barely attaining adequate. Maybe I’m just watching him more but these past 3 weeks I wouldn’t even call him adequate. I think he was better as a rookie

I've watched him way more intentionally this season just because he's a pending FA. Typically my eyes are on the lines and the edges, just because he really can't focus on everything. But watching Martinez intently... it's bad. They aren't going to replace him mid season but they need to move on after this year.

Reaction score
He is a liability in man coverage and he's passive in run defense. So you put a run stuffer next to him, and you suffer in coverage because he can't cover. So you put a cover player next to him, and you suffer in run defense because he can't handle blockers and doesn't attack gaps.

Tell me what he does really well.
Tackle.
Dante. Show me one more player in the entire league and in ALL positions that has more Tackles than Blake Martinez since he became a FT starter game 1

I’m waiting (here comes the mad scramble..)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you explain to me why you think that it's the other guys' fault that Martinez can't cover, plays the run with passivity, and is a disaster whenever he has to handle a blocker?
I'm not saying it's anyone fault. Just that Blake is not a one man ILB crew and it's not a one man job.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's anyone fault. Just that Blake is not a one man ILB crew and it's not a one man job.

I am not holding him responsible for the failures of others. It's his own play that I'm criticizing.

Reaction score
They’ll thoroughly try to convince you he should wear 2 hats and excel at both. Anyone with a lick of common sense knows better.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They’ll thoroughly try to convince you he should wear 2 hats and excel at both. Anyone with a lick of common sense knows better.

Please show me where literally anyone said that he should play both spots.

Reaction score
Please show me where literally anyone said that he should play both spots.
You said he wasn’t good at anything.
I’m still waiting on you to present the Leagues best tackler. You can go all the way to Blake’s very first full season. Go ahead and say it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m still waiting on you to present the Leagues best tackler. Go ahead and say it.

Huh? When did you even ask me this?

Did you start a new med? Or perhaps forget to take some others?

Edit-- oh I see it.

If volume tackle numbers are your thing, more power to you. I'm more into linebackers who do things well. Call me crazy.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How the **** did we lose to Eagles? The only teams they've beaten apart from us are Jets and Skins who both are abysmal. They've been railroaded by all other teams.

That was a weird result. I'd have preferred a 7-0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts