Linebacker questions

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think this is right at all.

Linebackers are not rare or particularly hard to find. In terms of positional value, relative to other NFL positions, they're on the low end. Quarterbacks, pass rushers (both edge and interior), corners, offensive tackles, and wide receivers all make more than comparable off-ball linebackers. And there was certainly more than one good off-ball linebacker in this class.

What's hard is finding linebackers who can hold up in man coverage. Those are the guys that get paid, because they're rare. But most NFL defenses operate without such a player.

None of the Packers edge players, the Smiths and Gary, are going to be playing snaps at off-ball linebacker. Za'Darius will certainly move inside, both with hand down or standing up, but he's operating as an interior pass rusher, not a stacked linebacker.

And strength coaches are not trying to transform WILLS into SAMS or MIKES. SAM is a disappearing position league wide. Nickel (w/ two stacked LB's) and Dime (w/ one stacked LB) dominate the league. Per Footballoutsiders, the NFL used nickel or dime 75% of the time and base only 25% of the time. The Packers used nickel or dime 81% of the time, and base only 18% of the time.

All that said, I do think you're on to something with your comment in cold. The offense that LaFleur is attempting to build in Green Bay is designed to be able to run down the throat of teams in light personnel, while also being able to pass effectively without substituting. If you play dime against SF when they're in 21 personnel, with Kittle and Juszczyk on the field, they will gash you on the ground. But if you go to base to limit that, those two players will smoke a linebacker in coverage and pick up chunk plays through the air. The key to the system is finding players who can be effective in both ways. Because if you have to substitute, you give the defense a chance to do the same.
You are stating the obvious that linebackers are not hard to find.... there are hundreds of them
The problem is finding linebackers who have a blend of speed, strength, intelligence, tackling ability, and hitting power since 26-28 teams in this league are focusing on speed all over the field (WR, slot, TE, running backs, and most notibly quarterbacks.....LB’s in today’s NFL who address the realities of this a rare indeed and highly coveted. If you don’t have them your royalty screwed.
Who cares what MLF is concocting on GB offensive side of the football when we’re talking about GB LB issues.... the majority on the league isn’t following that set up.
Today’s LB is a hybrid LB/DB.... a real freak of nature
The only way you can get away without having that type of talent or a reasonable facsimile of it is if you have a devastating pass rush to blow up points of attack so the LB group doesnt need that extended skill set (see SF)
I think your analysis is flawed

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I believe the title of this thread should be Inside Linebacker. Because OLB, this team is set. While, I was very nervous losing Blake Martinez, I went back and watched some film. Guys, re-watch the Oakland game. Martinez was the biggest liability in that entire game. The next biggest liability was BJ Goodson. While I cannot say I am comfortable with Burks, Summers or Bolton and I do not know they are young enough to continue to improve. I think Martinez hit his ceiling last year and the holes in his game truly show. I honestly do not know enough about Kirksey yet, but I know he is an upgrade to Goodson at a minimum.

H

HardRightEdge

I like the Martin pick. There's not a lot of youtube highlight clips on him, but what's there shows what Gutekunst likes about him. I wouldn't doubt he'd run in the 4.5s - 4.6s when healthy. Looks very athletic with good size and some good run instincts--3-down potential. If the knee is at or near 100% after that surgery as is claimed I think we're going to see a lot of him this season.

Martin along with one of iOL draftees, I forget which, continues a theme from free agency: perceived injury history discounts.

Alternatively, the name Raven Greene has not come up here so far. He started the season getting a lot of snaps in the nickel hybrid ILB role. Despite being undersized in what you ideally want in that role, he played pretty well until getting injured in week 2, though the Bears did not run much in week 1. His ankle injury was pretty serious, and it was the second straight year he tore a deltoid, so there's a wait and see on him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts