Letting Bears Score Was Packers' Only Chance

theheadcheese.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It pains me to write this. It goes against everything I stand for. Would Vince Lombardi have had the guts to tell Willie Davis and Ray Nitschke to let the Bears waltz into the end zone in the final minute to give the offense a chance to answer?

Of course not. But this is 2010. The age of Madden '11. Where the rules are stacked to put points on the board (see the Morgan Burnett pass inteference call where both players were grabbing each other). When Mike Holmgren did itin Super Bowl XXXII, he caught a lot of flak. But Holmgren was and is a great offensive mind and knew his only chance was to give his Pro Bowl QB another chance.

McCarthy should have done the same thing. Once he wasted a timeout with a challenge that never should have been made, his hand was forced. There was only the slimmest of chances that Robbie Gould was going to miss a chip shot field goal. He's never missed one from inside 30 yards. Never.

With one minute and one timeout remaining, Rodgers would have had a chance to direct a game tying-touchdown. The odds would have been rather long, but the chances were a lot better than Gould shanking one.

Offense rules in today's NFL. Usually, the team with the ball last, wins close games. McCarthy should have given up the points and given Rodgers one more opportunity.

One final thought, while McCarthy and his coaches light up the team this week for its lack of discipline on the field (hello Nick Collins and Frank Zombo, among others), the head coach better think long and hard about how to handle challenges. He's made two very questionable ones already this season. Like some penalties and on-field mistakes, this is a correctable problem. Time to get it addressed now.

Follow the Pack 24-7 at The Head Cheese: The Place for Packer Fans : Head Cheese

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that this concept in general is a tough one. I mean ALLOWING your opponent to score is never a good thing. But when you are in a desperate situation, it calls for desperate actions.

I can't even remember the last time a team LET someone score to get the ball back. Someone please help me out with some references to those games.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN did a segment about this.
Chances of winning by blocking a Gould FG: 2%.
Chances of winning with 1:30 minutes and Rodgers: 15%.

HOWEVER, it's one game and one season. I think letting them score was the right move, but you still have to consider morale of the team as a factor...

Emperor_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I strongly agree we should of let them score... I know it doesn't sound right but this is still a competitive game. Do anything to get a edge.

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
I agree as well, although LETTING a team score just sounds ridiculous who knows what A-Rod could have done with the ball in 1:30 or so with 1 timeout. I think we have phenomenal talent at both QB, TE and WR positions. IDK maybe he just believed they'd get the kick blocked, to each his own? On to the next.

PackerFan87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure I'd be trustworthy in letting the offense march down the field but with only 1:30 on the clock and the Bears making us take half a quarter to get down it was a real slim chance :X

Members online