Letter on it way.. according to.. drum roll.. PFTalk.com

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Actually I hope this unknown source is correct.. get the ball rolling on this, make a decision and start to roll on.

REINSTATEMENT LETTER ON ITS WAY?
Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2008, 9:14 a.m.
We’re usually reluctant to put much stock in tips we get from folks we don’t know, but sometimes we get a good feeling after corresponding with said tipster over the course of a day or two.

But, still, it’s a tip, and it’s unverified and uncorroborated. So view it within that context.

Anyway, we’re told that the letter asking the Packers to reinstate quarterback Brett Favre to the active roster is ready to go, and presumably will be sent in the very near future.

None of this is earth shattering news, given that Peter King of SI.com reported three days ago that the letter will be sent within the next ten days.

Meanwhile, Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, who also is represented by Bus Cook, thinks that Favre indeed wants to play.

“I think he still wants to play football,” Cutler told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, ”but it’s complicated up there in Green Bay with Aaron [Rodgers] and what they’ve got going on. . . . I think Brett still wants to play, it’s just whether or not Green Bay is going to take him back or whether they’re going to release him.”

Pressed for details on things Cook might have said to Cutler, Cutler found a creative way to defer comment: “Bus is from Mississippi. I can’t understand half the things he says anyway.”

Meanwhile, as some of you prepare to send e-mails or post comments questioning our decision to continue to write about this story, let’s put this thing in perspective, with a little PFTV.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good. I hope Brett comes back, but one way or another this needs to end quickly. Too much of a distraction now...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if he plays anywhere else, he's gonna suck.
He'd have to learn a new offense, and all new teammates. I would think that alone would take at least a year.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Wonder where the Pilot was with this scoop? I wonder if he knows if it is going certified, registered and will be flown up and delivered in person to see Ted's facial reaction upon reciept? :lol:

This saga is so long, with so many chapters in it, I wouldn't be surprised to see a made for TV movie on the events.. "The Retirement of Brett"... two hours of guppie flopping might be enough to draw record viewers.. a guppie with #4 affixed to it and another with TT embedded upon it's skull. :lol:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Packnic said:
PackOne said:
cheesey said:
PackOne said:
Twenty bucks says that letter was written months and months ago.
(Probably before his retirement conference)

and right after he filmed his sprint commercial.

I thought I was the only one who saw that...

Buss Cook ain't no country bumpkin ya know.. maximize the earning potential of this comeback.. the milking of the cash cow Brett Favre and his earning potential..

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since69 said:
Packnic said:
PackOne said:
cheesey said:
PackOne said:
Twenty bucks says that letter was written months and months ago.
(Probably before his retirement conference)

and right after he filmed his sprint commercial.

I thought I was the only one who saw that...

Buss Cook ain't no country bumpkin ya know.. maximize the earning potential of this comeback.. the milking of the cash cow Brett Favre and his earning potential..

yeah i guess. Favre ain't doin it for free though.

i dont know all the details about this commercial so ill reserve major judgment.

i will say this... (keeping in mind that I am capitalism's biggest fan-make money money make money money) including the Madden 09 game, the commercial and the media reaction to all this... If Favre is doing all this just to keep his name in lights and maximize his earning potential, all while slowly eating away at the franchise and his legacy, I would be highly disappointed.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i will say this... (keeping in mind that I am capitalism's biggest fan-make money money make money money) including the Madden 09 game, the commercial and the media reaction to all this... If Favre is doing all this just to keep his name in lights and maximize his earning potential, all while slowly eating away at the franchise and his legacy, I would be highly disappointed.

Nah. I don't think so. I think the last thing Brett wanted was a media storm. If he was the attention ***** that people make him out to be, he'd would just have told Bus to call a press conference.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Personally I am losing respect for both sides on this, that is if these talks actually did take place several weeks ago with the MM conversation. If this was starting to take shape back then, both parties in this little decision have handled it extremely poorly, letting the media get ahold of such an open piece, and running amuck with it.. then both sides sitting in denial about it.. all along, letting the fans, whom are probably the most important piece of this particular franchises commodities, sit and wallow through this embarassment.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I am losing respect for both sides on this, that is if these talks actually did take place several weeks ago with the MM conversation. If this was starting to take shape back then, both parties in this little decision have handled it extremely poorly, letting the media get ahold of such an open piece, and running amuck with it.. then both sides sitting in denial about it.. all along, letting the fans, whom are probably the most important piece of this particular franchises commodities, sit and wallow through this embarassment.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's not team policy to discuss retired players after every rumor posted on pft.com. With that said, I'm sure this will be over within a matter of days.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's not team policy to discuss retired players after every rumor posted on pft.com. With that said, I'm sure this will be over within a matter of days.

Hopes your right.

Going away now.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score

Hmmm public image is only based on known facts, not the fans or public perception of the what is known or rumored.. I know in principle that is how life should be, don't worry about the public image, just deal with cold hard facts. If that was the case, lots of PR folks would be out of a job in the world of professional sports.

You run a very popular transparent business, and if Favre truly called and talked to the Head Coach about coming back, and reports are oozing from every little media spicket, in my opinion, you have to confront the mass of rumors and stories head on.. or the leech lickin bottomfeeders that most media outlets are will run with speculation wildly.. note everyone of the PFT rumors that circle the franchise like a hawk looking for a defenseless meal.. and so far we as a franchise have obliged.

I have made it clear, my opinion is neither party have handled this wisely.. time in my opinion to take control of the game that Cook is playing and squash this bleeding of a proud and very well ran franchise.. as the GM, close this out and then spin something to deflect the attention back to this competitive team and not a single player or decision..

Personally, I would throw my support behind a clear cut decision either way.. just end all the games that the media is allowed to play with our franchise.. our team... OUR PRIDE.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a lot of rumors though. Rumors of texts, rumors of phone calls, rumors of letters. Is GB supposed to throw a press conference every time? Or how about when Matt Jones gets released, and one of the potential teams to pick him up is GB? Press conference then too? Or since its about a player not with the team...don't discuss it and go about your business?

Almost over now...almost there...

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
There's a lot of rumors though. Rumors of texts, rumors of phone calls, rumors of letters. Is GB supposed to throw a press conference every time? Or how about when Matt Jones gets released, and one of the potential teams to pick him up is GB? Press conference then too? Or since its about a player not with the team...don't discuss it and go about your business?

Almost over now...almost there...

To me, there lies the catch as a franchise.. by doing nothing the media continues to run wild.. my opinion, when this hit the media frenzy last week, we needed a sharp response to the reports.. one encompassing report that made it clear that what is true from the franchises knowledge, and broadcast a statement that we are indeed dealing with the situation.

You insulate the amount of games that Favre/Cook can play as well as the media. Make no doubt about it, Cook leaked that information when the staff was out for a reason.. to strike hard in the PR war behind the scenes.. Cook is an agent, he could give 2 cents less about the franchise.. he is managing his client and his interests... which at the moment seem to be to play ball again.

An make no mistake about it, other players are watching how were are handling this.. what impact will that have on people wanting to come here.. don't know, but I am sure they are making note.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An make no mistake about it, other players are watching how were are handling this.. what impact will that have on people wanting to come here.. don't know, but I am sure they are making note.

And so far, I don't mind it. We got a guy pulling media theatrics, and the team isn't (publicly) budging. Are things being discussed behind the scenes? I'd bet my pinky finger on it, but from afar, it looks like we're just doing our thing.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:

And so far, I don't mind it. We got a guy pulling media theatrics, and the team isn't (publicly) budging. Are things being discussed behind the scenes? I'd bet my pinky finger on it, but from afar, it looks like we're just doing our thing.

I agree, if you can cut through the media garb.. but truly, how many players or agents really will look past the initial tone of the media.. which is that the Packers are ignoring Favre or worse yet, refuse to deal with the issue.

Perception.. the double edge sword of any public figure or entity..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Pack93z said:

I agree, if you can cut through the media garb.. but truly, how many players or agents really will look past the initial tone of the media.. which is that the Packers are ignoring Favre or worse yet, refuse to deal with the issue.

Perception.. the double edge sword of any public figure or entity..

This ignoring you speak of will be completely forgotten when an announcement is made though. It's a big deal now cuz thats where we are, waiting like the loyal fans we are. When the news breaks and this period is over, nobody will care about it.

Just like this whole ordeal will be forgotten if Favre ends up staying retired. Nobody will care. No player, no agent, not even the fans.

Members online

Latest posts